Forums > General > The Highstreet

THE HIGHSTREET
Previous | 12 | Next

Jessops, HMV, Blockbuster... Who's next?
Argos? Obsolete catalogue shop.
Boots? Shop just for women selling stuff you can get in a supermarket.
Game? Are they still going?
WHSmiths? Printed media is dying, surely there aren't the margins.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Clothes, coffee and mobile phones will be the only things available soon.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Boots will be fine - it's alway busy in there & women need to try the cosmetics first. Good customer service and a great policy with returns.

Mentioned WHSmiths before - who needs it these days. You can browse mags online now instead of hanging by the racks for 20 minutes.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's them (Smiths). I guess a wifi coffee shop is the new man-park.

I can see an argument for clothes shops. And stuff you need to see and feel, like furniture.
Other tat, less so.

Updated January 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

--

Si_ said...

And stuff you need to see and feel, like furniture.

Furniture shops tend to be in retail parks rather than the high street though.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I think Argos will be ok, they have a pretty good online presence and their click and collect service is handy if you don't want to wait for stuff to be delivered.

I was surprised to see a Blockbusters store near me was still open, albeit about a quarter of the size it used to be. I guess even that will be gone now.

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

Game went bust already - there are a few stores which phoenixed.

CEX will die when online delivery becomes ubiquitous for console games. Probably got a few years left yet though.

As for who will be next after Blockbuster... French Connection seems the obvious candidate. Apparently there are 140 retailers on a critical watchlist though; I'd be most interested to see that list.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

I assumed FCUK had rebranded as Superdry :D

--

Business rates.

Dont exactly help any shop.

Si_ said...

I assumed FCUK had rebranded as Superdry :D

That was Cult Clothing.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Genius idea. Set up in these empty shops as somewhere to get all your mail order stuff delivered to when you are out...

--

Si_ said...

Genius idea. Set up in these empty shops as somewhere to get all your mail order stuff delivered to when you are out...

Not the stupidest idea I've heard today.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

I think Gamestation is what is killing off Game. Also before Steam was big you could find hundreds of PC games in any game shop, now there are only a few, and when the next gen consoles come out I reckon they will completely kill off the gaming shops so I'd give them another 2 years till they go kaput.
Argos seems to be doing alright? Always busy when I go to use them and fairly priced. Boots also appears busy but they're run by idiots who come up with stupid business ideas like when they started implementing dentists in all their shops.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Si_ said...

Already exists, doesn't it? Mailboxes Etc.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Mito Man said...

I think Gamestation is what is killing off Game.

This is absolute twaddle for the following reasons:

1. Game has already gone into administration, in 2012.
2. Gamestation was bought by Game in 2007. The brand Gamestation has been wound down.

The rump of Game was at least bought out so it continues to trade, but in a form with less debt and without the less profitable stores.

Clicky wiki

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

Si_ said...

Already exists, doesn't it? Mailboxes Etc.

I have no idea! I'm just reeling by not being able to have stuff delivered to work.

--

Jobbo said...

Mito Man said...

I think Gamestation is what is killing off Game.

This is absolute twaddle for the following reasons:

1. Game has already gone into administration, in 2012.
2. Gamestation was bought by Game in 2007. The brand Gamestation has been wound down.

The rump of Game was at least bought out so it continues to trade, but in a form with less debt and without the less profitable stores.

Clicky wiki

Haha, that makes it more loltastic, I know from friends working in Game in Cantebury that Gamestation is what killed them off there. Gamestation always had the better deals and had more launch copies of games and was located 100 yards up the road from Game, I can't believe that some idiot decided to run 2 shops which were essentially the same till one completely killed off the other.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mark BT52 said...

Clothes, coffee and mobile phones will be the only things available soon.

Add shoes to that too as you invariably need to try them on.

Been telling my wife and MIL this for about 3 years now, the MIL stubbornly refuses to believe it as she works in retail (but in one of the shops that probably wont go), these few only serve to re-enforce my dismal prediction.

Carl.

RIP to the High Street then:(

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Mito Man said...

Haha, that makes it more loltastic, I know from friends working in Game in Cantebury that Gamestation is what killed them off there. Gamestation always had the better deals and had more launch copies of games and was located 100 yards up the road from Game, I can't believe that some idiot decided to run 2 shops which were essentially the same till one completely killed off the other.

You don't believe 2 competing brands would open branches in the same area to fight for the same demand for a product?

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular