Forums > Moaning forum > Cars without automatic headlights

CARS WITHOUT AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS
Previous | 12 | Next

Been driving a Vectra for a week while the V70s away for a spot of suspension work. Nice car, but after being used to having the headlights always on when i get in the Volvo, i constantly forget to switch them on when i get in the Vectra after dark and drive merrily along till cars on the other side of the road flash madly at me.

I'm wondering why it hasn't been made mandatory that cars headlights should always be on or they should automatically switch on as soon as it gets sufficiently dark. It would increase the visibility of other road users and mean that muppets like myself wouldn't get caught out. Or am i missing something? :?

Are there any other car manufacturers that implement this feature, or is it just Volvo?

--

Cockwallet

I agree Ali but IIRC, many here don't.

I think it's probably related to Sweeden and winter darkness.

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Is the Volvo system automatic or just on all the time? When my father had a S40 years ago, they could not be switched off IIRC.

Mine are auto on or via idrive you can select on all the time - either way if your car has been cleaned / to the garage / messed with by your mrs you never remember to put them on as they should come on on their own

The V70s lights literally are on all the time. The light switch only has the the following positions: Headlights on, Sidelights only, and Zero, which doesn't turn anything off.

You'd think it would cause bulb longevity issues, but i've never had any problems with bulbs blowing all the time.

--

Cockwallet

Ali. said...

You'd think it would cause bulb longevity issues, but i've never had any problems with bulbs blowing all the time.

Funny that. My father's car began to have bulb issues in the latter years of ownership.

I'm not a fan of permanent DRLs but there should be a light sensor that automatically turns them on perhaps, as the amount of cars I witness each and every journey lately with no lights on is staggering. And then there's the ones with a light out, just side lights, just foglights, or combinations therein. Beggars belief.
:roll:

Barry said...

I'm not a fan of permanent DRLs but there should be a light sensor that automatically turns them on perhaps, as the amount of cars I witness each and every journey lately with no lights on is staggering. And then there's the ones with a light out, just side lights, just foglights, or combinations therein. Beggars belief.
:roll:

My preferred solution to this would be that the DRLs being on does not light up the dash. I'm sure more people would notice their lights not being on if the dials weren't lit. VAG are the original culprit for having lit dials without the lights being on.:evil:

I suspect the lit dash without lights on is the main culprit for forgetting to switch lights on.

The only car I ever forgot to put lights on was my Signum which had the auto lit dash. Never had it on a VAG car though??

My old V40 had a similar system in that they came on even with the lights at 0 but high beam would not stay on unless you had it set to main beam.

But auto lights s setiing off down the road of no return where drivers can't be trusted to do anything and therefore we will have auto breaking, auto wipers, auto lights, blind spot monitoring.... Oh!:shock::(

Volvo's always have their lights on since it can be dark for 3 months of the year in some parts if Sweden so better to always have them on.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Daddydadbo said...

But auto lights s setting off down the road of no return where drivers can't be trusted to do anything and therefore we will have auto breaking, auto wipers, auto lights, blind spot monitoring.... Oh!:shock::(

I agree in that its a slippery slope where drivers become less and less involved in the driving, and their attention drops because of it, but I think we're already too far down that path now, so measures need putting in to maintain the safety of others. :?

Anyone who can't remember to switch their lights on in conditions where they're needed needs their licence, and oxygen, revoking.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

NotoriousREV said...

Anyone who can't remember to switch their lights on in conditions where they're needed needs their licence, and oxygen, revoking.

Totally agree, and rant about self same issue most mornings when I get to work.

Sadly, unless you or I make President of the UK in the next few months, I can't see it becoming statue anytime soon :evil:

Mito Man said...

Volvo's always have their lights on since it can be dark for 3 months of the year in some parts if Sweden so better to always have them on.

No they don't. They have them on (as does all other cars in Sweden) because it is the law.

Even in daylight having your lights on increases visibility and I don't understand why it only made it into law last year here. When it was introduced in Denmark there was a brief period where aftermarket relays could be fitted cheaply to make the lights come on automatically.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

I leave mine on all the time. I needed to replace them after 3 years.

Luckily in my car they turn on/off with the car.

How can you drive around when its dark and not notice? Surely the big give away is that you struggle to see the dash?

RichardMajor86 said...

I leave mine on all the time. I needed to replace them after 3 years.

Luckily in my car they turn on/off with the car.

How can you drive around when its dark and not notice? Surely the big give away is that you struggle to see the dash?

I live in an area with streetlights, so its not blindingly obvious straight away that they're not on. Its not like i drive for miles with them off, I usually remember within 300 yards or less.

Actually, since i started this thread i haven't forgotten them once. I am cured. 8)

--

Cockwallet

No idea why people like to drive around desperate to make themselves invisible all the time. Auto headlights should be mandatory and rear fog lights should be banned.

--

Cheers,
Mike

caneswell said...

No idea why people like to drive around desperate to make themselves invisible all the time. Auto headlights should be mandatory and rear fog lights should be banned.

What's the problem with rear fog lights?

The only thing I dislike is people that use it when there isn't any fog, but the same goes for front fog lights.

Updated January 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

kad said...

caneswell said...

The only thing I dislike is people that use it when there isn't any fog, but the same goes for front fog lights.

If I'm successfully following and have been for the last few minutes, I know you are there, I don't need an additional blinding light shining in my face.

If you happen to be stopped at the back of a queue on a foggy motorway they might have some use, if you aren't on the brakes....other than that they have no purpose.

--

Cheers,
Mike

caneswell said...

kad said...

caneswell said...

If I'm successfully following and have been for the last few minutes, I know you are there, I don't need an additional blinding light shining in my face.

If you happen to be stopped at the back of a queue on a foggy motorway they might have some use, if you aren't on the brakes....other than that they have no purpose.

They don't even fit rear fogs to cars in the US. Good job as I agree they are utterly pointless 99% of the time, some twunt always puts them on in a bit of light drizzle and causes more of a hazard by half blinding you.

I am guilty of driving off in a well lit area without noticing when someone has switched my lights from auto to off :oops:. When I was a boy dashboards used to display dipped lights as well as main beam so it was rather more obvious. And of course auto headlights didn't exist either.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular