Forums > General > Motorway Fails

MOTORWAY FAILS
Previous | 12 | Next

I don't know why drivers want to tow.....

M25

France/Lux

Pictures taken by rear passenger.

Updated January 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I once got into a weave that took half a mile and 2 lanes to get under control when towing a Vauxhall Firenza rolling shell on a trailer.

Needless to say, I'm no fan of towing anything.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Once saw a horse box trailer flip a swb Landie onto the central barrier, coming down Kelsall hill. Wasn't pretty as the horses were not happy about it one bit.

NotoriousREV said...

I once got into a weave that took half a mile and 2 lanes to get under control when towing a Vauxhall Firenza rolling shell on a trailer.

Could you not just stop or slow? Or does that make it worse?

--

Strong Broo Racing

Rev does not lift the ribbing after such an event would be merciless

Cheers

Steve

scotta said...

NotoriousREV said...

IIRC there are opposing camps on this one, some say power through it, some think lifting is the way to go. I would suggest not getting near the recommended towing weight in the first place and trying to avoid the situation entirely.

Buying a proper car for the job and learning where your skill and experience run out is pretty much essential :D

I love the 70+ year olds who take their QE2 sized caravans on the back of a 1.5L car and start giving grief to other road users :lol:

I have memories of our annual holiday to Devon, 2.5 Landie towing a caravan, 50mph max on a good day. I thought Devon was a million miles away at that age cos it took all day to get there :(

scotta said...

NotoriousREV said...

It was lifting off that started it. Coming downhill on the M6 northbound approaching J15, some prick decides to joint from the slip road without looking. I eventually, after some sawing, tried mashing which worked.

Turns out a Subaru MV1800 probably isn't heavy enough to pull a rolling shell on a trailer. Learned my lesson.

--

There are few motoring experiences quite as exciting as a trailer/caravan starting to snake on you. Probably only rivalled by driving with your eyes shut like Seb.

_Steveo_ said...

Rev does not lift the ribbing after such an event would be merciless

Cheers

Steve

Ding

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

a couple of times i've had people coming the other way hit the central reservation whilst i've been in the outside lane on my side.

tends to focus the mind somewhat :shock:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

While we're on the subject of things going wrong whilst stuff is being towed, I will never forget the day some nob pulled out of a junction towing a caravan forcing me to do an emergency stop. However, the car went forwards and the caravan didn't, in the space of a second I went from experiencing blind rage to laughing that hard I almost wet myself, instant karma at its very best.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

We picked up my first 405 on a double axle trailer, towing it with a 205 1.8 XD :lol:. It wasn't fun when I was doing the handbrake and my mate doing the footbrake after we had forgotten to remove the reversing sleeve on the brakes :oops:

I towed over 3 tons with my Defender and it was great, stable and sure footed. It was loaded correctly though and my tow hitch was the correct height.

As for accelerating or slowing, I slow very slowly indeed as unless you have shed loads of power, you just wont affect it enough imo. Doing the right thing though takes experience as it is bloody scary when the tail wags the dog :shock:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

integrale_evo said...

a couple of times i've had people coming the other way hit the central reservation whilst i've been in the outside lane on my side.

tends to focus the mind somewhat :shock:

I reckon my bumper tagged about 3 cars coming the other way. Always wonder what happened to them - they didn't stop.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

I have used a Land Rover 90 to pull a 14' twin axle trailer with another land Rover on it, and it was fine. Painfully slow up anything resembling even a slight incline, but fine.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

When I first started racing I bought a trailer from some numpty who had modified it moving the bed enough behind the axle to make it unstable when loaded, but not enough that you could tell by eye. I first used it to tow my first mower home and anything more than 30 resulted in a wild snake as the tail tried to wag the dog, that 25 miles was the most painful of my life (along with the queue of traffic behind me).
It took me and my mate baz 40 minutes to move the bed forward and cure the problem when we were home.
I tow regularly now and always load carefully and also match the tow vehicle well (current match is about 75%).

Carl.

Sundayjumper said...

I have used a Land Rover 90 to pull a 14' twin axle trailer with another land Rover on it, and it was fine. Painfully slow up anything resembling even a slight incline, but fine.

Does the double axle make a difference?

--

Strong Broo Racing

Yes - much more stable. Double-axle inherently resists snaking - single axle doesn't, hence the popularity of anti-snake devices on tow-hitches.

I was about 5 cars behind a caravan a couple of years back on the M6 that started to snake. Everyone backed off and left him space.

Eventually the whole rig did a complete 180 and ended up parked neatly, albeit facing the wrong direction, on the hard shoulder. Russ Swift couldn't have done it any better. Although Russ Swift doesn't normally look as pale as the driver did after one of his stunts :lol:

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular