Forums > General > Rent/keep

RENT/KEEP
Previous | 12 | Next

My little sister, who currently lives in Belgium, has had her job transferred to Manchester from March so is going to come and live with us. What's a fair price to charge her for keep etc?

--

Out of step with the forum.

as its your sister. Nowt.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

andybond said...

Bollocks - She pays for your booze and takeaway on a Friday night.

Other than that, though - I concur.

I'd pay my sister to stay away.

If she is an MEP about £4k a week :lol:

It depends on many things. I don't agree with the above. Why should she pay nowt??? She'll be living in his house, using his amenities for free :?. If she's old enough to have a job, she can pay her own way.

Also, it depends on how long she will be living with you. Just have a talk with her and come to an arrangement.

--

Nuts on the road

I would suggest putting a proposed date when she'll get her own place, once she's found her feet etc. I put up my sis for around 3 months when she came back from NYC, it was fine, but I was glad when she left. They get in the way after a while.

Mind you, we only had a small three bed, I'm sure Rev Towers is considerably larger.:)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

andybond said...

She's not destitute and food ain't free.

--

Beany said...

andybond said...

I was living with a mate for a while (only at weekends though) and that was the going rate. Plus a couple of bottles of wine for his good lady.

How long is she likely to be staying for?

--

This ^

duncs500 said...

I would suggest putting a proposed date when she'll get her own place, once she's found her feet etc. I put up my sis for around 3 months when she came back from NYC, it was fine, but I was glad when she left. They get in the way after a while.

Mind you, we only had a small three bed, I'm sure Rev Towers is considerably larger.:)

Well, putting my sister up isn't an issue in itself (there's room in the north wing) but my mum (who lives in Tenerife) wants to come and stay 1 week a month. That's more of a houseful than I can cope with.

On the plus side, she's going to buy the Ka off us.

--

240PP said...

Beany said...

andybond said...

I was living with a mate for a while (only at weekends though) and that was the going rate. Plus a couple of bottles of wine for his good lady.

How long is she likely to be staying for?

Given her wages, probably forever. Unless my mum subsidises her getting a place of her own.

--

After a period of grace of about a month we charge my cousin £60 a week rent. You will notice your electric bills etc go up. It costs £300 a month to rent a room in this area so I thought it was a fair deal.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Oh come on you lot FFS.

Rev mate -

1: Is she?

2: Does she?

--

Bunta's Tofu

Bunta said...

Oh come on you lot FFS.

Rev mate -

1: Is she?

2: Does she?

1. I'll kill you

2. Not in my house, she doesn't.

--

£300/month plus share of bills. Or whatever is the market rate. Don't give her an incentive to stay too long :D

Look on gumtree or whatever as a lodger in your area, to find what the market rate would be.

Assuming I wanted to charge, I would probably settle for a fairly small round number to cover the extra food and hot water, plus a little on top - maybe £50-£100 a week?

Whatever you agree, make sure your sister sets up a stnading order to pay you - there's nothing like chasing payments / trying to remember them to sour a relationship.

350 a month inc all bills and food is a damn good deal. But the truth is, 'whatever the women decide'

John said...

I'd pay my sister to stay away.

Depends on the sister. My eldest I haven't seen in about 15 years (having not known she existed for the first 15 years of my life), my next eldest is alright, we're the closest in age and grew up together, my younger one is a pain in the arse and I can only take her in small doses, but this one is the youngest girl and I'm very protective of her even though she's 24 and a grown up now. I have a very complex family.

--

Are you going to be the subject of a TV documentary on your relations like Jimmy?

Jobbo said...

Are you going to be the subject of a TV documentary on your relations like Jimmy?

Spill Jobson.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular