Forums > General > Winter tyres-why?!!

WINTER TYRES-WHY?!!
Previous | 12 | Next

I cant help thinking that 20 years ago we never needed winter tyres, because our cars were shod with sensible sized wheels and tyres and that this winter tyres craze is just another bloody motoring rip off! I was reading an old car mag article yesterday where they took the Audi Quattro and Lancia Delta Integrale to Italy in the snow, on normal everyday tyres, in the good ol days of 195/55/15 rubber...
I somehow doubt you'd get far in the alps in a modern 4x4 Audi RS with summer tyres....

Actually based on 2012, maybe we all just need rain tyres for all year round grip

Does anyone agree, or is ok spending £700 on rubber on a basic family car, just to cover winter and summer options these days?

Oh dear God not again!

Bezza said...

I cant help thinking that 20 years ago we never needed winter tyres, because our cars were shod with sensible sized wheels and tyres and that this winter tyres craze is just another bloody motoring rip off! I was reading an old car mag article yesterday where they took the Audi Quattro and Lancia Delta Integrale to Italy in the snow, on normal everyday tyres, in the good ol days of 195/55/15 rubber...
I somehow doubt you'd get far in the alps in a modern 4x4 Audi RS with summer tyres....

Actually based on 2012, maybe we all just need rain tyres for all year round grip

Does anyone agree, or is ok spending £700 on rubber on a basic family car, just to cover winter and summer options these days?

The point you're missing is that for 4 months of the year (or whatever) your summer tyres aren't wearing out so it's not an additional cost, it all works out about the same.

The biggest problem we have in this country is how quickly it swings from freezing temps to 10C and back to 2C which means whichever tyres you have on are compromised.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

February is always the worst month is it not ?

I think the thing with winter tyres goes like this:

Put some on if you want to, but it's not a necessity.

End.

I stuck some Goodyear ultragrip 8's on the pug a month back for geek reasons & they were cheap - just in time for the freeze to become monsoon.

However, they are absolutely brilliant in the wet. So far I've had zero aquaplaning issues & cornering is great.

Even in the dry the grip remains superb - although if I push too hard I swear I can feel the tread blocks breaking up:? :lol:

Really chuffed so far.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

The Brunette's (I know how you all love it when I call her that) Abarth needed 3 tyres replacing with the other pristine P Zero being only a couple of months old, so I decided she should buy 4 cheapo Nexen winter tyres (only £60-odd each) and fit those now, then 3 P Zeros to match the survivor in the spring.

They certainly have more grip than the 3 near bald P Zeros, but feel softer and squidgier despite being the same size.

Hoping for some light snow to try them out properly.

Sod's Law dictates we will have the warmest and driest winter for decades...

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

Sod's Law dictates we will have the warmest and driest winter for decades...

Undoubtedly, as I put winters on the Volvo (and forked out for wheels too).

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

It's about 12 degrees here today, so not even thinking about winter tyres :shock:

Bezza said...

I cant help thinking that 20 years ago we never needed winter tyres...

My dad talks about fitting mud and snow tyres to his minis back in the day (~40 years ago).

People not understanding that they are cost neutral is the new thing I think!

--

Cheers,
Mike

They let women get out and about in snowy weather to do the shopping.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

Well there are a couple of reasons that the winter tyre option isn't common in the UK most people
- They don't have a decent size garage.
- Don't think that the UK gets hot/cold/wet/dry

You could ask the same reason why so many people buy Cabrios in the UK?

--

Whiskey is my yoga

I put winters on the misses Avant last year after the bad one we had in 2010/early 2011.

Since then we've had about half an inch of snow - once.

They are pretty decent in the cold and wet tho. Went for nankang sv-2's

Updated January 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

--

Strong Broo Racing

Sisu said...

You could ask the same reason why so many people buy Cabrios in the UK?

Status.

"I have a Golf!"

"I have a Golf Convertible..."

Note how rarely you see them with the roof down, even when it's glorious sunshine. I'm pretty sure most owners don't know how to get the roof down.

I've got winter tyres on my Jazz and they are noticably better than the (admittedly past their best) P3000's on the other set of wheels in the wet/cold.

But when it does occasionally snow they are brilliant, the feeling of smugness as you happily drive past wazzocks spinning their wheels and going no where is worth the price of admission alone, and isn't that what this forum is all about? :D

--

Clio 182/Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

Since october 1st 2012, winter tyres have become compulsory in Luxembourg in icy or snowy conditions. This means that on the territory of my fair Grand Duchy, you're not allowed to drive your motor vehicle should it not be thus equipped. Fines are 74 EUR.

I reckon the main reason for this law passing are all the French and Belgian plebs creating havoc on the roads in their buggered sheds on bald Ditchfinders between November and March.

Winter tyres do work better in slippery conditions, in my experience.

--

Cunt

Alex88 said...

Oh dear God not again!

exactly. :roll:

Try driving on hail stones with summer tyres; ain't happening.

What you're referring to are "all weather" tyres. Usually found on the smaller econobox cars where budgets are tight. Anything remotely sporty will have proper summer tyres which are well known to loose all grip and spit you into hell at anything less than 7C.

Orange Cola said...

Try driving on hail stones with summer tyres; ain't happening.

What you're referring to are "all weather" tyres. Usually found on the smaller econobox cars where budgets are tight. Anything remotely sporty will have proper summer tyres which are well known to loose all grip and spit you into hell at anything less than 7C.

This is a big part of it I think. I drove for years in the UK and managed absolutely fine year round unless it was rare heavy snow. However I wasn't driving a RWD car with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on. Sticky summer rubber is far more commonplace than it once was as power levels are so high even on mid-range cars compared to ye olde days.

Car trends have led to bigger, heavier and more powerful vehicles which people expect to remain stable and handle better than the previous model. The addition of summer tyres is the only way you'll get the performance "off the forecourt".

It's just a shame that people are stupid unsafe drivers who consider tyres to be expensive inconvenient black circles.

Personally I wouldn't mind it being law that larger non budget cars have to come with two sets of wheels and tyres and and an extra £1k on top of the purchase price.

Every time I read one of these threads it reminds of those people who come on forums saying winter tyres are pointless, then crash in about a years time when it snows, then become converts :lol:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular