Forums > General > Cost savings gone too far........?

COST SAVINGS GONE TOO FAR........?
Previous | 12 | Next

Been ragging around in a VW UP this morning and noticed some pinging sounds when driving.

No rear wheelarch liner :shock: even looks poorly finished you can see the body wax marks and even the paint drain grommets.

Definitely a cost saving too far for me, big improvement in NVH, visual appearance and overall perception of quality for a small piece cost. I'm surpised the bean counters got that through the sign-off procedure as couldn't be for engineering reasons.

Back to the days of British Leyland when the base Metro came with one Sun Visor:lol:

Lots of cars only have one grab handle too, drivers one isn't needed though I suppose.

Does that not mean it will fall apart in a year or so?

--

Bunta's Tofu

_Mick_N said...

Lots of cars only have one grab handle too, drivers one isn't needed though I suppose.

The alfa has no grab handles ( probably cos the seats anchor you in nicely?) this did not manifest itself as a problem until i gave a lift to my aunt who is disabled and relies on grabhandles to pull herself from her chair into the car.

I notice that some manufacturers are using recycled textile sound deadening material, for their wheel arch liners now. Surely it wouldn't cost much to use that?

Vac form them like most people do, but then there is fixings required etc and the labour to do it.

Really stood out on the White car, just looked unfinished and cheap.

All down to the numbers game really, save £1 on every car and you are looking at millions of pounds savings.

Didn't Renault used to fit two rear fog lights complete with fittings but only supply one bulb to go in the appropriate side for each country?

For reference, my 968 doesn't have plastic wheel arch liners at the back!

lots of old cars don't, this is 2013 and I expected better from VW, especially as it has front ones.

i havent ever owned a car that's had rear arch liners :lol:

the bmws have plastic spats between the rear bumper and the metalwork, but nothing like a full liner.

as for the visual aspect, you're not going to see it after 2 weeks when the inside of the arch is covered in shite, and i'd personally rather see nice clean body colour painted stonechip than a lump of black plastic anyway :?

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Other cars do without, but they finish the body off differently, I'll have to get picture as it looks like the aftermath of Clare from steps raiding the buffet.

Oh and no passenger window switch on the drivers side

Updated January 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

_Mick_N said...

Usually this means both are in the middle - where are they on the Up?

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

VW have the perfect chance to re-create the 106 Rallye with the UP.

What are the odds?

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

i think the up is the first new car i've liked the look of straight away for a very long time.

only in white though, the red and black ones i've seen look a bit odd.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Jobbo said...

_Mick_N said...

Usually this means both are in the middle - where are they on the Up?

On the door casing like you would expect it's just one switch though, also they are not illuminated :shock:

A Gti version is meant to be out this year apparently. It's a great little package. Yesterday we had Steve sat in the front who is 6ft 4 and Vijay sat behind who is even taller.

You can see where they have saved money though, hence the entry price.

When they introduced the Up in Denmark there was some debate about the liners being options - but looking now I can't see it happened.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

I'd probably go for an up if my Mito started falling apart but then again, my friend who has a Smart recently got a letter saying that London are considering making cars pay the congestion charge even if they have less than 99 grams of co2 so I'm ooot.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular