Forums > General > Greedy sportsmen

GREEDY SPORTSMEN
Previous | 1234 | Next

When £400k a year is not enough... Jesus wept :evil:

Click

Back in September, he bought a 60-plate Nissan GT-R to go with his F430 Spider and still likes a winge.

He has a point tho.

Last weeks london tournament at ally pally had some decent money. I watched one of the semis on saturday night. It was 5 all in sets and tight last frame. The time was about midnight and the commentator actually said he was surprised so many people were still watching it.

Not exactly building it up are they :roll:

I don't think he does have a point. He's comparing snooker to golf and tennis - 2 worldwide popular, lucrative sports which snooker cannot compete against. It's all down to supply and demand and snooker players are paid what they're worth in relation to money generated from the game.

Then you've got Mark Selby who's incredibly grateful for the £175,000 Masters winners cheque and earning a very very good living doing what he loves and is passionate about.

It beats the living hell out of working and being in the real world :roll:

Not exactly an exciting spectator sport at the end of the day tho. Bit like crown green bowling :lol:

i lump snooker in with cricket, and below golf in terms of interesting-to-take-part-but-unbearably-dull-to-watch sports. tennis is only interesting if you've got interesting (not necessarily 'good') players, like Nadal.

I love playing snooker with friends, but I won't watch them play each other, and I won't turn on the tv to watch some bloke i don't know play some other bloke i don't know. i'd rather watch a gardening show :/

Bit of a n0b our little trump, isn't he? I guess it's more difficult to accept for this new generation as there was, relatively speaking, much more money in snooker back in the day with 'baccy sponsorship etc. I don't mind watching snooker but it really only gets properly interesting in deciding frames in the world champs finals.

I don't think life on the tennis tour is a barrel of laughs in the lower eschelons either. Was it the Ward british guy who broke through at Queens last year, and said his earning for the year up to that point were about £10k? Ie. below the cost of his air fares.

I think golf is pretty tough in its own way too though, granted, once you're in the top few hundred in the world you can get very wealthy very quickly.

Trump thinks he's the next Ronnie O'Sullivan i.e a genius but a total cock . Shame he's only the latter.

I like both playing and watching snooker. But playing only made me realised how hard it is.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

phut said...

i lump snooker in with cricket, and below golf in terms of interesting-to-take-part-but-unbearably-dull-to-watch sports. tennis is only interesting if you've got interesting (not necessarily 'good') players, like Nadal.

I love playing snooker with friends, but I won't watch them play each other, and I won't turn on the tv to watch some bloke i don't know play some other bloke i don't know. i'd rather watch a gardening show :/

I struggle to stay interested in most sports when they are on the TV but you can't beat watching a bit of cricket somewhere in the summer. Even if I mainly haven't a clue what's happening. Clumber Park is quite good if you take a picnic and a few drinks, just don't park your car in the firing line :shock:

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

He should have a footballer.

speedcamera said...

Bloody hell, is that how you cheer yourself up? :lol:

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

Gayer

John said...

speedcamera said...

Bloody hell, is that how you cheer yourself up? :lol:

It's his own fault for being good at the wrong sport.

Greedy......... Please complete.Unfortunately greed is a human trait and not just confined to sportsmen

It's not a big money sport - there's not the huge global TV audience of football, or the massive sponsorships of sports like golf where there's a planet full of wealthy country club types to sell posh kit to.

There are LOTS of people working far harder, putting themselves at much greater risks, to get to the top of their sports who make a fraction of what he does. They're unlikely to be in a possible winning (or even earning) state at 35, let alone the 50+ of the snooker players.

But these guys wear shirts, waistcoats & dickiebows rather than sportswear Simon. Surely that makes them worth more? :?

He may have a point to some extent, but he is also not accurrate - in tennis, which is far more competitive today (i.e. I'm pretty sure there are many more people trying to live from professional tennis than from professional snooker) players ranked between 150 and 200 may also struggle (ironically for some of the same reasons he mentions, as the cost of travelling).
My guess is that the lack of regulation that allows the top players to have huge revenues also concentrates the money available to a very small number of players, so I find it funny when people benefiting from this system complain about its other consequences.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Am I the only person that reckons I could pick up golf well enough to get into the top 400 or so? How hard can it be?

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

What % of the skill of a professional golfer do you believe you have at the moment Rev?

I seem to remember someone deciding that Darts wasn't that hard and despite never having done it, took a year off to do nothing but learn to play darts to a professional level. IIRC, he won about £30k.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

NotoriousREV said...

Am I the only person that reckons I could pick up golf well enough to get into the top 400 or so? How hard can it be?

quite a few guys I went to school with tried to turn pro golfers - they used to play practice holes every free period/every evening at the range/every weekend. Several are pro now, but I don't think any of them are earning big money. The competition is huge and you have to 100% devote yourself to it.

--

Cheers

Rich

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular