Forums > General > Play.com

PLAY.COM
Previous | 1 | Next

Yup.. well, as we knew it

Online retailer Play.com is to shut down its retail business and become solely a marketplace for other retailers from March.
The Jersey based company blamed the end of the Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) loophole which allowed items under £15 to be sold to the UK VAT free from the Channel Islands.
The move means it will no longer sell items directly to customers, instead it will allow other firms to sell goods via its marketplace which it launched in October last year.

Might as well get my order in whilst I can then.

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Their switch to a marketplace format is exactly why I stopped using them.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

Sundayjumper said...

I stopped using them years ago when deliveries started taking ages.

That's a real shame. They always seemed cheaper than Amazon for me. I assumed they were continuing to do really well. Obviously not.

amazons always been my favourite for some reason play.com always seemed to cost a lot more :?

Barry said...

Sundayjumper said...

I stopped using them years ago when deliveries started taking ages.

This. Especially on pre-orders.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Remember I ordered Red Dead from Play when it was first released as it came with additional DLC (that's downloadable Content Barry ;) )

Not only did it not arrive upon release date but the email that was supposed to come through with the DLC code never happened :roll:

Updated January 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

--

Cheers,
James

[quote="exiges"
The Jersey based company blamed the end of the Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) loophole which allowed items under £15 to be sold to the UK VAT free from the Channel Islands.

[/quote]

I wonder if this loophole is why all the Christmas parcels that the missus family in Aus sent got dome over for import duty? Marked up as gifts but we had to pay:evil:

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

I find Amazon are not cheap these days.
I have a wodge of vouchers I'm not using because they would be lost in the markup :(

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular