Forums > General > AutoSocks

AUTOSOCKS
Previous | 12 | Next

Clicky

Anyone used these? I'm quite tempted to get a pair for the S6, since winters are £1300 a set!

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

A point to note.

They're good for when you need a paddle but that's all they're intended for.

--

A Christ is for life, not just for dogmas.

Get in the back of the van

They would have helped a BMW 5 series today that was stuck in my local Countrywide carpark :)

I can see the appeal but more of a temporary solution to get you out of trouble ?

Updated January 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I wasn't advocating putting them on in October and taking them off again in March!

But for situations like this week, where we've had a massive dump of snow which has lasted a few days, they seem like a good solution.

--

Tim

I'd personally only use them as a get out of trouble device should you get stuck, I couldn't trust them in other situations or for extended periods.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Was disappointed to see some of those on a Police car today, surely winters are a no brainer for them? They must get through a set of tyres ever 6 months anyway.

--

Cheers,
Mike

I have a set in the boot, yet to need them but its reassuring knowing they're there.

I've used socks on my Focus and they work ok. However, once you've driven on tarmac or if you drive too fast they're ruined. Good to get out of a sticky situation but winters are a no brainer for everyday driving.

I only got them 'cos they didn't do chanins for the tyre size at the time. I would recommend chains over socks anyday.

Updated January 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

--

Nuts on the road

I have a set of theseTo aid getting off ungritted roads. Had to use them once, with no issues and took minutes to put on. Simply removed them when a decent cleared roads. Saves having to shovel wheel tracks.

They only list up to 18inch wheels my fellow over sized wheeled chum. No good for your 19s?

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

They only list up to 18inch wheels my fellow over sized wheeled chum. No good for your 19s?

Negative. clicky for 19s yo

--

Tim

Ah yes, if you change the width it opens up the options - useful.

--

Cheers

Rich

I think they're a good idea but rubbish in practice. By the time you've got out the car, got a face full of white stuff and fitted them, been covered in snow (invariably I'm wearing a suit) and then I have to reclear the car windows with the scraper to drive a few mile down the road only to take the b'stards off again. Then get stuck a bit further along the road.

Nah. Part worn winters would be my first port of call!

What OC said. Cept I can't get Winters.
I'd need 4xsnowsocks for rwd, and for that reason I just took a day off.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

I've seen two vehicles wearing them today - a Saab 9-5 estate which lives locally and looked really sad driving to Co-op while we walked, and a British Gas Transit Connect on the main road. Not sure I'd bother.

Orange Cola said...

I think they're a good idea but rubbish in practice. By the time you've got out the car, got a face full of white stuff and fitted them, been covered in snow (invariably I'm wearing a suit) and then I have to reclear the car windows with the scraper to drive a few mile down the road only to take the b'stards off again. Then get stuck a bit further along the road.

With these snow socks, what happens in the situation where the snow compacts and pretty much turns into a layer of ice? I assume they'd be even worse than a summer tyre?

Marv said...

Orange Cola said...

With these snow socks, what happens in the situation where the snow compacts and pretty much turns into a layer of ice? I assume they'd be even worse than a summer tyre?

Read the FAQ on the site. They appear to work very well in those circs.

--

Tim

I have a set in the boot for emergencification purposes. Never had to use them yet.

Ill just borrow a set from Mik should the need ever arise.

Cheers

Steve

I just wrap my 2 bf's round the tyres should I get caught out.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular