Forums > General > Built or bought?

BUILT OR BOUGHT?
Previous | 12 | Next

if you had the money and the time would you rather build a car from the ground up using aftermarket parts and making some of your own, or buy a brand new car? example - lamborghini gallardo or a custom built souped up caterham? personally im for built not bought.

Get something like this, put a bigger motor in it, upgrade the other oily bits accordingly but keep it looking as close to standard as possible. Pretty much my ideal car 8).

--

I often drive for a road travel

nice truck. who doesnt love the ford f series? the one in expendables is properly nice.

Aye I think that's one of Stallone's personal cars.

I'd really like a F100 van but they're harder to find. I nearly bought one a few years ago because it was cheap, needed too much work though. The guy had put a diesel Transit engine in it and used it as a works van for a few years, the whole floor was rotted through.

--

I don't have the skills so I'll leave it to Horacio's boys to build the last last last? Zonda to my spec.

Cameron_Hill said...

if you had the money and the time would you rather build a car from the ground up using aftermarket parts and making some of your own, or buy a brand new car? example - lamborghini gallardo or a custom built souped up caterham? personally im for built not bought.

When you've 100% built your own car, come and talk to us about built or bought.

It's not as if it's that black & white, anyway. Unless you really can cast your own engine blocks.

--

Out of step with the forum.

This "built v bought" thing is very American. Reminds me of the silly stuff canyon cock said.

I'd like both.

--

Cheers

Rich

zedleg said...

I'd really like a F100 van but they're harder to find. I nearly bought one a few years ago because it was cheap, needed too much work though. The guy had put a diesel Transit engine in it and used it as a works van for a few years, the whole floor was rotted through.

not a very good example but the vans are utterly cool. did you get to drive it?

I think the Canyonator meant built = modified.

As in 'The Lotus Exige was a shit car until I worked my magic'.

--

This ^

Bought. I'd be happy to contribute to the build process but personally wielding a spanner doesn't appeal.

--

BMW Car Magazine

Summat like this for me;

Hmm, thinking of JustMax' comment, I'd go for Mr.Pagani's take-on-the-above-so-it's-not-a-Zonda :P

Maybe something really perverse, like Ron Dennis' take on the above...

I guess Bryn doesn't need to comment in this thread :D

--

Moon on a stick.

I'd love a Singer 911 but I think I'd be more than content with a GT3 fresh from the showroom.

The idea of modding a car to suit my own perverse preferences is a nice thought, but I just want a reliable car that I can abuse all day long, and that means trusting a large motoring Corp to do all the R&D for me I suspect.

nuttinnew said...

Summat like this for me;

Hmm, thinking of JustMax' comment, I'd go for Mr.Pagani's take-on-the-above-so-it's-not-a-Zonda :P

Maybe something really perverse, like Ron Dennis' take on the above...

I guess Bryn doesn't need to comment in this thread :D

The Foose Hemisfear? those things are awesome. I prefer the challenger Foose modified though. hes got the best taste when it comes to customising muscle cars.

Updated January 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Cameron_Hill said...

zedleg said...

not a very good example but the vans are utterly cool. did you get to drive it?

Didn't see the point. I wasn't going to buy it and I've driven Transits before :lol:.

--

So either a car from a maker or a monstrosity from West Coast Customs or the dafties that humped a Saab 900 for Martin Kemp?

I'll have a normal car please.

Daddydadbo said...

So either a car from a maker or a monstrosity from West Coast Customs or the dafties that humped a Saab 900 for Martin Kemp?

I'll have a normal car please.

that martin kemp saab is disgusting. looks like it came from darth vaders wife's dild0 collection.

I'd love to build (or have built) an ultimate spec Ultima GTR, and update it with my own little bits here and there. I'd need something reliable as well though.

Updated January 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I think I didn't phrase the question right. If you could have a reliable everyday car, and then either a off the factory floor car or one you could tune and add parts to which would you choose?

Cameron_Hill said...

I think I didn't phrase the question right. If you could have a reliable everyday car, and then either a off the factory floor car or one you could tune and add parts to which would you choose?

I'm assuming my reliable everyday car is a 997 GT3, so the above still applies.

Edit - RS of course.

Updated January 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I don't believe that tinkering could / would produce anything any better than the result of professional R&D from a competent manufacturer.
However being able to define and refine the specs of a car beyond the available standard options would be appealing - money being no object I'd rely on whatever "special project" department of an established manufacturer for that.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular