Forums > General > I wonder what it'd do on high boost?

I WONDER WHAT IT'D DO ON HIGH BOOST?
Previous | 12 | Next

Fun on the autobahn.

Updated January 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

That's just too fast.

if theres no speed limit on the autobahn why has he blocked his face? :?

There are plenty of bits that do have limits, that may be one of them. Those that are deristricted still have an advised limit of 130kph on them iirc.

200mph in a 2 litre Golf? Is it possible - even with a huuuuuuge turbot?

I need something with a turbot again :cry:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I have a clio turbo coming up for sale , tax , test and lots of HP

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

StEvie_200SX said...

with 1000bhp, I expect so :shock:

one of the other videos claims 100kph-200kph (62mph - 124mph) in 3.15 seconds :shock: and a 1/4 mile in 8.65 seconds.

mental :D

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

StEvie_200SX said...

Richard Meaden managed 227.080mph in a 2 litre Skoda.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

That is a pretty awesome fourth gear pull, fifth as well the way it picks up after the gearchange :shock:8)

Why do a lot of these guys drop into neutral after a hard pull, is it just bad habit or a way of keeping fuel going through to aid cooling? Just seems dodgy to remove drive like that, at those speeds, for no reason..

Cameron_Hill said...

if theres no speed limit on the autobahn why has he blocked his face? :?

You can still be done for dangerous driving (or the deutsch equiv) on the unrestricted sections.

StEvie_200SX said...

I'm ubér sceptical on this one. It's as aero dynamic as a house and I find it hard to believe.

theyre not as bad as you'd think.

a quick look online shows the mk2 golf has a drag coefficient of 0.34. a bugatti veyron is 0.36, the more aerodynamic veyron supersport is 0.348. a mk2 is also quite a small car so the frontal area will be quite low.

on the flip side, the drag it does make isn't 'usefull' drag which is making downforce, so I can imagine it feeling pretty scary above 140!

Updated January 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Barry said...

Why do a lot of these guys drop into neutral after a hard pull, is it just bad habit or a way of keeping fuel going through to aid cooling? Just seems dodgy to remove drive like that, at those speeds, for no reason..

To cool it down as quickly as possible, all cars like this will be very marginal on cooling. Not sure how removing the drive could be considered dodgy? Just lifting off would generate more weight transfer

--

Cheers,
Mike

Pulling a double ton and removing all drive, not a bad idea? I won't be trying it anytime soon is all. Cooling aspect makes sense but I think I'd prefer it if the ECU were told to bleed some fuel instead personally.

Barry said...

Pulling a double ton and removing all drive, not a bad idea? I won't be trying it anytime soon is all. Cooling aspect makes sense but I think I'd prefer it if the ECU were told to bleed some fuel instead personally.

I'd be more concerned about leaving it in gear. An engine like that could very easily lunch itself during or after such a run, so not having it connected to the wheels can only be a good thing.

What do you worry it would do?

--

Cheers,
Mike

Not worried what it will do, more what it won't.. should I need to take avoiding action etc. Its not exactly the taught method of driving is it, get up to high speed then coast along in case the engine blows.

Barry said...

Not worried what it will do, more what it won't.. should I need to take avoiding action etc. Its not exactly the taught method of driving is it, get up to high speed then coast along in case the engine blows.

If you are already going ~200mph you're unlikely to need the engine for avoiding action. :D

I've never really understood the fear of coasting that seems to exist in the Driving School/Pass Plus/IAM world. Maybe when cars had unreliable and rubbish breaks it made sense?

Certainly just lifting off in that situation would be a much worse idea. Significant weight transfer de-stabilising the car is not what you want at that speed. I don't imagine it's amazingly stable anyway.

--

Cheers,
Mike

caneswell said...

I don't imagine it's amazingly stable anyway.

This being my point I guess, I've driven cars at twice the UK limit and they always felt a bit loose and unnerving (unlike bikes at similar speeds), so I think I just like the idea of any weight transfer being on the front so I have steering and braking available, rather than waiting for it to shift forwards from a coasting position, should I need/want to adjust my course.

Not like I'll be having to test my theory out any time soon so its rather moot. :lol:

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular