Forums > General > What performance spec interests you?

WHAT PERFORMANCE SPEC INTERESTS YOU?
Previous | 1234 | Next

Lots on here getting all snooty about 0-60 times not mattering, but to me, they are the only figure you get to see the benefit of and can easily test in every day legal driving. I can't do 0-100, 1/4 mile or top speed, maybe 40-70 but I don't want to drive a Saab turbo.

I enjoy a good thrash from a toll booth, where 0-60 time matters - what performance spec do you look for in a car and what do you think about the traditional 0-60 measurement?

--

Cheers

Rich

Richard I actually agree with you.

Dont let internet kids wind you up :lol:

I look for good mpg, safety features and headlights I can never turn off because I'm too stupid to remember to turn them on if it gets a bit dark.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I'm never going to win a bloody watch am I... ;)

--

Cheers

Rich

integrale_evo said...

I look for good mpg, safety features and headlights I can never turn off because I'm too stupid to remember to turn them on if it gets a bit dark.

Im with you. Im old too, and a bit remidiellz

Any male that doesn't race off from a tollbooth is a screaming pansy.

I wouldn't trust them. Like men who carry dogs or wear flip flops. Weird.

:shock:

--

I like it round the 'ring.

60-100mph, of course ;)

TBH, I'm less bothered about outright performance. Handling floats my boat more.

--

Speed holes.

0-100.

Not 'cos i do it all the time, but 'cos i think it is a much better indicator of potential perfomance.

I'm likely to look beyond that figure however.

I think its even more relevant now that we have SMG/DSG boxes and clever electronics, superb tyres etc, as the average Joe actually stands a chance of getting near those figures for real! :lol:

That said, I do think in gear times are important as they show how strong a car is in everyday situations, the TED test etc.

You'll laugh but my old shonky Skoda is dreadful off the line, lag (boost threshold if you prefer) and short revs/gearing make first nothing more than a chore, second is over in no time, and its third gear before it gives anything like usable shove. That said, in fourth or top gear it gives usable boost at modern traffic speeds (40->80) so I can stick with faster cars without having to bother the awful gearbox.. :P
Its actually quite effective at 40-60/70 overtakes as I can just let one gear do all the work but I've got usable shove throughout.. I really should get the GoPro attached and give you all a good laugh come to think of it..

That and lateral-G of course.

YEEEE HAAAAARGGGH! :)

mik said...

0-100.

Not 'cos i do it all the time, but 'cos i think it is a much better indicator of potential perfomance.

why? Because 0-60 may be flattered/hindered by gear changes or what?

--

Cheers

Rich

0-70 it should be here. Its the legal limit and as rich said you can do it from the toll barrier.

--

For sure

I'm lucky enough (or not if you knew what it's cost me) to have a car that not much on the road will beat in most areas. In terms of what I look for, I would honestly say 'sheer grunt'.

The main reason for this is I'm a bit lazy and also worry my driving skills are not as good as others. Therefore I can hide behind the obscene grunt from the twin turbo flat six and stay in touch with the better driver in the M3....

--

I like it round the 'ring.

I still think bhp/ton is a reasonable indicator of how a car will feel and perform. 200bhp/ton seems to be about where things start to feel quick.

Oh, and rwd and a proper mechanical lsd ;)

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Rich B said...

mik said...

0-100.

why? Because 0-60 may be flattered/hindered by gear changes or what?

It favours 4wd, and RWD over FWD, is dependant on tyres / traction control, and if carA only runs to 58mph in 2nd it will appear significantly slower than carB with the same power that has a 2nd gear that runs to 62mph.

Much of that is true for 0-100 (mine runs to only 98 in 3rd for example.... Allegedly), but less so - hence i find it more useful.

Updated January 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM

integrale_evo said...

I still think bhp/ton is a reasonable indicator of how a car will feel and perform. 200bhp/ton seems to be about where things start to feel quick.

Oh, and rwd and a proper mechanical lsd ;)

HIC actually

60/70 is where it's at on the road of course, but for track its 60 upwards that counts.

Mostly I prefer to have a car with more power than grip, but acceleration is quite amusing.

I hope my car does 100 in ten seconds when its finished, I'll be happy with that.

Updated January 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

--

Done.

10 real seconds Dan, or drag racer speak? (Ie anything upto 10.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 seconds ?)

Under ten, 9 point something....legend has it normally aspirated honda Elise's achieve that....we'll see.

--

Done.

Marv said...

60-100mph, of course ;)

TBH, I'm less bothered about outright performance. Handling floats my boat more.

This.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular