Forums > General > E46 330CI

SEARCH BLOGS
Previous | 123456 | Next

As I won't be visiting my once girlfriend 130 miles away anymore, my next car probably doesn't have to be that economical. And I'm moving in a couple of months nearer to work so I'll walk, this will save me about 10,000 miles a year and a shit load of petrol.

I've always liked the 330CI, and I like the thought of that engine and RWD. I think a couple of members on here that have owned them before? If so, what are they like to own? and what the running costs like?

CTR still high on the list, but I was recently following a thread on boatshoes where a guy was going from a 182 to a 330 and quite a few said the 330 was the better car. Despite the fact they're quite different cars.

And they seem to be quite good value now too.

I'm a big fan of that car.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I tested 4-5 before going for the M3. Nice cars but IMO ruined by crap throttle response. Put me off completely. Some were worse than others though, and the rest if the car is lovely.

My ctr was great though, did everything well and was just as fast as a 330i.

--

Cheers

Rich

good cars, but i don't think theyre really special enough for occasional use. the beauty of them is that theyre smooth and comfortable for everyday commuting but will put a grin on your face on an open road.

much as it pains me to say it, something a bit more highly strung, like a civic type r makes a bit more sense when you don't have to put up with the limited powerband and constant need to thrash to make decent progress for day to day boring driving.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Alex, get an Integra and wind Steveo up. :lol:

--

Kintegra y0!

integrale_evo said...

good cars, but i don't think theyre really special enough for occasional use. the beauty of them is that theyre smooth and comfortable for everyday commuting but will put a grin on your face on an open road.

Harry's got it exactly right here - they're an excellent, relatively refined cruiser (and not that bad for economy on the motorway) with a playful side if you goad them.

Dare I say it, they might be a little bit fuddy duddy for you if you fancy a CTR? I bought my CTR aged 29 and was probably on the cusp of being the right age for a 330i then. In terms of old-mannish behaviour, not other people's perception.

I did 20k+ a year in my ctr, it wasn't a hardship at all, they'll cruise without issue or discomfort, you just need to stir the box a little more than a tdi spam chariot.

--

Cheers

Rich

Why not get an Elise instead if you're walking to work? ;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

What Harry said too. I use my Brother's a fair bit & it just doesn't involve you much. Looks & sounds great & the speedo says it's nipping along, but it's too smooth for its own good to be called sporty & as such doesn't feel fast.

Great great car, but not exciting!

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

duncs500 said...

Why not get an Elise instead if you're walking to work? ;)

I wish! I'm 24 in May so insurance has become less of a problem, but still a bit of a pain. So anything Elise, M3 etc is usually out of the question :(

Have owned two e46 330's - one was a 330i M saloon with manual 'box, the other a convertible auto, great cars but I would avoid the auto, it results in terrible mpg in local driving and it's pretty poor by modern standards! Go for a 6 speed facelift model if you can, but be aware of the vanos problems (plenty of info about this online)
I also owned a CTR, didn't rate it as an everyday car, but can see its appeal as weekend car, but would still go for the 330, an awesome all rounder!

--

Farrukh

twitter:
@FA599

Gwaredd said...

What Harry said too. I use my Brother's a fair bit & it just doesn't involve you much. Looks & sounds great & the speedo says it's nipping along, but it's too smooth for its own good to be called sporty & as such doesn't feel fast.

Great great car, but not exciting!

I did suspect what Harry and you have said. There's one that visits my neighbour often and it always sounds and looks great. But I think I'd greatly miss the agility of the Puma, something that the Civic shouldn't have a problem with.

I think a test drive of the 2 is on order, but there's too many plus points in the Civic's favour.

Rich B said...

I tested 4-5 before going for the M3. Nice cars but IMO ruined by crap throttle response. Put me off completely. Some were worse than others though, and the rest if the car is lovely.

Did the 3'er have a Sport button like the Z4 to get over that? Better throttle response and weights up the steering?

Go for the E46. It has a more acceptable number of cylinders and is RWD so the forum will love you. The engine is a work of art IMO, in whatever car it's in (E46, E39, Z4). Sounds nice too.

--

This ^

How about an S2000? Far more special than a 330i.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Gwaredd said...

How about an S2000? Far more special than a 330i.

I've toyed with the idea of one, but I've never been too keen on convertibles. And insuring one is just as bad as an M3!

I loved my 330CI Msport auto which was the face-lift version. Would have suggested that you went to Uxbridge and bought my old one as it was so reliable but looking at the dealer's website they have already sold it.

No major problems with mine in 18,000 miles/ 1 year of ownership. Averaged 23-30 MPG - exactly the same as the 5.5 litre V8 Merc that has now replaced the BMW.

Watch out for rust on the wheel arches and uneven tyre wear. Otherwise they prove pretty bombproof.

B_T_S

--

There's no replacement for displacement

Alex88 said...

And insuring one is just as bad as an M3!

You need to speak to Alex regarding insura... Oh.

You need to start shagging an underwriter ;)

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Gwaredd said...

Alex88 said...

And insuring one is just as bad as an M3!

You need to speak to Alex regarding insura... Oh.

You need to start shagging an underwriter ;)

I think you're right! Bloody insurance, right PITA.

You got email probs Alex, was after the cost to swap the ML over to a new M5 but the email bounced :?

--

A yellow loltus

Foz said...

You got email probs Alex, was after the cost to swap the ML over to a new M5 but the email bounced :?

PM me Foz, looks like my emails are still fvcked.

Previous | 123456 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular