Forums > General > What laptop?

WHAT LAPTOP?
Previous | 1 | Next

I'm selling my iMac because I hate it, I want a laptop pc instead - what's good out there, I have a max of about £700 to spend.

It just wants to be my home PC, no gaming, lots of picture/video editing and general officey type stuff. And I don't want anything clunky looking!

--

Cheers

Rich

VAIO

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

I've been thinking about buying an iMac :lol:

What don't you like about it?

All laptops are built using random components, so I've no idea what to recommend you ;)

Though I'd probably buy an Ultrabook of some sort now, if I was going to buy a new one

Updated January 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Acer, current laptop is fantastic value for money. Quick, reliable, well made and versatile as well.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

I hated pretty much everything about it. Not its fault as such, I just didn't know what the hell it was doing half the time. No idea what programmes I had running (and they removed the handy gesture on the mouse to show you), no idea where stuff was being saved, i hated the mouse, i hated the lack of "delete" button, it never told you what the error was if there was one, it would randomly grey out photos if they werent saved in the "right" way, it couldnt edit files on my external hard drive, etc, etc, etc. I'm too set in my ways to change what I know.

--

Cheers

Rich

I bought this just before Christmas;

CLICK

It's great, especially for the money - much faster & more powerful than my PC at work too!

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

If you want something for lots of high quality video editing then you pretty much need a gaming pc ;)

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Rich B said...

I hated pretty much everything about it. Not its fault as such, I just didn't know what the hell it was doing half the time. No idea what programmes I had running (and they removed the handy gesture on the mouse to show you), no idea where stuff was being saved, i hated the mouse, i hated the lack of "delete" button, it never told you what the error was if there was one, it would randomly grey out photos if they werent saved in the "right" way, it couldnt edit files on my external hard drive, etc, etc, etc. I'm too set in my ways to change what I know.

No delete button? That sounds a bit sh*t!

I would strongly advise against a Vaio.

They used to be really good, I used to have one several years ago, but everything I've heard from people with Vaios for the past few years has been very negative.

I've got an Acer and it's been great, I've also bought several more Acers for family members and none of them has had any problems either.

As an aside, I firmly believe that 13" is about the perfect size for a laptop. Not many have internal cd drives though, if that's an issue, a USB cd drive is £20 (it's what I use to rip CDs etc)

PugRallye2 said...

I would strongly advise against a Vaio.

There's 3 of them in my household currently, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4th. The oldest I bought in 2007 and has been smacked about in a big back and forth to London for 3 years without any issue at all. Just put Win8 on it and it runs like new again.

What have you heard?

--

Tim

I have two Vaios, the newer one an SE 15" bought a year ago. Still looks new despite using it all day every day. The screen is excellent (IPS, 1920x1080), only beaten by the Mac retina displays but they're twice the price. It's surprisingly light for the size (lighter than a 2011 13" Macbook Pro) and the battery lasts a decent length of time (about 4 hours in normal use, hasn't deteriorated noticeably in a year).

The SE is definitely my recommendation; they're available below £700 new from time to time with Sony's ever changing offers.

Also Rich, if you're interested in a VAIO go into the Sony Centre on Tottenham Court Rd and haggle. I bought two of mine there, well under list price.

--

Tim

Good tip Tim, I had a go on one yesterday (t series) I like the touchscreen - I was sceptical about how useful it would be, but it does work like a mouse.

Another option is a Lenovo yoga, I'm not fussed about the whole tablet option, but a good mate works for them so might be able to get me a cheap one.

--

Cheers

Rich

Lenovo stuff tends to be of fairly good quality.

Cheers

Steve

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular