Forums > General > Litchfield bespoke GTR engines

LITCHFIELD BESPOKE GTR ENGINES
Previous | 12 | Next

Story clicky

Over 1000 bhp is on the way...8)

The Red Top sounds like it will be insane.

"Based around a significantly strengthened engine block which features new extra-thick Nikisil liners and larger diameter pistons produced exclusively by Capricorn, this engine will usurp the abilities and power handling capability of even the ‘Sport’ package, humbling even the most mighty of seven-figure exotics and taking the GT-R into truly unassailable territory. This engine configuration is going through a number of displacement tests between 4.0 and 4.6 litres and will be available early 2013."

How reliable are Litchfield mods? I must say I like the idea of a custom GTR, Scooby or 1M.

Updated January 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

--

Bunta's Tofu

I wonder why sort of £s this wood be?

Yu will be along shortly to tell us.

RichardMajor86 said...

wood be?

Brilliant....

I don't ever remember hearing of any issues at all with the Type20/25 Scoobies.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Talking about bespoke GTR engines, I was watching this last night and it sounds amazing 8) Also sounds a bit of a handful.

AMS Alpha 12 Clicky

I don't know who wrote the article but they need to spend some time understanding the difference between "insure" and "ensure".

--

Maybe they can't ensure it, so they insure it?

Litchfield mods, in my experience are hugely reliable. Iain does a huge amount of background testing before bringing any of his mods to market; at the end of the day, it's his name and reputation at stake. I personally wouldn't use anyone else.

ksumner37 said...

Litchfield mods, in my experience are hugely reliable. Iain does a huge amount of background testing before bringing any of his mods to market; at the end of the day, it's his name and reputation at stake. I personally wouldn't use anyone else.

Thanks Iain

RichardMajor86 said...

ksumner37 said...

Thanks Iain

:lol: He's way too busy (and sensible) to be posting on here. On the way to Autosport to set up his stand.

I have no idea how much his Red Top engine is going to be. I would be happy with a 900hp Sport engine eventually, but only when funds allow.

In the meantime, Stealth Zilla has been treated to an interim upgrade, details to follow in issue 180 of evo...

Updated January 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I really hate this "stage _" upgrade system that has swept the aftermarket. Certainly it's not litchfield's fault, but it's completely ridiculous. It sounds like everyone is trying to play gran turismo in real life. Why have weird names for stages at all? Why can't it just be the "900 HP package". Marketing bollocks.

Also, they can build a 1000 HP GTR engine with OEM levels of refinement and reliability? Who are they kidding?

I can confirm that the most dramatic way to get a perceived performance upgrade is green and costs £1000.

It has easily caused the GTR's power output to double.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Loganmotor said...

Also, they can build a 1000 HP GTR engine with OEM levels of refinement and reliability? Who are they kidding?

Switzer have been doing it for years in the US. I have absolutely no idea why, but it turns out the R35 platform can support well over 1000hp without complaint, albeit with judicious upgrading of parts.

The biggest trick is getting the gearbox to be as smooth as OEM whilst handling 1000lb.ft+, but again, Switzer's Ultimate Street Edition appears to do just that.

Updated January 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Oh good - mention of bloody WASTEGATE FLUTTER.

Can everyone please LEARN HOW A TURBO ACTUALLY WORKS.

:evil::evil:

Litchfield High performance 5w-40 engine oil

8)

Thank God for that, I'll sleep better at night knowing that.

JL said...

Oh good - mention of bloody WASTEGATE FLUTTER.

Can everyone please LEARN HOW A TURBO ACTUALLY WORKS.

:evil::evil:

I'll insure I get right on that. There may be some lag.

--

David_Yu said...

Loganmotor said...

Switzer have been doing it for years in the US. I have absolutely no idea why, but it turns out the R35 platform can support well over 1000hp without complaint, albeit with judicious upgrading of parts.

The biggest trick is getting the gearbox to be as smooth as OEM whilst handling 1000lb.ft+, but again, Switzer's Ultimate Street Edition appears to do just that.

While I don't doubt that they can build a unit that will hold up under relatively aggressive street driving and the occasional track jaunt, that in no way constitutes OEM levels of refinement and durability. I'd like to see that setup pass a 48 hour WOT cycle test, or hot lapping a racetrack in 115 degree heat with the AC on. From what I have seen, GT-R's already can go into "limp mode" in factory trim when driven in hot conditions.

That doesn't even get into the long term thermodynamic aspects of the engine, to handle the extra heat load in the combustion chambers and the surrounding areas you'd have to completely redesign the cooling passages in the head and block, and likely use a different alloy to prevent annealing of the aluminum from heavy heat cycling.

There is a reason it was so difficult to build the Veyron. 1000 HP is relatively easy, 1000 HP with "OEM levels of refinement and durability" is an altogether more difficult proposition.

Not saying litchfield aren't talented, they sure seem to be, but that specific power output results in localized heating and pressure that the factory cooling and lubrication system simply wasn't designed for. There is a reason that production engines haven't made 260 HP/L yet.

Loganmotor said...

There is a reason it was so difficult to build the Veyron. 1000 HP is relatively easy, 1000 HP with "OEM levels of refinement and durability" is an altogether more difficult proposition.

This.

It'll just be the 1990's all over again when the 'Skylines can handle 1000bhp on stock internals' bullshit was all the rage.

After many wasted components & millions of £££'s, in a few years everyone will nod & agree that around 600bhp was the safe & best limit.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

RichardMajor86 said...

ksumner37 said...

Thanks Iain

You're welcome :)

Why do people get so worked up? They're a retailer trying to sell their wares, of course they're going to say its ace and of course its not going to behave the same as a 500hp engine when its got 1000hp but I bet its pretty impressive all the same.

--

Done.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular