Forums > Geeks corner > Home phone / sky question

HOME PHONE / SKY QUESTION
Previous | 12 | Next

Morning all,

Looking to get SKY Multiroom (I know, giving Murdoch more of my money...) but have no phone line in the bedroom. (No idea why it's the only room in the house that doesn't, okay, save kitchen and bathroom).

Looked at getting these to send the phone line to the box. Most reviews seem to say it'll be ok but just thought I'd see if anyone had any actual experience. Plus I already use the mains to transmit the broadband so will this cause the two signals to balls each other up??

I know I can pay SKY £25 to not have a phone line but we might want to watch a box office movie or summat so thought I'd investigate this first.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

Cheers

--

The thrill of two litre diesels???

When I had mine installed when he fitted the extra LNB and sat cables he also fitted a telephone line extension cable from the main telephone point in my house to the bedroom. I'd ask Sky first before spending any dosh.

Our sky box isn't connected with a phone line since it would make the room ugly having a cable going across the living room. You don't need a phone line.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Our sky box isn't connected with a phone line since it would make the room ugly having a cable going across the living room. You don't need a phone line.

Where is the main box then if the multi-room box is in the living room ?

Multi-room box needs to be connected to the registered house phone line otherwise for 10 quid a month your mate could mirror your Sky package 200 miles away.

Updated January 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Boy is talking sh1te again

As mick says it (all boxes) needs to be plugged into your phone line so they know its in your house and not a neighbours when in contract. If you are out of contract then you will be paying through the nose.

Saying this why bother with mulitroom as you have 3 wireless devices for free as part of your package.

Get a decent wifi to your tv in that room for free ;)

Updated January 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Ours isn't connected to a phone line and never has been. Bloke who installed the dish couldn't care less. I just didn't want to fork out for pay-per-view on top of the £70 a month :)

I cancelled my multiroom a couple of years ago and now just make use of the powered coxial output with a sky eye fitted to the TV in our bedroom.

The SkyGo facility is great as I use it on my Ipad and Iphone but as far as I'm aware you cannot get all channels.

Evostick said...

Ours isn't connected to a phone line and never has been. Bloke who installed the dish couldn't care less. I just didn't want to fork out for pay-per-view on top of the £70 a month :)

My HD box isn't connected to the telephone line either but then like you I don't have multiroom or use the pay per view stuff. It's only when you have multiroom it has to be connected to the phoneline.

Updated January 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM

In the six years we've been in our house neither of the boxes have ever been connected to to a phone line, except for the day each was installed when I dug out an old extension lead so that the guy could do the setup. Disconnected ever since.

--

It's not a Golf

SimonB said...

Boy is talking sh1te again

As mick says it (all boxes) needs to be plugged into your phone line so they know its in your house and not a neighbours when in contract. If you are out of contract then you will be paying through the nose.

Saying this why bother with mulitroom as you have 3 wireless devices for free as part of your package.

Get a decent wifi to your tv in that room for free ;)

This isn't 1980 you know, people haven't plugged sky boxes into phone lines for at least a decade...

--

Fock me as someone who a) has a house b) pays the bills for sky I can inform you of the following.

In 2011 I had sky installed inc multiroom as it was a better deal than virgin.

They came an installed the multiroom box and line - took the guy 4 hours. A month later they wrote saying if we didnt plug back in the multiroom box to the phone line we would have to pay lots more money as the deal would be void.

I did various instructions over the next few months to sort this and they started billing me full price - until they sent out an engineer to fix the problem.

This actually happened - if you read the part about being in contract in my last post you will understand.

We currently pay 22 pounds a month for full package in hd inc movies and sports. Guess Im talking sh1te tho :roll:

Yep. I'm watching a sky box and the only cables it has are HDMI and the power input.

--

SimonB said...

We currently pay 22 pounds a month for full package in hd inc movies and sports. Guess Im talking sh1te tho :roll:

That standard price? Seems low?

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Sigh.

Course you are troll

andybond said...

SimonB said...

No, no its not.

75 percent off

SimonB said...

andybond said...

SimonB said...

No, no its not.

75 percent off

I didn't think so!

How did you get such a reduction?

--

Cancelled.

Went on holiday.

Came home and waited until they rang up while on a sunday I was missing bsb.

Actual hook to get me back was;

12 months inc hd all channels @ 22 a month
50 credit on my account.

Ive also paid 12 months phone in advance so the phone line is 9,95 a month and we have u/l broadband for 7,50 too

I'll ring and cancel mine !

--

I've been thinking about cancelling mine as well, I'll give this a try I think.

--

Done.

Be warned.

All your recorded progs you cant access any longer.
You cant pause tv
+ you cant record owt and lose loads of channels

If you can live with this for 3 weeks do it.

I will be honest, if we hadnt been away for some of the time it would have driven me mental.

Still - prob saved us 550 quid this year.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular