Forums > General > bacon pondering

BACON PONDERING
Previous | 12 | Next

Ok, so we all know you can't get "proper" back bacon in Foreignland - they all seem to prefer that streaky 5h1t instead.

So what does Johnyforeignbutcher do with that bit then?

Wikipedia says "In continental Europe, this part of the pig is usually not smoked like bacon is in the United States; it is used primarily in cubes (lardons) as a cooking ingredient, valued both as a source of fat and for its flavor. In Italy, this is called pancetta and is usually cooked in small cubes or served uncooked and thinly sliced as part of an antipasto."

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

What wiki said. I quite like streaky bacon in certain circumstances though. Crispy bacon and pancakes with maple syrup ftw.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I like streaky - it's like an extra long bit of the tasty part of back bacon. But I like it when its dry cured and not pumped full of water, so still not a big fan of continental bacon.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Funny enough, I'm reading this forum eating a bacon sarnie! Trying the Marco P White method of microwaving it...4 rashers, 2:30, full power = pretty damn good

--

Cheers,

Ian

I thought this was going to be a thread about the disappointment that is going to breakfast at a hotel and finding its not smoked bacon :?

Streaky bacon is good for pies and stuff but as standalone bacon it's just wrong.

Microwave bacon, how unpleasant!:P

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Jobbo said...

I like streaky - it's like an extra long bit of the tasty part of back bacon. But I like it when its dry cured and not pumped full of water, so still not a big fan of continental bacon.

I was talking about watery bacon yesterday at work. There's nothing more disappointing than getting served bacon that's covered in that scummy white stuff.

--

I often drive for a road travel

duncs500 said...

I'm going to give it a try.

Zonda_ said...

duncs500 said...

I'm going to give it a try.

I've seen it done. But I like my bacon to be firm, and it stays all rubbery if you microwave it.

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Microwaved bacon? Urgh!

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

My wife has started serving lardons (no sniggering at the back)and I find them OK in small quantities in a creamy chicken dish but rather salty as a main meat source.

duncs500 said...

Duncs is correct.

Fried > grilled > deep fried*

*:lol:

1anf said...

Funny enough, I'm reading this forum eating a bacon sarnie! Trying the Marco P White method of microwaving it...4 rashers, 2:30, full power = pretty damn good

Under the grill I like it crispy but it's surprisingly tasty done in a microwave.

Marv said...

duncs500 said...

Duncs is correct.

Fried > grilled > deep fried*

*:lol:

I actually prefer grilled.:oops:

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Grilled for me as well. Get that fat just on the soft side of crispy. Plus, if you get rind-on from the butcher's (like wot we all used to eat) the rind crisps up like a thin piece of crackling. Mmmm

Updated January 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Swervin_Mervin said...

Grilled for me as well. Get that fat just on the soft side of crispy. Plus, if you get rind-on from the butcher's (like wot we all used to eat) the rind crisps up like a thin piece of crackling. Mmmm

I'm going round Swervs for bacon sarnies. Sounds just about perfect for me.8)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

We get it from the butchers extra thick cut with the rind on - chop the rind off and dry fry it until it's super crispy and serve it to the kids as a plate of fried worms!

They believed me for the first few times!

--

Don't play with a girl's heart, it's easily broken and she only has one. Play with her boobs instead, they're bouncy and she has two of those.

Daddydadbo said...

My wife has started serving lardons (no sniggering at the back)and I find them OK in small quantities in a creamy chicken dish but rather salty as a main meat source.

I used to use them in bolognese. Fry them first, then add onion/celery/carrot/whatever you use in your recipe.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular