Forums > General > £35k GT-Rs

£35K GT-RS
Previous | 1234567 | Next

EVO

Sadly I'm still a few quid short. Maybe next year.

Pretty bargainous though

Yep - one day...

(in green with some blue flame pipes)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Wait a few more years till they hit £20k, then do that Litchfield silly power upgrade.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

The fear, like the R34 before it, is when it's out of warranty. I wouldn't want a repair bill for one.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

exiges said...

The fear, like the R34 before it, is when it's out of warranty. I wouldn't want a repair bill for one.

I agree with this. Does apply to an awful lot of cars these days too.

If it wasn't for the huge running costs, then I'd be very tempted.

Service intervals and cost of consumables would be a killer. You can't argue with the value (purchase and running costs) of a Porsche...

This over a Porsche 1000000 times. the noise, looks, performance. Besides where I live every 50 year old has a sh!te second hand softtop Boxter so their image is a little tarnished.

--

Pain don't hurt

The guide appears to have no running/repair costs - is the full thing in the lastest issue?

--

Bunta's Tofu

A kind of side note off this thread.
Was looking at Nissan UK's website earlier. For a new GT-R, a 1 year up to 60,000 miles extended warranty is £2,658. A 2 year up to 100,000 miles is £6558.

F**k me that is expensive!

Updated January 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

A bit of a joke at that price, doesn't show much confidence in the build quality of the car does it?

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

That is cheap right enough but surely the point of buying Japanese is that it will never break??8)

Wise words by the "I bought one" chap in that article... ;)

Whilst we're plugging GT-R content on evo, for those of you who don't keep up with the blogs, I've been writing mine every other month, alternating with the printed mag:

Blog index

As for ruinous costs out of warranty, 1) there are aftermarket (and comprehensive) warranties available for a far more reasonable cost.
2) the costs are only ruinous when parts are sourced through the official NHPCs. Once you can you use an independent, they become far more reasonable.

Updated January 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

JohnmcS2000 said...

A kind of side note off this thread.
Was looking at Nissan UK's website earlier. For a new GT-R, a 1 year up to 60,000 miles extended warranty is £2,658. A 2 year up to 100,000 miles is £6558.

F**k me that is expensive!

What that tells me, is that I'd be budgeting for that as part of the running costs. If the warranty is expensive, you know the potential bills are going to be huge.

Still, if you can afford a £35k car, I assume that you can afford the £200/month warranty.

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

David_Yu said...

1) there are aftermarket (and comprehensive) warranties available for a far more reasonable cost.

Are there?

When I was looking into buying an AMG Merc, the forums were full of posts from people asking about warranties. It was pretty much unanimous that the only worthwhile warranty was the (expensive - £1500/year) warranty direct from Mercedes, as there were previous customers of companies like WarrantyWise and their ilk who'd had serious issues getting payouts for things like the autobox and folding roof, with them having to pay for stripdowns before they'd comply.

Whereas with Merc themselves, cases were solved with little hassle (or so I heard).

Updated January 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

Whilst looking for a new car recently, I spent a lot of time browsing the classifieds and went through the process of pricing up a used one (c.37k), just to see if it would be at all possible to run one for a couple of years. Although the initial outlay (even heavily financed on a user car pcp) was probably affordable (less than a new 135i), I decided that I would probably have to find around 2.5k a year for maintenance, and I could quite legitimately end up with a car sat around with no means of fixing it if anything went bang. Although they look attainable on a purchase price basis, it is a supercar, with supercar running costs and I just don't have that sort of money, even applying the most extreme man maths I could!

Cameron_Hill said...

This over a Porsche 1000000 times. the noise, looks, performance. Besides where I live every 50 year old has a sh!te second hand softtop Boxter so their image is a little tarnished.

GTR's sound a bit shite though and they aren't good looking.

Besides which I wasn't aware Porsche released a shite Boxster and I see a hell of a lot of Nissan Micras etc driven by the elderly ergo you are talking bollocks and will always assume that henceforth.

Cheers

Steve

(The Micra is a good car just used it in the context of this conversation)

Updated January 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM

MattyB_ said...

David_Yu said...

1) there are aftermarket (and comprehensive) warranties available for a far more reasonable cost.

Are there?

Yup, Middlehurst and Litchfield both offer their own warranties. Litchfield's covers any of their modified cars too, which is pretty good.

Budgeting £2.5k p.a. is way over the top for maintenance, unless you're including tyres and brakes in that.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Alan said...

I agree with this. Does apply to an awful lot of cars these days too.

Sure cars are more sophisticated engine management wise, but the amount of trickery and gizmos in a GTR is bewildering.

My memory is poor but aren't the engine and gearbox mated in some unique way making replacing one or the other a nightmare.

The whole "well if you can afford to buy a car for £x then you must be able to fix/warranty" argument is weak too. £6000 warranty on a £35,000 car is ridiculous.

The trouble with non-manufacturer-based warranties is generally their purpose is to take premiums and hand over as little back as possible by being smart with the small print while creating an illusion of reassurance in order to sell the vehicle.

Updated January 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Which I was - basically I thought that I would probably have to find 5k running it over 2 years for maintenance, incl consumables, which for me was just too much.

_Steveo_ said...

Cameron_Hill said...

GTR's sound a bit shite though and they aren't good looking.

Besides which I wasn't aware Porsche released a shite Boxster and I see a hell of a lot of Nissan Micras etc driven by the elderly ergo you are talking bollocks and will always assume that henceforth.

Cheers

Steve

(The Micra is a good car just used it in the context of this conversation)

looks are a matter of opinion. and there are a lot of rich men going through their mid life crisis in the area so a lot more porsches than micras. and from a visual point of view i stick by my point that this era boxter is sh!t.

Updated January 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

--

Pain don't hurt

Previous | 1234567 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular