Forums > General > Anything I can do (boiler issue)?

ANYTHING I CAN DO (BOILER ISSUE)?
Previous | 12 | Next

So the agents have sent a plumber out, and as expected they need parts, so 'maybe tomorrow' is the answer to when will it be fixed.

It's 8 degrees in the flat now, and the water is ice cold, so no chance of showers either.

Is there anything I can do, or get the agents to do? Do they have any responsibility to provide a reasonable living space for us, or is it just our tough luck until it's fixed?

I haven't asked for anything yet, or complained, but the fridge wasn't working when we moved in, and it took them a couple of weeks to sort out the simple task of buying a new one.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

If it's a rented propery, IIRC, you're entitled to a refund of rent for every day you're without a boiler

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

8 degrees ?

I'd be asking about double glazing and insulation :shock:

_Mick_N said...

8 degrees ?

I'd be asking about double glazing and insulation :shock:

Yeah, the place doesn't retain heat very well, wooden single glazing stuff. I'm sure there'd be a rule somewhere about everything having to match as well, it's a bit of a snooty development. My neighbour told me that people would complain if a bike rack was installed in the grounds as I queried why there wasn't one.:roll:

Owning your own proper house FTW, you lucky folk.

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Rich and I once spent Nov-Jan in a rented property without heating when the forced air heating system went all carbonmonoxony on us.

It was fapping cold, but I fondly remember evenings sat in front of the telly in sleeping bags, cold beers in hand :D

In fairness when it did finally get fixed they spent about £3k (IIRC) plumbing the whole house putting radiators in each room, which was a big improvement over the forced air stuff.

We should have probably wormed our way out of some rent too though, but since they didn't seem that bothered when we were a month or two behind, it seemed a bit rude to kick up too much of a fuss about the whole thing.

Ask the landlord if they've got any electric heaters you can use?

They'll obviously only warm one room up and they're a fire risk too :lol:

There is a lovely new leisure centre just down the hill, go get warm and clean there :P

Oh and you've got a text

Updated January 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

--

Ben

No help, but my boiler sh1t its biscuits the other week. Took 4 weeks to fix and cost £570.

Although it does remind me of that Peep Show scene:

"A new boiler. Surely the least enjoyable way to spend £1000. At least throwing the money out of the window you'd see the scrabbling mass, the hate-filled faces. I have spent a cool grand on acquiring the resumption of an equitable temperature"
:lol:

"You want to trick the boiler?"

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

Tell them to get you some heat, or you'll get it yourself & offset the cost against next months rent?

Gotta be worth a shout?

Oh, & no immersion heater?

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

You have to be reasonable about how long it takes to fix, as a landlord I would expect to fix it within 5 working days max. If its more than 1 day I supply oil filled electric rads for each used bedroom and the living room.

Tenants often forget that it couldn't be repaired any quicker if they owned the house and soon want some sort of compo.

Be grateful I wouldn't buy my house electric rads if my heating didn't work for a day , the kids would just wear more clothes :D

Ben__B said...

There is a lovely new leisure centre just down the hill, go get warm and clean there :P

Oh and you've got a text

Replied, cheers!

Marv - Tried that, and nope.:(

We'll muddle on through, a quick bit of googling suggests there's not much I can do. Has to be fixed within a 'reasonable amount of time' as I understand it.

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Sorry

Dinny_G said...

If it's a rented propery, IIRC, you're entitled to a refund of rent for every day you're without a boiler

Not true - if the landlord has been reasonable in trying to get it repaired you're not entitled to any deduction at all, and could be evicted for non-payment of rent.

It's no different to owning a house and the boiler failing; you have to put up with it not being repairable immediately then, too.

Yeah, I wouldn't be witholding rent, bad references and credit are things that are not worth risking to save a couple of quid.

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

You have no electric / oil filled heater that any of your friends / family can lend you ?

Or god forbid go and buy one?

Renters - do my box in :lol:

SimonB said...

You have no electric / oil filled heater that any of your friends / family can lend you ?

Or god forbid go and buy one?

Renters - do my box in :lol:

:roll: Not really worth it at this stage, if it ends up being longer then I'll have to think again. As I said, we'll muddle on by, I was just interested to see if there was anything the agents should be doing.

Out of interest, how is the heater going to help having a shower? I know, I'll take it in with me!:idea:

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Do you have a kettle and a bath?

Jesus christ - have one of these :roll:

:lol:

Someone already made the obvious point, head to the gym/baths and use their warm showers in the meantime?

I suspect your rental contract is worded in the "allow reasonable time" to fix issues etc, meaning you'd have to demonstrate you were seriously put out by the outage before anyone would give you the time of day?

Sit in the lotus. Feel smug and bask in the warm glory that you have a fantastic car.

:D

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

SimonB said...

Do you have a kettle and a bath?

Or try a three bar fire and a bath.

"Shocking. Positively shocking"

B_T_S

--

There's no replacement for displacement

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular