Forums > Thread archives > GT86/BRZ....would it bother you?

GT86/BRZ....WOULD IT BOTHER YOU?
Previous | 1 | Next

So, you've read the reports, fell in love on the test drive and bought your GT86/BRZ.

Would it bother you if you found that a few of the advertised horses had done a stampede as in the ad for the AE86?

Seems a fair few of the cars are putting out 140-150 at the wheels, a fair few down on what you might expect for a 200bhp car

Seems to be borne out to a certain extent when you look at the performance figures for a similar weight rwd coupe putting out 167ish bhp - Nissan's old 200SX in 1.8 form

If you had shelled out the cash, would you be a bit miffed or not care as the car was so good to drive and performance in a straight line wasn't its raison d'etre anyway?

Would you still have bought it ( even with an advertised 170bhp ) solely for the driving and cornering dynamics?

--

Roadgoing Group A racecar

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

30-40bhp down on advertised power is a lot. 200bhp seemed low for £26k, 160-170bhp is plain pants

My nearly 20yr old 968 is faster than that :lol:

Marv said...

My nearly 20yr old 968 is faster than that :lol:

The old 150bhp 2.8 V6 XR4i (similar weight to the GT86 and also rwd ) actually records a faster 'best possible' 70-90 time and matches the fastest 30-50 and 40-60 times of the Toyota. ( test data from Autocar timings in both cases ).

Maybe the GT86/BRZ engines will loosen up with miles....

--

don't buy one - case closed!:evil:

Ironically the AE86 itself was known for not quite making the advertised 125hp.

I test drove the GT86 and decided for myself that it wasn't fast enough for me, without reference to the official numbers. Had I then chosen to buy one, it would have been in full knowledge of how fast it is/isn't, so I probably wouldn't have been bothered if the numbers weren't as advertised.

Samoht said...

Ironically the AE86 itself was known for not quite making the advertised 125hp.

I test drove the GT86 and decided for myself that it wasn't fast enough for me, without reference to the official numbers. Had I then chosen to buy one, it would have been in full knowledge of how fast it is/isn't, so I probably wouldn't have been bothered if the numbers weren't as advertised.

Must admit I've never heard that re the AE86 - I had a Manta GTE which did use its 110bhp to good effect in the group tests between the two - how much was the AE86 shy in some cases?

I guess you found the 200SX/GT86 comparison figures unsurprising as you managed to get a test drive in. My local dealership weren't very forthcoming with test drives when I asked - rear passenger legroom looked poorer than the Mini to be honest

Updated January 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

--

A few years back I read on a credible-looking AE86 enthusiast website that when dyno'd new, they tended to come in around 115hp rather than the advertised 125. However I now cannot find said website, nor any other source to back this up.

I had a test drive in the GT86 after signing up in advance on Toyota's mailing list for the car. Given what's been reported I would have thought that by now, at least one nearby dealer would be keen to offer you a drive in one, but maybe I'd be wrong.

My S13 had the SR20, with the boost wound up a bit on the std turbo. If you're used to a car like that, you would need to accept that the GT86 is a totally different experience, nowhere near as urgent when it comes to acceleration.

Rear seats are pretty tight, yes - another area it offers less than the S13 (itself no paragon of rear passenger accommodation).

Samoht said...

A few years back I read on a credible-looking AE86 enthusiast website that when dyno'd new, they tended to come in around 115hp rather than the advertised 125. However I now cannot find said website, nor any other source to back this up.

I had a test drive in the GT86 after signing up in advance on Toyota's mailing list for the car. Given what's been reported I would have thought that by now, at least one nearby dealer would be keen to offer you a drive in one, but maybe I'd be wrong.

My S13 had the SR20, with the boost wound up a bit on the std turbo. If you're used to a car like that, you would need to accept that the GT86 is a totally different experience, nowhere near as urgent when it comes to acceleration.

Hmm, always thought the AE86 was quite spritely so was interested to hear that.

I applied on the online site for a test drive as well, it was all set for a Saturday afternoon after an initial contact from the dealer....but then had a call about 2 hours before saying they needed to re-schedule ( presumably the car or dealer was unavailable ) and they'd ring me back. I never did get a call but managed to have a look/sit in a static car on display at a shopping centre. Seeing the rear legroom made me realise it was going to be no good even for children. I never bothered to chase the dealer up after that as it would have been no good for my car usage. I think there was much more room in the old AE86 from when Flewy gave Jurag and myself a lift on an EVO meet.

Still like to drive one but it won't be a replacement for the Cooper S as I'd hoped.

I wasn't expecting it to have 200SX urgency ( although I've only got experience of the early S14 which had the same PWR on paper ) but hoped it might have a little more useable poke than the old XR4i, Manta GTE 2.4 I owned. Maybe there will be a slightly torquier version in the future.

Nice RX7 by the way - reminds me of Barry's old car which went well when I saw it

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular