Forums > General > Heart in throat moments

HEART IN THROAT MOMENTS
Previous | 1 | Next

Had one on the way to work today. Going fairly quickly along a back road to work, I see a dip in the road but it's too late to do anything so I go through it. (Baffled that I didn't know it was there as I use it occasionally) As the car comes out it feels like it's left the road and the steering's gone very light, as the car settles it's veered left, then right and then finally back into line. Felt like it took an eternity to settle. Needless to say, definite brown trouser moment.

I also might add this was only the most recent, there's been worse!

Anyone else got any recently?

What do you mean by 'dip'?

--

This ^

Not really sure what it was as I didn't get a look at it. Just felt like the car went down before it went up!

Like a pothole?

There's loads round here with more appearing by the day. I hit one this morning. The runflats give a nice crash then I shout 'FVCK' then cringe a bit.

--

This ^

I don't think so as it stretched the length of half the road, more like roadworks that hadn't been repaired properly.

click

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

This is why I like cars with lots of suspension droop, they seem to float across the road and dip the wheels into the imperfections as apposed to falling into them.

Well that's how it feels anyway :lol:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I came the closest I've been in a long time to a crash today - proper shaking hands for a few minutes afterwards. Joining the highway, moving across to get into the outside lane and came within a few inches of properly side-swiping a SWB Pajero.

Bloody hell - talk about blind spot, and I'm normally pretty good at all-round awareness.

The girl in the Pajero, in fairness to her, gave me a nod when I raised a hand in apology as she went past, good on her.

Thank God you didn't do a 'Skipper'

_Mick_N said...

Thank God you didn't do a 'Skipper'

Indeed, that's exactly what I did in my Sport 190. Only it ended up like this:

Updated January 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

@ Tim :shock:. Were you OK back then?

A few years ago, I was approaching the same mini roundabout that I've been for the last 20 years but for some strange reason didn't see the car in front braking to a stop. I almost rear ended it at 30ish mph and probably would have caused a 4 or 5 car pile up. It's the first time I've emergency braked (for real) and had all four wheels skidding and smoking.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

A pillars have stood up well considering you rolled it

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

He hasn't been as argumentative since, definitely mellowed :lol:

Years ago when I was a nipper, I was coming down a hill & spotted my mate waiting to pull out of the junction half way up.

Thinking it'd be an awesome thing to do, I yanked up my handbrake as I went past. I had visions of smoke billowing from my tyres as I sailed on by.

Unfortunately, only 1 wheel locked up on my trusty Mk1 Astra & I proceeded to fishtail wildly out of control, in & out of the gaps of the 5 oncoming cars!

God only knows how I missed any of them, let alone all, but fortune favours the idiotic & my mate got a hard time from one of the drivers as they thought he'd pulled out on me & I'd swerved to avoid him :lol:

Not so sure about heart in throat, more like shit in pants.

Updated January 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Marv said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

He hasn't been as argumentative since, definitely mellowed :lol:

LOL - I was about to post something on those line too!

Spaced out on the way to work two blocks from home, went through a red light - fvck. Stopped halfway in the junction, nothing hit me. But a bit of a wake up call. Dozy bastard.

Screaming up a slip road in a 205 GTi... queuing traffic, epic brake fade.

Had to go into semi-hard shoulder (verge) and hope the rear kept planted, and the traffic at the top was kind.

It was. But totally shat my pants. Never entered a slip road that quick since.

--

The Clio 200 - has gone :(
The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

Alex88 said...

I don't think so as it stretched the length of half the road, more like roadworks that hadn't been repaired properly.

Had this inmy Ibiza years ago. They had dug out basically a trench and the "ramp" sign had fallen down. Was making progress as well. Almighty BANG which knocked the tracking miles out loosened the dashboard and fvucked one of the p-zeros. Was raging.

Updated January 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

--

Strong Broo Racing

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular