Forums > General > New car musings...

NEW CAR MUSINGS...
Previous | 1234 | Next

Looking to change my Cooper D (chosen for it's congestion charge exempt-ness and cheap lease and now finding a home with a new employee) and have been pondering what I should get.

My options are to get another car on a lease which is sometimes the most cost effetive option for a new car, but will tie me in for 2 to 3 years which may not suit with a house move on the cards, or to buy a car outright and then have the option to sell it on without issue should the need or wish arise.

I'll be doing roughly 10k miles per annum - one office is only 1.5 miles from home so when it's sunny I may cycle unless I'm then heading off into London when I'll be driving in (or getting the train if travelling light). Have 3 kids and regularly need to transport a mountain bike, but the wife will be getting an X5/Q7/D4 shortly so I could always use that and leave her with my car assuming she can get 3 kids and a buggy in it easily enough.

Current shortlist is as follows, but open to alternative suggestions.

M135i on a 3 year lease - have test-driven one twice now and whilst it is mightily quick, pretty good on fuel and can be well specced, it just doesn't float my boat and I think I'm too much of a tart for it's gopping looks.

E90 M3 Saloon - 2-3 years old, 30k mile EDC/DCT. Always wanted one, love the way it looks and goes but suspect high teens MPG may get tiresome. £30k ish and likely to lose quite a chunk over next 12-24 months when new one is released. Sold in low numbers so that may well help it hold some value?

E92 M3 coupe on a 2 year lease - good value for a new car, but only 4 seats/2 doors

B7 RS4 Avant - 6/7 years old, higher miles and older than M3 for similar money, but suspect it may hold its value better in the short term?

New shape S4 Avant - £30k gets a mega specced, low mile one from a main dealer but fear it may not be very exciting and will lose a chunk of cash still?

E46 CSL - Again, always wanted one but they seem to be quite mileage sensitive so could probably only keep it for a year as a daily driver. Maybe very highly strung and totally unsuitable for my needs but the noise and lack of depreciation may be worth it?

There was a few attractive lease deals on F10 M5s (sub £600 per month) but over 41 payments that's still a LOT of cash for a car I don't really yearn for. I think I could probably learn to love it though!

Anything else I should consider that is relatively depreciation proof at up to £30k used?

Nice position to be in I know, but doesn't make the decision any easier!

--

Don't play with a girl's heart, it's easily broken and she only has one. Play with her boobs instead, they're bouncy and she has two of those.

Screw depreciation and just get whatever floats your boat.

So the Focus RS is off the table? I would go for some type of M3 if I were you. The CSL is probably the one to go for but I wouldn't say no to a V8.

Why didn't you continue your other thread??

After another watch??

--

Nuts on the road

focus69 said...

So the Focus RS is off the table? I would go for some type of M3 if I were you. The CSL is probably the one to go for but I wouldn't say no to a V8.

Why didn't you continue your other thread??

After another watch??

The tart in me would prevent the purchase of a Ford I'm afraid to say, regardless of how good it was!

Not after another watch - I just clicked start new thread instead (don't really think this a watch type topic anyway!).

--

Don't play with a girl's heart, it's easily broken and she only has one. Play with her boobs instead, they're bouncy and she has two of those.

Ok then, screw my previous post.

Get a CSL or RS4 then ;).

--

Nuts on the road

My money would go on an e90 M3 saloon, B7 RS4, or a VXR8 of course 8)

Have we gone back in time?

--

Cheers

Rich

Am liking the idea of THIS a lot..

--

This mit turbo. Or 997.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

This mit turbo. Or 997.

I had no idea a 996 could have roof bars...

Hmmm, possibly another to add to the list (can you get roof bars for a 997?!)

--

Ok, you have a shite decision now Chris.

--

Nuts on the road

I think so. Only official Porsche ones though.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

It seems that you can fit a standard E46 rear seat in the CSL making it a 5 seater (lap belt but will be OK with a forward facing child seat for occasional use) so they are creeping higher up my list..

--

Audio_Chris said...

(can you get roof bars for a 997?!)

What are 993TTs worth nowadays? That must be pretty depreciation-proof?

edit - holy christ how much are they going for!! 50k+!

Updated January 7, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Audio_Chris said...

It seems that you can fit a standard E46 rear seat in the CSL making it a 5 seater (lap belt but will be OK with a forward facing child seat for occasional use) so they are creeping higher up my list..

how would you get to them though, csl has fixed back front seats...

Didn't you buy a black e90 m3 the other day?

--

Cheers

Rich

The CSL would be frustrating IMO, can't enjoy it on the road and its not set up for comfort plus you'll be worried about the mileage. As a fun car it makes sense because you'll enjoy it to the full but I'd find it a drag to use as a commuter.

Go for a 911, it's within budget and different.

C63 AMG!

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Rich B said...

Audio_Chris said...

how would you get to them though, csl has fixed back front seats...

Didn't you buy a black e90 m3 the other day?

They do have a limited tilt mechanism so would be ok for occasional use I think.

I looked at that black E90 but decided I wanted a later DCT car.

--

I've been looking at S4s; I'm not sure they'll be enough fun if you're considering a CSL, or fast enough if you're looking at an M3, but I'm really taken with them. Like you I've spotted the £30k-ish 2011/2012 cars with 10k miles on them from a main dealer but they tend not to have the bits which make an S4 interesting, most particularly the sports seats. The standard alloys are awfully dull too.

Even if you didn't mind that, from reading the forums the demand is only for the ones with high (and correct) spec so they won't hold their value so well.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular