Forums > General > £1k - £1.5k evo hatches

£1K - £1.5K EVO HATCHES
Previous | 1234 | Next

Taking my youngest brother car shopping this weekend in the hope to buy his second car.

He's 21 and after a tidy, fun, 3-door hatch with evo credentials - max budget of £1,500 and insurance group 15. On the list so far is: Citroen Saxo VTR or VTS, Ford Puma 1.7 (although he hates the looks), Fiesta Zetec-S, Peugeot 206 GTi 140, and... that's it.

What are we missing chaps?

He desperately wanted a 106 GTi but finding one under £2,000 has proven impossible. Shame. Also, Clio 172s are still hovering around the £2k mark for a good 'un.

Anyone got any ownership experiences of the Saxo VTR or VTS, as there are a constant stream of clean, tidy unmolested VTRs on the market for around a grand. The VTS 16-valves not so much. We haven't found a standard one at all!

Also, thoughts on 206 GTi? I recall the write-ups back in the day being woeful.

Cheers

Owned both VTR and VTS and hardly anything in it performance wise. Better to get the VTR as iirc it's group 7 against group 14 for the VTS.

Bloody loved them both. Still think they're more fun than the 172 I still own

Puma or the zetec-s fiesta. Also worth considering the Suzuki Ignis Sport

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read, there seems to be that magic Peugeot DNA from the 205 GTI and AX GT carried over into the Saxos 8)

Civic Type R's, the breadvan version, are surprisingly cheap to insure with Admiral, go through a comparison site, you should end up with a sub £800 quote. Appears to be some weird quirk in the system which may allow him to spend more on the car and less on the insurance.

Updated January 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I'll vouch for the puma....
Mine has been great fun, safe but wonderful to get moving around in the corners. And despite driving it quickly everywhere, it has not cost me a thing really... Tyres, wiper blades and basic servicing...
Gotta be worth considering....

TobyTR said...

Also, thoughts on 206 GTi? I recall the write-ups back in the day being woeful.

Cheers

I've got one. It's a bit shonky.

NicDale said...

Civic Type R's, the breadvan version, are surprisingly cheap to insure with Admiral, go through a comparison site, you should end up with a sub £800 quote. Appears to be some weird quirk in the system which may allow him to spend more on the car and less on the insurance.

Really? I don't have my trade policy anymore and it's £1250 to insure me on a diesel Focus. I'm 26 FFS

fiesta zetec do look like good cars. come cheap from when i looked. and plus its a ford so its engines solid. what about a pug 106 rallye? basically got all of these out of the evo which had an article about evo cars for beginners.

Primera GT?

--

Hungry Hungry Hippos at the Ritz champion 2012.

The 106 Rallye is certifiably unicorn poo compared to even a GTi unfortunately...

Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf. The most fun fwd car ive ever driven, neutral to oversteer is a rare characteristic in a wrong wheel driver :lol:

Almera GTI, if you can find one...

Civic vti, I'd be willing to part with mine for the right price. 1.6 DOHC engine with 160bhp and insurance group 15, only cost me £762 when I was 20, it was around £600 when I was 21. Plus, being a Civic it doesn't attract the wrong sort of attention that a Saxo/106 does.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

TobyTR said...

The 106 Rallye is certifiably unicorn poo compared to even a GTi unfortunately...

whatever man your choice but imo the puma is a fagmobile so for the sake of his dignity dont buy it.

Cameron_Hill said...

TobyTR said...

whatever man your choice but imo the puma is a fagmobile so for the sake of his dignity dont buy it.

By 'unicorn poo' I meant rare, not sh!t :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, definitely opened up the market :)

Cameron_Hill said...

TobyTR said...

Fer cough, no bend!

damo.666 said...

Cameron_Hill said...

TobyTR said...

Fer cough, no bend!

literally didnt get any of that

TobyTR said...

Cameron_Hill said...

TobyTR said...

By 'unicorn poo' I meant rare, not sh!t :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, definitely opened up the market :)

unicorn poo isnt something i have encountered in my dialect :lol:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/peugeot-106-rallye-s2/1003752108

Cameron_Hill said...

damo.666 said...

Cameron_Hill said...

TobyTR said...

Fer cough, no bend!

literally didnt get any of that

Read it out loud :lol:

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular