Forums > General > 2006 1.6 Focus

2006 1.6 FOCUS
Previous | 1 | Next

My folks are looking for a Focus and have found a MK2 shape for their budget and it's the 1.6.

Does anyone know much about these or any common issues with them?

I've driven a brand new one and it was ok, 40mpg on a cruise and felt ok inside but dynamically well short of the MK1. Other than that I don't know anything about them.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

The 1.6 petrol is dead as a door nail. The 1.6 tdci 110 is the one you want.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Not even looking at diesels as the running costs in the long term don't stack up to the mileage they are doing.

There are supposedly a 100hp and 115 hp version, any idea how you tell the difference without driving?

Dave!

--

GraniteV8 said...

Not even looking at diesels as the running costs in the long term don't stack up to the mileage they are doing.

There are supposedly a 100hp and 115 hp version, any idea how you tell the difference without driving?

Dave!

You could check the emissions on the dvla tax website.

--

Strong Broo Racing

I had a Mk2 1.6 Petrol with 140,000 miles on it and it was perfectly fine.

Odd misfire was traced to leaky washer jets.

Oh and they're as economical as a 330i on the motorway ;)

What's your budget Dave?

--

Strong Broo Racing

Good idea about working out the hp 8)

I was getting 40mpg on a 60mph cruise with one but never really did normal driving in one.

So nothing of any note Nathan ? This is a 2006 1.6 LX for £2850 and has done 74,000.

Clickety

Dave!

--

They have a budget of 3k max and want a Focus due to me not having any trouble with mine in 100,000 miles, also they love the heated windscreen which I know the mk1 has but am not sure if all mk2 models have it.

Dave!

--

I had a MK1 1.6 LX and only kept it about 4 months. It was awful. Underpowered and poverty basic, swapped it for a TDCi Zetec which was a facelift and far better.

Most Mk2 have heated windscreen but I vaguely recall the screen was an option on the LX but not sure.

My 1.6 had a few problems but none related to teh engine, although I didnt do many miles in it!

GraniteV8 said...

Good idea about working out the hp 8)

I was getting 40mpg on a 60mph cruise with one but never really did normal driving in one.

So nothing of any note Nathan ? This is a 2006 1.6 LX for £2850 and has done 74,000.

Clickety

Dave!

That particular car doesn't have heated screen. There is only one button below the radio.

--

Strong Broo Racing

GraniteV8 said...

Clickety

Dave!

There's nothing particular to look out for on petrol manuals and you certainly don't need me to tell you how to look at a car!

My old man's 1.6 was a terrible engine. Lack of power I could live with but it struggled to get 40mpg on a run and 30mpg around town.

N said...

GraniteV8 said...

Clickety

Dave!

There's nothing particular to look out for on petrol manuals and you certainly don't need me to tell you how to look at a car!

Rust around the rear arches where the arch meets the bumper.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Some good stuff from honest John Here

--

Strong Broo Racing

hardboiledPhil said...

My old man's 1.6 was a terrible engine. Lack of power I could live with but it struggled to get 40mpg on a run and 30mpg around town.

The Mrs had an early 115bhp one (05) from new... similar story on mpg unlike my Mk1 which did 40 quite easily. It only really gets going at 3.5k rpm with your foot to the floor in a low gear but gets raucous at 5k... not that your olds will be too bothered I expect ;)

Worse were the niggling faults like the heated screen that only cleared the passenger side (every Ford I've ever owned with a heated screen has always had broken elements, including the 4 month old one I currently have), the boot release that would freeze in winter and randomly open, the weird engine calibration that gave an inconsistent throttle response, the non-functioning Sony CD player (replaced 3 times under warranty), the corroded wheel rims that caused slow punctures (tiny kerbing probably didn't help but even so...), blowing headlamp bulbs, crap paint... buy something Japanese!

Went to have a look at the car today and it looks like it has been in a large hailstone shower as I counted 15 dents on the car which all catch the light, so that's off the list.

We did find a 2001 1.6 LX with air con, heated front and rear screens and 74,000 miles, cambelt done last year and apart from a rust on the rear door due to a paint chip it looked in excellent condition. It's up for 1890 but considering the others we saw today it's miles ahead condition wise.

It's no fun hunting for dull cars :lol:

Dave!

--

Avoid the diesels as they have DMF issues and it's expensive when they go.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

GraniteV8 said...

Went to have a look at the car today and it looks like it has been in a large hailstone shower as I counted 15 dents on the car which all catch the light, so that's off the list.

We did find a 2001 1.6 LX with air con, heated front and rear screens and 74,000 miles, cambelt done last year and apart from a rust on the rear door due to a paint chip it looked in excellent condition. It's up for 1890 but considering the others we saw today it's miles ahead condition wise.

It's no fun hunting for dull cars :lol:

Dave!

I can do you an immaculate limited edition 54 plate A4 Avant for £3500?

--

Strong Broo Racing

We'll stick with a Focus thanks, known running costs and spacious inside without being too big.

Dave!

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular