Forums > General > Chances of car tax massively increasing?

CHANCES OF CAR TAX MASSIVELY INCREASING?
Previous | 1 | Next

Anyone ever wonder if we will have a massive road tax increase here like Italy had? It would sure make you reconsider buying a performance car when it means that your road tax would increase by 300% :shock: . Was just talking about it with my dad who is holding off buying the next car till the government come up with their new plans for it, be it via road tolls or mileage based or whatever.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

it does seem inevitable in some form or another, as the tax yield from the motorist continues to drop dramatically as everyone does what the government 'wants' and gets smaller, more efficient cars

o'er here it's only based on cylinder-count. 1-4, 5-6 or 7+ are the only bands.

the upside to the consumer is that your fee is the same whether it's a hyundai excel or an exige, likewise a 540i or a veyron.

i imagine the reason it's still like this here is 'cause our government doesn't seem to care for carbon anything. i'm fairly sure they set fire to the kyoto protocol. :/

I only found out this week the top rate of car tax is £1000 a year, ulp. For years it was £55 (6 months) £100 a year.

They haven't been too bad so far, with changes only affecting cars built afterwards, so older cars keep the two fixed bands which have been increasing yearly about the same as the other bands for post 2001 co2 based tax, and a band cap on cars from 2001 to 2006.

Although of course you can't rule out some sort of stupidity.

Did all tax jump 300% in Italy? Or just high performance stuff? They've always been pretty harsh on large engines which is why they get odd versions of cars with engines that squeeze under the two litre mark like the e30 320is and various turbocharged 2.0 alfas when everyone else got v6s

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

exiges said...

I only found out this week the top rate of car tax is £1000 a year, ulp. For years it was £55 (6 months) £100 a year.

Only £1,030 for the first year, though. Drops to under half (still a rip) after that.

@ i_e: I was always intrigued by the Fezza 208 GTB/GTS since I read about them in a "Cars of the World" type book as a boy. Probably very slow, in N/A form at least, but interesting nonetheless.

You guys across the water are very lucky when it comes to road tax. I have to pay €1809 per year now to tax my 2004 996. (a 7% rise at the start of the year)

Ah yes, tax the car. Must try to avoid the mad scramble to get it done this year :)

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

Just re-taxed mine, £120 :lol:

Barry said...

Yeah, yeah, you :lol: away.

:evil:

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

its inevitable that car tax will rise drastically, I have been surprised that to date they have not raised the top band to £1000

there was an article last month showing that tax revenue will drop by billions over then next couple of years as most people are buying cars with very low VED ratings and much greater economy, i think they where saying 5-6 billion drop by 2016 over its peak as most people move over to eco cars

this is probably why the government is investing in the development of ANPR based road pricing systems, which canbe rolled out quickly with no need to retro fit GPS tracking units to cars

Updated January 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

its inevitable that car tax will rise drastically, I have been surprised that to date they have not raised the top band to £1000

there was an article last month showing that tax revenue will drop by billions over then next couple of years as most people are buying cars with very low VED ratings and much greater economy, i think they where saying 5-6 billion drop by 2016 over its peak as most people move over to eco cars

this is probably why the government is investing in the development of ANPR based road pricing systems, which canbe rolled out quickly with no need to retro fit GPS tracking units to cars

A much easier solution, which also happens to be both fair and crafty, would be to levy it all via fuel duty. You wouldn't need to up it much to drop VED altogether I'd imagine.

Swervin_Mervin said...

A much easier solution, which also happens to be both fair and crafty, would be to levy it all via fuel duty.

This. Although those pesky electric cars would get away without paying.

Updated January 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

exiges said...

Swervin_Mervin said...

A much easier solution, which also happens to be both fair and crafty, would be to levy it all via fuel duty.

which is why they wont do it as they can not tax electrickery more than it is, although I am sure Dave would enjoy the benefits of letting huge numbers of OAPs freeze to death in reduced pension payments

it has nothing to do with being fair and all about maximising tax revenue for captive "markets"

Updated January 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

lepetitoeuf said...

Barry said...

Yeah, yeah, you :lol: away.

:evil:

Doesn't quite work when its used against a derv Skoda of 2002 vintage though. The smugness is short-lived, but soon to be rectified..

exiges said...

Swervin_Mervin said...

Hmmm, very good point. Can't be having that. Ok, so either everyone pays a flat annual rate of £50 and the rest is via fuel.

Swervin_Mervin said...

Hmmm, very good point. Can't be having that. Ok, so either everyone pays a flat annual rate of £50 and the rest is via fuel.

and.. all cars arriving in this country have to buy a tax disc too. Cars: £50, Lorries: £100 (or something)

Just do it like the Swiss, either buy this vigniette or fvck off back home :lol:

I don't like how it's so heavily based off CO2 here, those millions of cars which get free road tax still damage the road surface. Just because they're kinder to the environment doesn't mean they float across the fvcking Tarmac :roll:
Probably less kind to the environment than someone who is running an e30 M3...

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular