Forums > Moaning forum > Changing Banks

CHANGING BANKS
Previous | 12 | Next

I've been promising to do it for years and have finally, proudly got around to doing it. Changing over current acc, instant savings and CC.

It's a right PITA, and now I've got to change all of my different details on every website I buy stuff from.

It's just tedious really.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

I changed to Halifax, for their £100 sign up and £5 a month.

Took 10 mins of my time online.

I dont use my debit card online, so i dont need to change details anywhere. All the direct debits transfered over without fuss too.

Perfect.

(They give 3 months of *FREE* overdraft, to deal with the issue of DDs transferring over before wages.)

That sounds too easy.

I've had to supply three years of business accounts. I've also had to rearrange delivery of my cards twice as the first time they couldn't find my flat (I wasn't there anyway) and the second time they rejected my work address, but only after I'd booked the delivery.

Not only that but the inital setup took an ear-numbing 1h15m to go through on the phone.

What really grates is that I picked a time in my life where I've had the least financial responsibilites for a long time, assuming it would make things easier. No mortgage currently, not paying rent, my current account has just ONE direct debit.

--

RichardMajor86 said...

I changed to Halifax, for their £100 sign up and £5 a month.

Took 10 mins of my time online.

I dont use my debit card online, so i dont need to change details anywhere. All the direct debits transfered over without fuss too.

Perfect.

(They give 3 months of *FREE* overdraft, to deal with the issue of DDs transferring over before wages.)

There's the catch ;)

When transferred, the new bank had a DD transfer service which I availed of.

However this service involved them sending a letter to the initiating company and, like a Villain locking the hero in a room and just assuming they will be killed, they never actually checked any of them.

My credit card payment did not go and I got but for a charge (which they refunds) and experian problems they had to sort.

Always always check the DD transfer servic

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Moved to First Direct recently and it was pretty effortless plus they gave me £100.

Dinny_G said...

That is the first time I've come across that phrase being used outside of India :shock:

Cheers, Rich

--

_ said...

I only ever drink drive when I'm properly cunted.

Diesel Taxi said...

Moved to First Direct recently and it was pretty effortless plus they gave me £100.

That's who I'm moving to. They'd better be good once this is sorted.

Cleverly, they sent my cards to me with a secure courier - to my home address. But there's no-one there during the day. So I rearranged to my work address, only to be told 24 hours later that they can't deliver there. Finally rearranged to collect in branch, but it will have taken nearly a fortnight to get them.

--

Why aren't you at home during work hours? That's totally unreasonable of you.

first direct are pretty good - efficient, UK call centers, never having to wait more than 2 or 3 rings before someone answers.

but you're on a short leash and they give very very little leeway if your account is out of order.

--

JL said...

Why aren't you at home during work hours? That's totally unreasonable of you.

I wish I was at home during work hours :(.

--

Dinny_G said...

first direct are pretty good - efficient, UK call centers, never having to wait more than 2 or 3 rings before someone answers.

but you're on a short leash and they give very very little leeway if your account is out of order.

If anyone knows of a bank that gives a long leash and is preferably somewhat laissez faire about how much of their overdraft I'm living off, please let me know.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Whats an overdraft?

Like money you earn but more of it.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Dinny_G said...

If anyone knows of a bank that gives a long leash and is preferably somewhat laissez faire about how much of their overdraft I'm living off, please let me know.

They are the only bank I know who would issue a formal notification demanding I return my credit card because it was £34.50 over the £500 limit and my payment was 2 days late - caused by christmas bank holiday delays (My fault no doubt but still) This, despite being linked to my current account where my salary was being paid into and at that point had a very healthy credit balance. This was back in 2000 when the banking world was less tetchy.

They are of course entitled to to it but a simple call would have sorted the matter out. There had never been an issue with the account up to that point.

2 months previously they had offered to up the limit to £4300 which I'd declined so in their eyes, I wasn't that much of a risk. 4 months later, I was offered a gold card with a £10K balance.

--

NotoriousREV said...

Credit cards are the free overdraft and give you money back rather you paying. It's very easy.

turboferret said...

Dinny_G said...

That is the first time I've come across that phrase being used outside of India :shock:

Cheers, Rich

You know English is Dinny's second language, don't you? :lol:

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

SimonB said...

NotoriousREV said...

Credit cards are the free overdraft and give you money back rather you paying. It's very easy.

Have you ever been accused of being too literal?

--

Jobbo said...

Nope.

Can't understand folk who pay interest on borrowed money yet have savings / investments. Bit stooopid.

I've a mortgage but also have savings and pensions :(

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular