Forums > General > Alps driving holiday booked, what's your car adventure this year

ALPS DRIVING HOLIDAY BOOKED, WHAT'S YOUR CAR ADVENTURE THIS YEAR
Previous | 12 | Next

I am like a kid in a sweet shop, always wanted to drive the Alps and 2013 looks like the year.

Ok family comming as well, so no cornering on the door handles kind of antics, but not fussed, want to share the experience with them anyway. Going to fly to Milan and then pick up a hire car ( convertible golf), stay a day at lake Como, then off to the passes.....pretty much all of them. Take in the vistas, the food and the roads.

Summer can not come soon enought.

Write up, pics and vid will follow.

--

My Glass is always half full

Having got the 330i, the Mrs is actually now enthusiastic about doing a driving holiday - it's only taken me 10 years to convince her :lol:

We're actually currently debating options. I think this year may have to be cheap so France wins on that score, but she wants to tour northern Italy, taking in MotoGP at Mugello and visits to Maranello and Sant A'Gata. :D

We're doing an Alps driving holiday with 27 other cars... Oh dear.

Alpine Run

We are my new M3, an M3 E46 SMG, a 997TT, 2 x XKRs and an MP4-12C. The others are mostly M3s of all vintages (one E92 with 650bhp) and few RS4s, 1Ms etc etc.

Mental, but awesome.

:P

Updated January 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

--

I like it round the 'ring.

Not tempted to get the family to fly, you take the Ferrari and do the passes with them in that?

No plans for me, too little cash. But getting the 7 out of hibernation and giving it some TLC then spanking it all summer will be enough I think.

Swervin_Mervin said...

Having got the 330i, the Mrs is actually now enthusiastic about doing a driving holiday - it's only taken me 10 years to convince her :lol:

We're actually currently debating options. I think this year may have to be cheap so France wins on that score, but she wants to tour northern Italy, taking in MotoGP at Mugello and visits to Maranello and Sant A'Gata. :D

I'd drive through Southern France into Northern Italy.

I've done Lake Garda, Lake Como, Florence, Milan, Ducati factory and F1 at Monza and it beats Nice/Monaco et al hands-down (I did them in the same trip).

:lol:

Updated January 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM

--

Did the alps/como trip last year - definitely a worthwhile thing to do - just make sure you have a little time to play on your own without the wife/kids. I had a long afternoon on stelvio and loved it.

--

Cheers

Rich

The alps are sh*te. Stay well away is my advice.

--

Speed holes.

Marv said...

Why so?

--

speedingfine said...

Not tempted to get the family to fly, you take the Ferrari and do the passes with them in that?

No plans for me, too little cash. But getting the 7 out of hibernation and giving it some TLC then spanking it all summer will be enough I think.

It was a consideration, as was the over night motor rail. However whilst practical enought 4 up and luggage is a bit tight, certainly for 3hours driving and full days every day. But perhaps above all I reasoned that nothing destroyes a holiday more than a breakdown and pushing a 20y old Ferrari over pass after pass might be a test too far......I bottled it.

But when I win the lottery I'll pay for you all to drive the alps.

Rich, I saw some of the stuf you posted up after your trip, very inspirational

Updated January 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

--

My Glass is always half full

I understand your fears. On my last two European driving holidays my 996 Turbo packed up.

Turbo hose the first time, rescued in Luxembourg and fixed by RSR at the 'Ring. Alternator the next time and recovered back to the UK on the way back from Monaco. Not fun, hence a much newer edition to the family....

:)

--

I'll be riding through France then across to Italy, and back again, with my bikey chums. Hoping to drop into ducati while we're there, amongst others. Col de la Bonette is on the cards too.

Updated January 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Barry said...

I'll be riding through France then across to Italy, and back again, with my bikey chums. Hoping to drop into ducati while we're there, amongst others. Col de la Bonette is on the cards too.

Lucky man, I miss my bikes. Flogged my Hayabusa and 996SPS when I bought the 996TT. Whilst that was obscenely fast it never quite filled the hole :cry:

--

We have tried to get over there every year of late, managed a few trips now, across Spain and France yr before last, tis a riot. I'm tempted to change my faithful old FZ1 for something a bit daft this time, a gixxer 1000 maybe, just for giggles on the peage if nothing else. I'll still have the little Fazer for sensible at least.

habanero said...

Marv said...

Why so?

I want them to stay traffic free for when I do my yearly trip :lol:

--

Speed holes.

Markcoopers said...

speedingfine said...

It was a consideration, as was the over night motor rail. However whilst practical enought 4 up and luggage is a bit tight, certainly for 3hours driving and full days every day. But perhaps above all I reasoned that nothing destroyes a holiday more than a breakdown and pushing a 20y old Ferrari over pass after pass might be a test too far......I bottled it.

But when I win the lottery I'll pay for you all to drive the alps.

Rich, I saw some of the stuf you posted up after your trip, very inspirational

Bottling it is well understood, I've done it with my Caterham and going to the Nurburgring enough times ;) Just to keep the dream alive though... could you not hire locally quite quickly IF it broke down and repatriate it? Would be a major ballache even if it went well, so feel free to ignore :D

Just to interject, I did my one euro-trip in 2007 in my E30 325i. Was magic, just as good as all those motoring writers make it sound ;)

Any excuse :twisted::

No Alpine action for me this year, hoping to go and see what kind of roads those daft Sweaty Socks have to offer though.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

;)

Updated January 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

--

Speed holes.

Hi Marv,

I wouldn't mind a go in your car, can I borrow it?

Thanks!

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I remember we had a flat tyre in France a few years ago so found the nearest BMW dealer on the GPS, went there and they repaired the tyre as a temporary measure :shock: Still, it worked for another 20,000 miles despite everyone saying you will die if you do it.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Done one already. Drove down to Milan for Christmas, then on to Le Marche to pick up my other half from her family and then back up to Megeve in the Alps over NYE for skiing before returning to the UK. Worked in visits to Basle, Maranello and Bologna along the way too. 2 weeks and 2,100 miles all told. Car was brilliant.

Maranello:

Alps:

No artsy side-of-the-road scenic shots as my other half tends to think it's weird to photograph the car.

Updated January 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

--

Exploring the dark side in a brace of Bavaria's finest.

http://www.auto-journals.com/journals/BMW?model=Z1&journal=188

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular