Forums > General > Road driving techniques

ROAD DRIVING TECHNIQUES
Previous | 12 | Next

How about a thread for driving techniques and tips that come in handy on the road. Post one tip each and then let's see what the next person can come up with. Here's one to begin:

In an emergency situation (skid, potential crash etc), your subconscious reaction will be to steer the vehicle towards whatever you are looking at (target fixation). So, look at where you want to go, not where your vehicle is going (or pointing).

P.S. You are unlikely to do this instinctively, so practise it off-road (e.g. slides/skids on a skid pan, airfield day, track day, rally/off-road course etc); and mentally rehearse it at other times. Eventually it will become your second nature.

Yu style cadence braking :lol:

Don't leave the house without a Jorg Gray.

Mash and saw.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Skidpan.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Cadence accelaration

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

If in doubt flat out.

--

I often drive for a road travel

If your car spontaneously combusts, do not lock the doors and remain inside chanting.

Skidmarks

weld the accelerator to the back of the headlight

matt_d said...

In an emergency situation (skid, potential crash etc), your subconscious reaction will be to steer the vehicle towards whatever you are looking at (target fixation). So, look at where you want to go, not where your vehicle is going (or pointing).

Nope, my natural reaction has always been to to steer away!

I take it you're not the Matt_d who used to own a LHD Maritime Blue 968CS?

integrale_evo said...

Mash and saw.

This.

I have 2 hours left of A8 ownership and I've been out on the nursery run this morning introducing my kids to the Art of Yaw in the snow, mash and saw stylee.

Judging by the screams and giggles coming from the back, they approved. 8):lol:

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

If your car starts to slide on sheet ice, do not attempt to exit the vehicle while it is still moving. Oldie but goodie click.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

zedleg said...

If in doubt flat out.

this saved me a couple of times:D

Try and keep your eyes open.

Drive at painfully slow speeds to keep your license (and car if you're in France) :(

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Cadence declutching whilst power tramlining FTW.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Never lift.

The faster you're going, the harder you are to hit.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Never granny-shift in a drag race: always double de-clutch.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular