Forums > General > engines for sale?

ENGINES FOR SALE?
Previous | 1 | Next

probably going to get abused but fvck it. looking for an air cooled beetle engine. since my brothers moving to uni in a few months the garage is pretty much empty so I wanted to buy a simple vw beetle engine to disassemble, assemble and all that to help with my knowledge of engines. already got a basic idea of how they work but it would be a great help for going into a career in mechanics. anybody know any websites where engines are sold cheap? cant find any just engines for sale. cheers.

--

Pain don't hurt

Scrap yard ??

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

If the garage is empty, why stop at just and engine? Get a cheap car and do it up, by the time you've passed your test it could be your gleaming pride and joy!

Updated January 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

There's a site called eBay that sells stuff?

--

Cheers

Rich

Why a beetle engine in particular.

Sure they're simple to take to bits and mend, but they're also ancient and won't teach you much about how Amy modern engine fits together or works.

Just go on eBay, put 'engine' and filter by closest to you.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

duncs500 said...

If the garage is empty, why stop at just and engine? Get a cheap car and do it up, by the time you've passed your test it could be your gleaming pride and joy!

I'd really love to but there will be a lot of gym equipment left and we'll probably have to hold onto it until my brother gets his own place where it will all fit. also, the garage isnt that big. I've always wanted something cheap with a simple engine like a beetle but space is the only real issue. theres a guy at the end of my road whos got 2 and does them up, might go and talk to him when I see him out of the house.

--

Pain don't hurt

integrale_evo said...

Why a beetle engine in particular.

Sure they're simple to take to bits and mend, but they're also ancient and won't teach you much about how Amy modern engine fits together or works.

Just go on eBay, put 'engine' and filter by closest to you.

i wanted a beetle engine because i rememeber ed china saying that they were the easiest engine to work on and how tinkering with a cheap beetle engine was how he learned about engines and got his knowledge. also lots of cosworth engines on ebay bit out of my budget :lol:

--

Pain don't hurt

--

How about not having a sig at all?

There's the question of tools as well. ime Engines are a ballache to move around once out of a car unless you have a lift and stuff. I imagine a beetle engine is fairly light but it'd still be a pain.

--

just the tip

Should be able to buy a 1.4 16v rover k-series engine for £50. Modern construction, light enough to be able to move the bits around on your own.

I've got one you could have for free. Unfortunately it's already in bits and probably hundreds of miles from you.

It was also the first engine I ever took to bits after the cambelt slipped, and went on to do many thousand more miles.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

Should be able to buy a 1.4 16v rover k-series engine for £50. Modern construction, light enough to be able to move the bits around on your own.

I've got one you could have for free. Unfortunately it's already in bits and probably hundreds of miles from you.

It was also the first engine I ever took to bits after the cambelt slipped, and went on to do many thousand more miles.

sure im having a look at them now. and if their in caterhams then they cant be that bad! cheers for the offer but im probably miles away.

--

Pain don't hurt

integrale_evo said...

Should be able to buy a 1.4 16v rover k-series engine for £50. Modern construction, light enough to pull out of the car without a crane...to be able to move the bits around on your own.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Cameron_Hill said...

integrale_evo said...

sure im having a look at them now. and if their in caterhams then they cant be that bad! cheers for the offer but im probably miles away.

given your word useage I am thinking NE of England.

get a sciecento or japanese microcar?

zedleg said...

There's the question of tools as well. ime Engines are a ballache to move around once out of a car unless you have a lift and stuff. I imagine a beetle engine is fairly light but it'd still be a pain.

I did think that too - so what about a cheap motorbike engine?

It sounds fact but there's a lot to be learned from an RC Nitro car, see if you can run one then keep it tuned. It's quite a challenge for someone new to engines and you can do it all indoors in the warmth. You'll pick up a bit about chassis' and systems too, plus in the bits where it does work you can use it for a bit of fun. Also read around on the differences between a four and a two stroke engine, different fuel tyres (nitro vs petrol vs diesel, you could get ultra small capacity diesels) and if you're feeling really adventurous look at BMEP and power calculations; how much power does a car with X mass, Z transmission loss and Y frontal aero and drag need to go a B speed up C gradient.

If you want a full size motor to rebuild then a K series or a Ford Pinto engine would be nice a simple. A Haynes manual will tell you all you need to know, a decent tool kit and a torque wrench and you'll have a nice challenge. Infact, get a knackered motor and why not rebuild it with new bearings, piston rings, seals etc and sell it when you're done? Plenty of kit cars/vans out there that require a rebuilt Pinto.

As has been said further up a shed of car that you "do-up" would be the best option. Rebuild the engine with new seals, rings, bearings etc etc, redo the suspension and bearings, thorough service and you'll be right for future car purchases.

I once built is a caterfield-esque kit car and learned a lot from it. One of the first engines I rebuilt was a V8, so don't go small, go main stream :D;)

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular