Forums > General > New Year Fitness

NEW YEAR FITNESS
Previous | 12345 | Next

Hi all,

I've decided to get active as i've been particularly sedentary the past few months with work etc. Yesterday i decided to hit the tread mill and did 2 miles. This morning i did 4.5 miles

I really enjoyed it. I want to do it more. Can anyone give advice to an absolute beginner regarding what you need, what to eat etc?

Cheers

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

I am starting this as from tomorrow as well, healthy eating and back to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Although I need to be fit for my job I have done nothing over the last three months of 2012 and I am starting to realise it :(

Diet wise I will be having

Breakfast - porridge

Lunch - jacket potatoe with cicken/tuna

Dinner - chicken/tuna/steak with green vegetables

I will probably take a protein supplement with my breakfast and before bed too , I will also have fruit and nuts to snack if i get hungry between meals.

Training wise it will be mostly cardio but a little bit of weight training. I am lucky enough to work with a semi professional boxer who I can train with which helps me out alot :D

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Does decent gear such as shoes help? I've been running in a knackered of old pair of astro Nike total 90s.

They werent too bad just on the treadmill, but i think if i'm going to do it more often i'd like some shoes with a bit more padding.

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Yeah if your going to be doing it a lot I would invest in some decent shoes. A good running shop will be able to help you get the correct shoes for your running style.

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Good trainers are essential for avoiding injury - trainers have a useable life of x00 miles.
Recent thread here

OP, is it just running you want to be doing?

Updated January 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

I've been making a half hearted attempt for the last year and have had suprisingly good results with reducing the belly which was my main aim. Mountain biking has been my exercise and as there are plenty of hills around here you get a good workout. I've also virtually stopped drinking lager and haven't missed it at all although I do now have a bit of a Jack Daniel's habit :oops:

I've gone down a trouser waist size from 32" to 30" and the belly has just about gone. Another bonus is that I really enjoy it out on the bike and can tell my fitness levels have improved to a good degree.

MarDoubleT said...

Good trainers are essential for avoiding injury - trainers have a useable life of x00 miles.
Recent thread here

OP, is it just running you want to be doing?

Yeah martin it is.

--

I was out with the dogs this morning at the same time I always go out, and it was obvious that a lot of people have made resolutions to go jogging and/or take their dog out more.

There's normally absolutely nobody around at 7am on a Sunday (this is not hugely surprising) but today I met three other dog walkers and about half a dozen joggers.

It'll be back to normal in a month or so.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

If you're just running on a treadmill I doubt you really need expensive trainers?

Try running in just socks maybe as that's supposed to promote a gentler style of running with less stress on the joints I think.

Also, rowing machines are a really good workout too - but you have to maintain proper form - chin up, back upright, don't lean back, full extension, elbows in tight to the body as you bring your arms back etc.

A thing I always do is try and keep the rope/chain as straight as possible through the whole movement (no wobbling about), and also keep it under tension the whole time.

I always pick one metric (in my case it's calories/hour) and I try and keep above 1000/hour for the whole rowing session - it's easy to drop off speed/effort unless you keep an eye on it.

keep up the exercise man its admirable to see people who stick to it even though its f'ing solid. my exercise used to involve kickboxing twice a week and then sprinting and weight training in between. apart from football I do nothing now but I'm blessed with a great metabolism. good luck!

Keep it up! Good on you for making a change and enjoying it. Try and make running fun and it will be something to look forward to - not to dread.

Diet-wise, well - depends on what you are eating now; but I wouldn't say the diet of a runner should be any different to that of a tennis player, footballer - or anyone who is trying to take care of themselves... lots of fresh food, avoid anything processed - keep hydrated and avoid too much booze. But hey - have a blast once in a while; live your life.

For footwear - everyone is different but don't get caught up in the hype. Buy yourself some new shoes (you deserve it:-) ) - they will make you feel like you have made a new start and have the right tools for the job.

Only other thing I would say is make sure you get enough rest. At least one day between runs - don't go at it like a bull in a china shop, get an injury and then give up. Nice and easy - build slowly and you will get quicker and run further each time you go.

Make it so!

Completely agree with Stevie. On treadmills shoes might not be so crucial, but a bit of a treat will guilt you into going at least ;)

Also, get outside if at all possible - so much nicer running with a varying scenery. IMO of course.

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

I need to go shopping tomorrow so i'll pop into a footlocker or something. I'm also intending to do a little more every day. My short term goal is to do 5 miles in about 45 minutes which is a nice easy pace

Once i'm a bit fitter and have some idea about technique i will head out and about in the Pennines.

--

After still not fixing my general inflexibility i'll be going in a different direction training wise this year. Also doing weights means I have excuses to not lose weight which I wont have with the new type :oops:

Bulgarian Bag

Kettlebells

Power Ropes

Deadlift bar, scaffold pole and my old Land Rover wheels will get me to about 120 kilos, more wheels for added weight :lol:

All with THIS in the background so I stop being a pu55y ;)

Need to get down to 16 stone from 18, I was 15 stone when I was really happy weight wise but after a few years, 16 stone should be just about right I think.

Also, month on month off work means I can finally get back to a routine, the first time in 7 years :D

For those training, measure yourself too, don't just rely on the scales.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I dropped from 13 stone 3 to 12 stone 1 in 7 weeks by doing high intensity interval training and low carb diet last year.

A good trainer will sort you out. I was doing 8 second fast sprints on the treadmill with 12 seconds off. More effective for weight loss and you don't spend too long plodding along doing a steady run.

Kettle bells are great for these workouts.

Training with a scaffold bar and land rover wheels has to be the most hardcore idea I ever heard! That's how MEN train! :-)

Today I start my new regime, I haven't exercised since early December and I've piled on the pounds.

I've got a Polar bluetooth heart rate monitor which talks to Wahoo Fitness (Free) on my iPhone. It tells me at regular intervals what my heartrate is, tells me to slow down if it's too high and speed up if too low. I try to keep it on the aerobic/anaerobic border.

Bought some proper shoes for once over Christmas too.

Updated January 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I've decided I'm going to step up my climbing efforts this year. Been stuck at a bit of a plateau (and even slipped back a bit) since my previous partner left for Oz back in August, and going down to the centre for an hour or two once a week just isn't enough.

I'm back into a (semi) regular routine now, and I feel like I'm making (albeit slow) progress again, but I'm going to try and get a bouldering session in at least once or twice a week as well my weekly top-roping session to try and push forward a bit more.

We've got loads of great outdoor sports climbs in Scotland, but other than a handful of venues, the grades really start at the 6b/6c/7a level, go I'm aiming to step up to at least a regular 6b+/6c level, so I can get out more over the summer.

Updated January 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

nefarious_ said...

I've decided I'm going to step up my climbing efforts this year.

I assume Alien Rock is fairly local for you, or do you head out to Ratho? Climbed a couple of times at Alien Rock and enjoyed it a few years back, decent height climbs for quite a small venue.

I haven't swum since Thailand on 2nd December, and with 4 triathlons entered so far this year, including my first full IM, I really need to pull my socks up :oops:

Cheers, Rich

--

The "penetration leap from the wardrobe" is always a favourite with the ladiez

Will be getting back into it this year, no more booze in Jan for me :shock:

Previous | 12345 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular