Forums > General > Recent road observations round the north

RECENT ROAD OBSERVATIONS ROUND THE NORTH
Previous | 1 | Next

I realise I'm opening myself up to a ribbing but oh well.

First off I was looking at buying a road angel but I went off that idea. I can't see much point anymore as I get stuck in a queue of traffic behind a dawdler on every journey. If I do manage to go fast enough and there is a policeman waiting with a gun then I might as well take the points as it is now a very rare occurrence that I can get much above 40mph, let alone the NSL.

Secondly the state of the roads have gone from bad to worse. We haven't had more than a week below freezing and we haven't had any snow but there are so many large pot holes around that pushing on results in a real risk of bending a wheel. It's not like the pot holes are small ones either, they're some of the biggest I've seen and generally mid corner or full of water so you don't spot them until the last minute.

Thirdly the road surfaces are so broken up I can't remember the last time I used full throttle without spinning a wheel. I have tried perfecting the mashing and sawing but even in a straight line it's getting a bit laborious. Even the A roads are suffering. Going sideways might be fun but it's going to get expensive playing in Tarmac craters.

Fourthly the volume of traffic has some how increased yet again and with it the number of plebs has risen too. Usually they make a lot of effort to get out the junction and cut infront of you to then go slowly down the road, drifting over the white line and bumbling about in the cabin.

Oh and I can't even remember the last time I saw plod on the road.

Agreed. I'm getting more tempted by the idea of SUV type vehicles for most of those reasons.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Older cars with proper sized tyres for the win :D

Everyday car needs to be a big comfy cruiser so you can distance yourself from the roads and people as much as possibly but still be able to overtake when necessary.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Roads in Lancs are in a shocking state, my mate has dinged two of his 550i wheels recently and claims he wasn't even going quick. Needless to say he's talking to the Council about compensation as they're stupid money to replace.

Driving standards haven't improved at all since the weather turned and the nights drew in, I am seeing a concerning number of cars with lights out, no lights on, foglights lit with no main lights.. it amazes me that our accident figures are so low :shock:

One thing I noticed when I was up north recently ( after being exiled to the south 20 odd years ago :lol: ) is that gone are the days when people would let others out of junctions, or exhibit general road etiquette. Seems the north has finally caught up with the south - it's another rat race where no one has time for anyone but themselves.

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

Potholes are as prevalent as ever because of all the water. So many roads have been subject to such heavy and sustained downpours, or even standing water, that it's probably undermined the sub-surface construction.

I'd agree with what Dave says tbh. Big and comfy for everyday as I certainly don't get the oppoirtunity to get any real pace going on virtually any journeys these days.

Updated January 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

@Barry - you are only meant to have front fogs on with side lights! :) But I know what you mean about incorrect fogs, annoys everyone.

I live in the Southern end of the North and people do sometimes let others out. I do unless it is seriously inconveniencing me, having said that if you flash someone and ease off and they are not paying attention and then you end up stopping then they end up dawdling at 45 on a 60........ :evil:

I hit a few pot hole doozies on the way to Berwick at the weekend, fortunately n the CRV which has proper tyres. I think in the Saab I might have damaged the wheel or had a puncture.

They can just start using proper Tarmac on the roads here which doesn't crumble to sh1t at the first sight of frost. In Sweden the roads get so old that they have to be resurfaced because the edges where the tyres of the cars are makes a massive recess to the point where it's like driving a slot car :lol:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

They can just start using proper Tarmac on the roads here which doesn't crumble to sh1t at the first sight of frost. In Sweden the roads get so old that they have to be resurfaced because the edges where the tyres of the cars are makes a massive recess to the point where it's like driving a slot car :lol:

Silly boy, the Government got a good deal on shiny non grip road surface material which saves money in the very short term but also means we crash when it rains so the Government can then claim unsafe road and put up "safety" cameras. :shock:

The government don't have anything to do with roads other than the Trunk Road network - which these days is mainly motorways and the odd major A-road.

caneswell said...

Agreed. I'm getting more tempted by the idea of SUV type vehicles for most of those reasons.

Thank God for that. I thought it was just me thinking like that.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I don't drive in town but I've noticed some pretty poor srufaces on the walk to work in the morning. Two or three inch deep, six inch long trenches. I swear that a Smart nearly took off after crashing through one of them.

All this rain seems to have been playing havoc with all the cheap patch up jobs Edinburgh council have done.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I was over taken on a back road earlier on! Amazed me somewhat. It was an X reg diesel Focus that over took me and had to bail out passing the car infront of me due to the oncoming car they didn't spot. At this point the road became blind so the focus moved out and went for it again :shock:

I think it must have been a young person driving with little experience. Just hope he doesn't crash it and take someone out in the process. He also didn't spot the number of pot holes in the road so god mode was definitely enabled :lol:

Re state of the roads; If its not knackered wheels its knackered suspension and bushes which can be more costly to replace. It really does take the biscuit that the councils are just adding the cheap top layer to the roads and then patching them up when they do go. Ideally Gov. Would give them more money to do a proper job but in the meantime I might just opt for larger side wall tyres to help take the edge off.

Updated January 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular