Forums > General > Ubuntu - now for your phone!

UBUNTU - NOW FOR YOUR PHONE!
Previous | 1 | Next

Ubuntu

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

Utterly pointless IMO

An answer to a question no one's asking...

A folly.

PugRallye2 said...

Utterly pointless IMO

A folly.

I think if Ubuntu was more deeply engrained in the enterprise, it would be a less strange proposition. If this was a Windows Phone 8 device that could be docked and used as a full Windows 8 Desktop, people would be raving.

I'll hold off to see what the kids at XDA-Dev can do. If they can get it on a Snapdragon chipset, I'll probably give it a go on my Desire S...

Beany said...

PugRallye2 said...

Utterly pointless IMO

A folly.

I think if Ubuntu was more deeply engrained in the enterprise, it would be a less strange proposition. If this was a Windows Phone 8 device that could be docked and used as a full Windows 8 Desktop, people would be raving.

I'll hold off to see what the kids at XDA-Dev can do. If they can get it on a Snapdragon chipset, I'll probably give it a go on my Desire S...

So a RHEL one would stand more chance ?

Still good luck to Ubuntu it cant be worse than android

Cheers

Steve

_Steveo_ said...

Beany said...

PugRallye2 said...

Utterly pointless IMO

A folly.

So a RHEL one would stand more chance ?

Still good luck to Ubuntu it cant be worse than android

Cheers

Steve

To be frank, yes - but Ubuntu is considered to be the friendly face of Linux to an extent - less ostentatiously geeky, more gentle.

I can't help thinking that RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux to those not educated in our heretical *NIXy ways) would, if it were to be put on a phone platform, be ignored by everyone. RHEL is to Ubuntu what Windows 2000 is to XP; it's not for normals by standards measured in polite, non geek society. Ubuntu can at least claim to be reasonably popular among people with social lifes and the ability to communicate in more than monosyllabic grunts, Hayes AT commands and esoteric command line references. ;)

Say what you like about Canonical, but they know how to generate controversy and get geeks talking. Geeks talking (and working) and some fairly steady sailing by Google is pretty much what got Android where it is today...because fvck knows it wasn't fluidity of the interface or sweet, clean design until about a year ago :lol:

Linux for such devices has been available for 3 years.

It is indeed pointless.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

How does that relate to Ubuntu for Android? (doesn't look like it exists yet)

That's claiming 'Android for the phone experience and Ubuntu when docked', yet at the same time they are pushing Ubuntu for the phone :?

--

JonMad said...

How does that relate to Ubuntu for Android? (doesn't look like it exists yet)

That's claiming 'Android for the phone experience and Ubuntu when docked', yet at the same time they are pushing Ubuntu for the phone :?

AFAIK....

Ubuntu For Android was running within the Android JVM - IE a big performance hit.

This is a raw, hardware level OS. So rather than

<interface>
<JVM/DalvikVM interpreter thingy>
<Linux Kernel>
<Hardware>

You have
<interface>
<linux kernel>
<hardware>

So native Ubuntu should be far faster than Ubuntu for Android on the same hardware, without all that tedious mucking about with java interpreters/VMs etc in the middle.

Maemo (which I think is what Mark is referring to?) is probably the previous big true Linux-on-mobile (IE pure linux rather than linux to host an interpreted abstraction layer of some kind with an interface on top) which was warmly recieved from a technical standpoint, and pretty powerful by all accounts, but roundly dumped by Nokia when MS started humping their leg...

This was May 2010 for my phone. Before you could even run Android on it. (And it was on the Blackstone before that)
CLICK

Updated January 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Thing is, this is all predicated on the idea that people want one device and not several - and that's absolutely not what's happening.

I was reading an article recently about "four screen" users - people who have a smart phone, tablet, laptop/desktop and a TV and how we transition between these devices.

The key thing is how apps can sync and transition with you - so you start to watch a film on your phone on the way home and when you get home, your TV picks up where you left off. Then, when you go to bed, your tablet picks up where your TV left off.

I would also put good money on the fact that most "casual" PC users now have a laptop and not a desktop - I would imagine that only "power" users have a desktop (in the main). So, I'm not really sure who this is aimed at?

Casual users (who don't typically have a monitor at home anyway) who Ubuntu is expecting will connect their phone to a TV?

Or "power" users, who have a monitor but would rather use their phone rather than their custom-built, water-cooled monster of a tower PC?

I don't get it.

Where's the market for a (relatively) low powered PC that requires a monitor (or TV); doesn't have an established app store etc?

A great illustration of why businesses should have product managers - I would be amazed if Ubuntu used a product manager for this - and if they did - he needs firing...

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular