Forums > General > Thanks for that!

THANKS FOR THAT!
Previous | 1 | Next

Some twonk who lives on my relatively small road has managed to rid my car of its driver's side wing mirror in the night. I'm almost certain I heard it happen, too.

I've got their wing mirror glass so can start narrowing down my search. My question is, if I find the car how should I go about getting some sort of compensation?

I thought about leaving a note with my mobile number on plus threatening them with the police if they don't fess/cough up...

Why would you waste the Police time with a trivial matter like that ?

If you think you have found out who it is, knock on their door and ask them face to face ?

IsoSonic said...

Some twonk who lives on my relatively small road has managed to rid my car of its driver's side wing mirror in the night. I'm almost certain I heard it happen, too.

I've got their wing mirror glass so can start narrowing down my search. My question is, if I find the car how should I go about getting some sort of compensation?

I thought about leaving a note with my mobile number on plus threatening them with the police if they don't fess/cough up...

Report it to the police. The culprit will know they have done it and if they had any sort of decency they would have knocked on your door or left a note.Chance are even if you can prove it, they won't cough up.

Updated January 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

_Mick_N said...

Because it is an offence to damage people's property.If we keep saying something is too trivial to report to the police the number of "minor" incidents increase and increase, until they start to turn into bigger things.Just like the broken window syndrome

And the evidence is ?

I've got their cracked wing mirror, complete with two springs for the adjuster mechanism. If I can find a car with the nearside wing mirror missing/damaged, and the other just like the one I've got, then I'm pretty confident that is evidence, of sorts...

p7ulg said...

_Mick_N said...

Because it is an offence to damage people's property.If we keep saying something is too trivial to report to the police the number of "minor" incidents increase and increase, until they start to turn into bigger things.Just like the broken window syndrome

The problem is that this is such a small incident, the Police really won't be interested, especially if there's no way of proving who did it.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

To be honest, the last thing I want to do is get the police involved. I just thought a threat of doing that would give the would-be crim a shock and make them think twice about trying to 'get away with it'. It'll only cost £55 for a replacement, but it's still £55 out of my own pocket.

IsoSonic said...

To be honest, the last thing I want to do is get the police involved. I just thought a threat of doing that would give the would-be crim a shock and make them think twice about trying to 'get away with it'. It'll only cost £55 for a replacement, but it's still £55 out of my own pocket.

This is the problem, as why should you shell out £55. The next time will it be it is only a £100?Ignoring small incidents turns them into acceptable behaviour.

They didn't stop and knock your door. So they're hardly likely to give you 55 notes if you go cold knocking their door on the evidence that their wing mirror is damaged and so is yours. Could be coincidence. If they pay up they admit liability.

Just sayin'

--

BMW Car Magazine

My car was parked just across from my house in a very quiet road. I don't think it's fair to assume they would have come knocking, as they wouldn't know which house the owner lived in. That said, they most definitely should have left a note.

By complete coincidence, I've managed to track down a £30 replacement for sells on Gumtree, and the seller lives a few hundred yards away. Conspiracy, perhaps?...

Well what are the odds innit :)
Go round there and ask politely. Nowt to lose.

--

BMW Car Magazine

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular