Forums > General > So, these E39s...

SO, THESE E39S...
Previous | 12 | Next

I'm keeping an eye out on behalf of a mate that's looking to get one. He's actually a proper car nut and so anything I know or can pass on will actually be taken onboard.

I guess first off would be which one? He's decided on a 530i and, whilst I'm not looking to persuade him into anything else, if there are good reasons to consider other models instead then that would be helpful to know.

No diesels though - he's served his time now with those!

That one model probably polarises experience of ownership more than anything else on the forum :lol:

Tell him to get his budget together and burn it in a big fire, the end result will be the same as buying a 530

Didn't someone have a corker - Jimmy? :lol:

Ah.........M5s :)

--

BMW Car Magazine

[ internetz]
540i M Sport all day long......
[ /internetz]

Updated January 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Diesel Taxi said...

And my dad, still got the piece of shite.

My Dad took the kids out at the weekend & all 3 car seats fitted into his Focus ST fine, so I badgered my wife all the way to Wales about getting an E39 M5 at last.

On the way back, we popped into Ikea (yes!) to pick up a new 2 metre long T.V. unit, moved one middle seat to the rear & slid it straight in. Handy.

"Couldn't do that in an M5 could you?" came the smugness.

When we got back, Dad moaned that the kids couldn't reach the seatbelt buckles as the car seats were touching, so he had to do them up first, then the kids had to limbo, slide & contort under them & into their seats.

I'm never getting an M5 am I? :(

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

My Alpina B10 3.3 is based on a 530i. I've only had it (working) for a few months but it seems to be decent so far.

It is high mileage and suffered head gasket failure which is common and expensive to fix (Alpina specific reasons), also the gearbox is not as smooth as it should be which I think is another known problem. Fuel consumption is poor but it goes and handles well which kind of makes up for it.

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Bryn_P said...

My Alpina B10 3.3 is based on a 530i. I've only had it (working) for a few months but it seems to be decent so far.

It is high mileage and suffered head gasket failure which is common and expensive to fix (Alpina specific reasons), also the gearbox is not as smooth as it should be which I think is another known problem. Fuel consumption is poor but it goes and handles well which kind of makes up for it.

Cheers,
Bryn.

I'm not really sure if you like it from this post :roll:

Glowing reviews then? :lol:

I always thought the E39 was considered the last great 5, and the 3L lumps have long been popular.:?

carlos said...

Bryn_P said...

Cheers,
Bryn.

I'm not really sure if you like it from this post :roll:

Neither am I :?

It's a brilliant car but not really what I want at the moment, and it's in that grey area of not fast enough or frugal enough :roll:

It's not evo but I'd rather have an RR TDV8 to complement the Clio Trophy as the perfect daily driver combination 8)

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Swervin_Mervin said...

Glowing reviews then? :lol:

I always thought the E39 was considered the last great 5, and the 3L lumps have long been popular.:?

the 3 litre lump is best suited to three series'. the e39 needs a v8 :D

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Also needs about 400bhp, and preferably an auto, which is pretty much a B10S:)

--

A yellow loltus

A mate of mine Pravin had a Alpina B10 3.3, seemed to get to 60 mph ok but up to a ton my Cooper S was faster, and that was hardly a rocket ship.

I researched carefully and decided the 530i Sport was the best balance of cost, looks and performance. It was all the car I wanted.

It's just a shame it would randomly cut out whilst driving.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

540i sport.

enough poke in a big car to make it fun and those engines are much better than the rest of the 3 litre blocks.

i wouldnt consider a 3 litre for a 5 series.

--

Hmmmmm BO! BO! Chick.............. Chick a chickaaahhh!

Once in a lifetime opportunity? :?
Assume intergalactic mileage for a star wars BMW... :lol:

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

I did 40k in my E39 530IA and in terms of all round goodness it was hands-down the best car I have owned. Comfy, practical, looked the shiz on the 18" M Parallel's, a good enough turn of speed when you needed it. I loved it. If it hadn't done 170k I would have kept it. I'm still thinking I should have kept it...

Long runs would see 30 mpg / 450 miles to a tank, the steering feel was excellent due to the inline 6 (the V8 cars use a different system that I found to be a little remote), and mine had an excellent array of toys too.

The engine is a real peach - sounds fantastic, is sewing machine smooth, and they are generally bomb-proof. The gearbox was pretty good too, but I hear these can be a weak point. A recon box is £800 fitted.

Mine had factory nav with the latest firmware and maps (perspective view and 7 digit postcode search), bluetooth that worked brilliantly with my iPhone, and I bought an iPod kit that let me control the music in the boot from the dash, including track names and stuff like that.

The boot was huge, the room inside just what you need, and the front and rear sensors meant there was a good chance of getting it back sans injuries when my wife used it.

I'd be lying if I said it was a cheap car to keep tip-top. M sport parts are expensive, tyres are too, but normal bits and bobs are cheap and easy to fit. I replaced the shocks and original bushes on mine at 150K, so they lasted well all things considered.

If I see another that is in as good a nick as the one I let go and I can well see my self getting one again.

--

El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Zonda_ said...

Diesel Taxi said...

And my dad, still got the piece of shite.

And me, a 2003 530i Sport Touring, bought late 2009. I ditched it after three months as it was just riddled with problems. It still bugs me though, because apart from all the problems it was a great car. Fast enough for day to day use, refined, spacious, comfy, drove nicely, reasonable economy, and good looking too IMO. I still slightly hanker for one. I came >< this close to buying another one a year later but on the day I went to collect it it wouldn't start and I decided it was just going to be more pain so I walked away.

OTOH, my Dad had a 540 Touring for years and it was brilliant, very reliable, he only changed because some dozy bint drove into the side of it and wrote it off :(

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular