Forums > General > Astra vs A3. Clash of the Titans!

ASTRA VS A3. CLASH OF THE TITANS!
Previous | 12 | Next

Yes, the review you have all been waiting for!

Looks:
Both are 5 doors. Astra is a clear winner. Audi looks so dull it is almost invisible. In fact I think I spotted our cat walking into it and looking surprised that there was something there.
Astra wins

Interior:
On first impression Astra wins with more body hugging seats. But after 30 mins you discover that there is no lumbar support at all. Audi is better for that, but has little lateral support and the seats are generally not nice.
Astra is much roomier. A3 feels like a class down.
Astra wins

Performance:
1.4 turbo petrol in Astra, 1.6 diesel in A3. A3 is a lots lighterbut has less power. It's a diesel so gives zero reward for more revs. Pretty nasty. Astra actually sounds more like a diesel when you start up but has much nicer power delivery.
Frankly though, both would struggle to match an MG ZR Atomix! Astra wins

Equipment:
Audi has more. Satnav and two SD card slots for the stereo. A3 wins

Ride:
Astra's is terrible. A3 is ok. A3 wins

Refinement:
Astra has alot of wind noise. A3 wins.

Astra 3-3 A3

Conclusion:
Getting rubbish temporary hirecars can be annoying.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark BT52 said...

Equipment:

You sure one of thise isn't to use Nav AND play CD's at the same time ???

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Dinny_G said...

Mark BT52 said...

Equipment:

No.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

My current temporary crap hire car is an Astra GTC. I hate it. The ride is terrible, the seat has too much lambar support for me, makes my back ache, the interior layout is terrible, the visibility is dangerous and the electronic handbrake is just awful to use. I'd take practically any A3 over it.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Ah yes, I forgot about the awful visibility out of the Astra.
The A-pillar arrangement is just horrible at roundabouts.

--

Mark BT52 said...

Dinny_G said...

Mark BT52 said...

Equipment:

No.

So you've used Sat Nav and Played a CD at the same time ? Improvement over the A5 we had

--

Dinny_G said...

Mark BT52 said...

Dinny_G said...

Mark BT52 said...

Equipment:

No.

So you've used Sat Nav and Played a CD at the same time ? Improvement over the A5 we had

No, I mean I'm not sure. :D

--

A5 had a single CD clot that held the Nav disc. You could copy the Nav data to an SD card but until you did, you couldn't use NAv and CD together.

For the life of me, I can't understand why a 40K car would come like this when an 8GB card is a few pounds. (ref: mick's thread)

--

Dinny_G said...

A5 had a single CD clot that held the Nav disc. You could copy the Nav data to an SD card but until you did, you couldn't use NAv and CD together.

For the life of me, I can't understand why a 40K car would come like this when an 8GB card is a few pounds. (ref: mick's thread)

Ours has a single CD slot for the nav and a cd changer in the glovebox.
I was wondering why it had two SD slots.

Updated January 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM

--

So Vauxhall still haven't managed to perfect a seat that doesn't cripple the driver after 30mins? I've always felt that the 2 things that would ever preclude me from owning a Vauxhall are the shocking seats and the utterly turd ride/handling.

The other thing that really annoys me is that the steering column isn't central between the speedo and rev counter/instrument binnacle, it's about half an inch to the left. Irritating beyond belief for some reason.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

The other thing that really annoys me is that the steering column isn't central between the speedo and rev counter/instrument binnacle, it's about half an inch to the left. Irritating beyond belief for some reason.

Why the hell would they do that? :?

NotoriousREV said...

I have come to the conclusion that you have the eyes of a lizard if you find the visibility in an Astra bad but are willing to buy a Giuletta :lol:

We really need to meet so I can check if you are an alien or not :shock:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Have you sat in a GTC, Dave!? The rear windows are relatively high on the body and tiny and the mirrors too small. The body shape means its hard to place the car in corners and thick A-pillars could hide an aircraft carrier.

The Guilietta is like driving a greenhouse in comparison.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Have you sat in a GTC, Dave!? The rear windows are relatively high on the body and tiny and the mirrors too small. The body shape means its hard to place the car in corners and thick A-pillars could hide an aircraft carrier.

The Guilietta is like driving a greenhouse in comparison.

Only the 5 door to be honest, I didn't get on well with the previous shape 3 door mind you.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Has Vauxhall removed those annoying indicators?

Swervin_Mervin said...

So Vauxhall still haven't managed to perfect a seat that doesn't cripple the driver after 30mins? I've always felt that the 2 things that would ever preclude me from owning a Vauxhall are the shocking seats and the utterly turd ride/handling.

My sister complained of this in a recent company Insignia and Vectra years before that. They've had plenty of time to sort it so why can't they?

Insignia did look nice inside though - maybe the test drives are kept to 10 mins so nobody notices the poor seats?

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Has Vauxhall removed those annoying indicators?

Yes but they cancel too easily. On a roundabout I go around every day, I indicate right and it cancels as I enter it. No other car I've ever driven does this.

--

Jobbo said...

At least the Astra's seat had a bit of angle to the seat though.
The A3's is too short and almost flat.

Most annoying thing with the Astra interior for me was the stupid huge low res LCD display screen. No satnav, so just huge block red text telling you which radio station you were listening to, much too bright and with no ability to be turned off.

Just remembered, the Astra's steering felt really odd too. The most lifeless I have ever experienced.

Updated January 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

--

Yeah! And the fact that despite being so huge, the display always cuts the band name off the RDS data.

"Now playing Awesome Song You've Never Heard Before by..."

And the fact that the big knob on the stereo is the tuning knob and not volume, which is the smaller one above. Intuitive, it is not.

Updated January 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

--

Jobbo said...

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular