Forums > General > Relocating

RELOCATING
Previous | 1234 | Next

I know a fair few of you on here have a good knowledge of this so i'm hoping someone has some helpful hints for me
Sorry if this gets a bit long :)
We live currently in Leeds.
Me and the other half grew up around here and except for a 3 year period when she went to uni have always been around this area.
We have moved house 3 times in 4 years and can't seem to settle anywhere and we both love Chester and are seriously thinking of moving there (renting btw)

I'm at a loss what to do, i can commute easily enough to my job in Leeds as its only 73 miles, i think NotRev is doing about the same distance everyday (and about the same journey?), i'll be getting a Saxo 1.5d to minimize costs for this part.
It should cost abot £60 a week in fuel so thats fine.

The other half is a newly qualified teacher so will be looking for a job to start in summer.
So i think thats the major stuff (except a house!)
We have seen a few homes the same size as ours for the same cost a month so that shouldnt be a problem either.

I think i will find it odd not having my friends and family close? This is literally all that is stopping me pusing the button and going, how did everyone cope when they moved away?
Sorry for going on a bit just a bit anxious dont really feel comfortable talking to my friends as last time they all went off on one saying they would never see me but it's hardly a big distance and surely if they value the friend ship that much a hour and half drive isnt much to do? :?

The commute will be an absolute nightmare. I lived in Chester for 6 years and commuted to Manchester which took about an hour and a half, so you would be doing well to get to Leeds in 2 hours even if you leave at the crack of dawn.

But Chester and the surrounding areas are very pleasant and I did like living there, although I can't see myself returning even though I still own my house there.

Edited to add - I actually moved away to be closer to family and friends again, but it depends how old you are and how soon you might consider having kids etc.

Cheers,
Bryn.

Updated January 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

--

Performance Legends

True friends and family always stick together and make an offer to meet up with each other once in a while.

Plus you didn't really think about staying in the same place or area for the rest of your life? Not saying it's a bad thing but people move away. That's life.

I had set aside about 2 hours 15/30 for my drive to work in morning/home.
I used to do it a lot when the other half was at uni in Chester when i worked in Bradford so i'm ok with the distance)
Never seemed that bad to me but i appreciate the traffic will be horrendous.
Chester is lovely, where are you now Bryn? WHat made you move?

4+ hours driving per day (on top of your work hours) would be bad enough in a 5 Series. Doing all that in a diesel Saxo would be torture.

I'm not sure you could do 700+ miles for £60 either.

--

This ^

Thats a really long commute. It might be ok for the first week or so, but i'd get bored of it very soon.

Take a day off work and drive along the m62 and back at peak times each way. I live by junction 26 and its horrendous and getting worse constantly. If you like the feel of Chester why not try York? Similar vibe and a hell of a lot more practical for work in Leeds?

We had a look at York but there isn't many jobs going there.
I dont mind the drive, as i said i used to do it at peak time 3/4 times a week in a 1.1 Cinquecento so im sure i'd be ok in a Saxo, if i do get uncofortable i'd take the Bravo instead but the Saxo will do 65-70 mpg and run on Veg oil so will be a lot cheaper to use as the Bravo only does 50 ish on the motorway.

Updated January 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

16vcento said...

I had set aside about 2 hours 15/30 for my drive to work in morning/home.
I used to do it a lot when the other half was at uni in Chester when i worked in Bradford so i'm ok with the distance)
Never seemed that bad to me but i appreciate the traffic will be horrendous.
Chester is lovely, where are you now Bryn? WHat made you move?

I'd say you'll be looking at a 5 hour round trip most days, which is no fun even without an 8 hour working day in addition. The M62 at rush hour has to be one of the worst places on earth and as you will know there is no alternative to the M53 if it's congested. I don't know if you've done it in rush hour but it will be horrific in my opinion... Rev has real world experience I think though.

You probably missed my edit but I moved away to be back near family and friends. I am in Liverpool/West Lancashire now and I love being back to be honest. I originally moved to Chester for a change and a new job but ended up staying there for a relationship which didn't end well. I was there for another 4 years after though as I did/do really like the area. It was always on the cards that I might move back this way, but a falling out with the guy I shared my premises with and a new relationship was the final motivation that I needed!

As I said above it depends where you're up to in life, but if you're where I was 10 years ago I'd go for it, commute aside.

Where would you be looking to live? Now I think about it, it was actually over 8 years that I was there and lived in a few different places in and around Chester.

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Found a few houses we both like around northgate village.
All have drives and garages so are perfect :D
We have both just gone 25, no children or plans anytime soon for them.
I think i would look for a more local job in the long term but stay where i am until i know the o/h is settled and if we both like it then buy a house out there.

16vcento said...

Found a few houses we both like around northgate village.
All have drives and garages so are perfect :D
We have both just gone 25, no children or plans anytime soon for them.
I think i would look for a more local job in the long term but stay where i am until i know the o/h is settled and if we both like it then buy a house out there.

If you can deal with the commute, then it sounds like a good time to do it :D

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

OK, my view:

I live just down the road from Chester in Runcorn and commute daily in the centre of Leeds (not far from Elland Road near ASDA.

The commute on a good day for me is 1hr 20 - 1hr 40. My record on a clear run is 1hr 6. My record at the other end of the scale is 3.5 hours.

It drives me mental and the only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that someone else is paying for the fuel and the car. Oh, and my job is great and pays well enough to make it worth my while.

The thought of doing it in a 1.5D Saxo at your own cost seems mental to me.

On the other hand, Chester is a much nicer place than Leeds (IMHO).

Seriously though, 3+ hours a day in a 1.5D Saxo? Just no.

--

Out of step with the forum.

More detail on the journey:

Depending on the time, the traffic this side of the Summit isn't too bad. I usually leave the house at 7:30. At this time the M56 is free flowing, as is the M6 over the Thelwall Viaduct. The M6/M62 interchange and the M62 up past Birchwood can be slow (adds 5 - 10 mins) then the M60 is usually suprisingly clear although it can get a bit hairy at the Bury turnoff (M6something). Then it's clear all the way to the Brighouse turnoff when you hit the roadworks.

Coming home, the biggest issue is where the M621 meets the M62 at Ikea. One day I'll murder a family here.

--

NotoriousREV said...

OK, my view:

I live just down the road from Chester in Runcorn and commute daily in the centre of Leeds (not far from Elland Road near ASDA.

The commute on a good day for me is 1hr 20 - 1hr 40. My record on a clear run is 1hr 6. My record at the other end of the scale is 3.5 hours.

It drives me mental and the only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that someone else is paying for the fuel and the car. Oh, and my job is great and pays well enough to make it worth my while.

The thought of doing it in a 1.5D Saxo at your own cost seems mental to me.

On the other hand, Chester is a much nicer place than Leeds (IMHO).

Seriously though, 3+ hours a day in a 1.5D Saxo? Just no.

Out of interest Where abouts do you work Rev? I work in Holbeck Urban Village close to Asda

Just round the corner at City Walk (by Bewleys Hotel)

--

If you're serious about the move to Chester and feel it's the right thing to do on a personal level, then I'd say go for it. If it was me though I'd be giving serious consideration to looking for another job that's at least no further than Manchester.

My dad refused to renew his contract in Leeds last year and he was commuting from J21! He's much happoer now he's commuting to Lytham St. Annes :lol:

And as Rev says, Chester is a much nicer place than Leeds. Maybe it's just me but I find the light to be a lot warmer once you get this side of the pennines/peak district, and especially once you get beyond the western fringes of Manchester.

All good points, Mike.

OP, what is it you do? Chester has good employment and Liverpool and Manc are both easily commutable.

--

I'm curious as to why Chester, specifically - there are other places around that are similarly 'not leeds' (having been there a couple of times, something I wholeheartedly agree with) but aren't £250/month in fuel costs away, surely?

IE a couple of hundred quid a month towards renting somewhere still local-ish, but in a nicer/quieter/not-leeds/whatever area.

Other thoughts are that I wouldn't be doing five hours commuting a day for anything less than £50k, if I'd do it at all - although maybe I'm spoiled by my torturous two minute commute. Or seven minutes on foot ;)

With a long (anything over an hour each way) commute I'd be more tempted to move closer to work if possible to gain back some of that valuable 'dicking about' time that commuting eats up for things like reading, cooking extravagantly on a whim on weeknights (not really possible if you get back in at 8pm), more time with the missus, and other things that a shorter commute give you.

IE if I was permanently sojourned to our York branch (an hour each way on average), I'd be looking at adding £200/month to my rent bill and moving to York - rather than spending that much again on petrol and losing at least two hours a day to traffic - and you are losing it, it's not like you can read a book on the A64.

As for friends and family, unless family are doing practical things for you, phone calls work well (I've always lived somewhere between 200 and 400 miles from my dad, not a massive problem) and it's not like you're moving to a different continent - you're just a couple of hours away. I go down to Kent from Scarbados a few times a year to see my mate Alex and some other people who have adopted me over the years :lol: and it's not a chore, and gives you an excuse to make more of an occasion out of the visits.

Social circles are pretty easily made if you're reasonably chatty, and selective...

What you are describing wouldn't work for me, but if you think you can handle the commute, then I don't see why you shouldn't at least try it - one of the benefits of renting is that you don't have to stick around if it turns out crap, so what's the worst that could happen?

I'm currently a technical adviser for manufacturer warranty on cars.
I have all my qualifications to go back on to shop floor and be a mechanic/technician again but I feel it would be a backwards step now.
Don't think I'd find any similar jobs to what I'm currently doing.

Thats a long, long commute fella.

I work all over the shop and it takes me an age and stresses me when I cant get to places ontime.

What about Chester for the wife and weekend and hotel it tue-thur ?

8h+5h = knackered poorly you.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular