Forums > General > In-car DAB

IN-CAR DAB
Previous | 1 | Next

Has anyone fitted a DAB head unit into a car? After two and a half years I'm finally getting round to fitting the Williams with a stereo, and there's a handful of cheap DAB enabled ones in the Halfords sale.

Everyone I've spoke to re. fitting adds an extra, magnetic aerial, but ideally I'd like to avoid this... any knowledge or tips greatly appreciated!

In straya, any decent unit comes with a little sticker aerial that goes on the inside of your windscreen. We have nothing even approaching the broadcast density I experienced in london though, so it could be you need a little more o'er thar.

I fitted one in a van I had about 5 years ago. Was a good quality one, pioneer maybe from memory. Took the time to position the arial exactly as the instructions described.

The result? RUBBISH

It was basically like listening to a skipping CD almost all of the time. If you were in London or other major city but crucially, with no tall buildings, it was just about tolerable, but eventually I just got fed up and used it as a CD player instead.

I'm sure technology has moved on since then, especially since you can spec DAB in plenty of new cars these days, but I'd seriously recommend testing them out before you buy

It looks like alpine have dropped their ai-net dab tuner box which is annoying as i like my existing headunit and setup.

Have been considering an alpine ezi-dab, but it has it's own control panel and display and I don't know where I'd fit it without it looking odd.

Tempted to try one of the cheaper dab headunits in one of the other cars, but have absolutely no idea what the reception is like around here.

Weren't digital signals pretty poor to start with as they had to run at low power to stop them messing up analogue tv signals? (I'm sure I read that somewhere ) so now analogue tv is dead the signal strength should have improved.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

revsrus said...

I fitted one in a van I had about 5 years ago. Was a good quality one, pioneer maybe from memory. Took the time to position the arial exactly as the instructions described.

The result? RUBBISH

It was basically like listening to a skipping CD almost all of the time. If you were in London or other major city but crucially, with no tall buildings, it was just about tolerable, but eventually I just got fed up and used it as a CD player instead.

I'm sure technology has moved on since then, especially since you can spec DAB in plenty of new cars these days, but I'd seriously recommend testing them out before you buy

I have a DAB head unit, that thankfully also does normal FM, and I agree, DAB is crap! Unlike normal radio that may crackle a bit if the signal gets bad, DAB just cuts off. Can't be arsed with it, ill stick to FM and when they stop that ill use CDs.

--

Nuclear Engineer, but hoping to pass my exams and be legally called a Door Supervisor.

In our cars DAB only works in London up to the some parts of the M25. Otherwise it's rubbish.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular