Forums > General > Are you a badge snob?

ARE YOU A BADGE SNOB?
Previous | 123 | Next

After reading on another thread I thought I'd ask. If a car was far better than the competition would you go for something worse just because of the badge it wears?

No.

It depends on the situation. I'd get a BMW over a Lexus no matter how good they were, but I wouldn't have a problem driving a Skoda VRS over it's Volkswagen equivalent. Can't explain why either . Just wouldn't have a Lexus :lol:.

Updated January 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Yes. I don't normally like to admit it but there are just certain brands I can't get over. Skoda, for example. No reason to not buy one but I just don't think I could bring myself to actually buy one. No offence to anyone who has one.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

mik said...

No.

Is that whay you've still got the Vauxhall badges on your 'R8 mik? :lol:

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

mik said...

No.

Says the man who swapped his Vauxhall badges for HSV badges at the earliest opportunity...

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

That is merely "badging correction" .

NEXT!

There are brands that I don't 'like' - Sony for example, and Vauxhall - not sure if that counts as snobbery?

Given a choice of a well-specced Vauxhall or a low-specced BMW; I would choose the BMW.

I think we all have some in-built 'preference' to certain brands?

No.

Yes.

I would never own a Daewoo or SSangyong, no matter how good their cars are.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Not particularly, but manufacturers seem to target different markets and nobody but Audi, BMW and Mercedes offer full-size V8 estates. Well, the alternatives aren't offputting as a result of their badges so much as being crap (300C etc).

To an extent. I wouldn't buy a bad car just because of the badge. But if a Mercedes and a Chrysler were equally good and equally appealing on all other fronts, I would pay more for the Mercedes than a Chrysler.

I'm much more of a geographic origin snob. I like Italian cars, German cars and British cars as a general rule. French cars only appeal pre-WW2 and on the sporadic occasions since then when they get it right (2CV, DS, R4, 205) and I've never really lusted after anything Spanish or Swedish (unless I can't pronounce its name). There are no current modern American or Asian cars that I would prefer over a decent European equivalent. American cars tend to be too glitzy and, well, cruddy. Whereas there's something about the design aesthetic of most Asian cars that just doesn't really grab me, and their engineering tends not to appeal much either. I can see that it is often excellent but equally most of the time it just seems a bit too worthy and slightly lacking in real flair or charisma.

--

Exploring the dark side in a brace of Bavaria's finest.

http://www.auto-journals.com/journals/BMW?model=Z1&journal=188

No, it's nice to have something with a badge that has a reputation for producing good cars, but at the end of the day the car itself is far more important to me.

That is probably why my last two performance cars have been an R26 and Exige rather than a Golf GTI and a Cayman.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

That is probably why my last two performance cars have been an R26 and Exige rather than a Golf GTI and a Cayman.

Lotus and Renault aren't exactly unknown to people who like a sporty car though :lol:.

--

zedleg said...

duncs500 said...

Lotus and Renault aren't exactly unknown to people who like a sporty car though :lol:.

True, but unfortunately Kia simply don't make an Exige equivalent.:(

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

You could stick some Proton badges on it.

--

zedleg said...

You could stick some Proton badges on it.

:lol:

:D

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

What I don't get is something I read on a Porker forum a while ago. Some guy on there said "I could never consider a GTR, no matter how good it is, because it's a Nissan" and of course they all agreed.

But it's simply a badge, because that specific model could not be further from the rest of the range if it tried. And we all know how good it is and what it can do.

I read a similar statement recently, and it just seems a shame that so many great cars are often forgotten about over something apparently so small.

I don't care about the badge, but I am partial to certain cars. I mean, I generally dislike toyota but I'd have a GT86. On the other hand, if one day a camry was as good or better to drive than a BMW 3 series I still wouldn't buy it. It's why mustangs (despite most of them being crap from the factory) hold an appeal.

It may sound weird, but the only brand I have any built in prejudices about is Ferrari....which is weird because I love a lot of their cars but there is something missing on the cool scale for me. I'd have a 288 GTO, though :lol:

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular