Forums > General > car insurance

CAR INSURANCE
Previous | 1 | Next

So, I might be moving to the uk from portugal this year, to study at coventry university ( auto design). Thing is, I wanted to get a car to drive there, as I cant imagine not driving for the next 4 years. Just. No.

So I want to get a car.

At first, when searching on the ph classifieds and autotrader etc, I was pretty amazed at the prices. For example, 3k for an rx8? I was sold. So I went to try the insurance, and instantly gave up on it. I had a quote of 30 THOUSAND POUNDS . Per year. How the hell?
Now, last time I searched and did these online insurance quotes was about a year or so ago. I´ve been trying to do it again, and for some reason I cant get any online quotes any more, always on diferent insurance sites.

I was thinking about getting something old, reliable and rwd.

I´ve narrowed it down to

-an mx5 ( na
- 924 ( 2.0 litre version, although the turbo version would be pretty nice but ive heard some bad stories)
-any other suggestion you guys might have that meets the above criteria. Pop-up headlights are very welcome. I dont want anything wildly powerfull, just something fun to drive. My current car is a discovery 300 tdi. I think anything is faster than that. No, scratch that, Im pretty sure anything is faster than the disco.

So, what im really asking is, could i get any of these cars, even though :
-im a foreigner, -
im 20 years old ( but could probably wait till 21 to get the car, maybe the insurance quote could be cheaper? )
- and have been driving since jan 2012, with no accidents ( but the cars is in my dads name, so is the insurance)

Is there hope for me?

Updated January 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM

In a nutshell no - you are buggered.

You are
(a) Young
(b) percieved high risk - you have zero NCB in your own name

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Great. :(

Unfortunately it has always been this way.

I reckon you should be able to insure a MX5 for around a grand when you're 21. But you're pretty fvcked without ncb.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Portugal isn't madly far away - could you buy and insure something at home and drive it over? Or even buy an MX5 here, export it back to Portugal to register and insure, then drive it back here?

Jobbo said...

Portugal isn't madly far away - could you buy and insure something at home and drive it over? Or even buy an MX5 here, export it back to Portugal to register and insure, then drive it back here?

That's what I thought too but what's the prices of MX5s over in Portugal, plus is there a great selection?

I think your only real solution is to get a push bike.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

This, unfortunately.

Alex88 said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

This, unfortunately.

Holy crap!! If Alex88 is saying this, then you really are well and truly f***ed

--

Nuts on the road

Well, I wanted to get a car here in Portugal, but I have no idea if that would be possible insurance wise, going to ask around next week. And prices for mx5s start at around 4000 for a somewhat decent one. If I want a good example, say, well maintained, stock, and with "low miles" ( 100 000 km? ) Its something around 6 to 7000.

924´s on the other hand..
They are much cheaper, and there are more in better condition, starting 2000 to 5000 can get a good one.
Well, I think I should start looking for push bikes. Or maybe tricylcles.

focus69 said...

Alex88 said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

This, unfortunately.

Yes, exactly what I thought. I was kind of hoping to get an answer from Alex88 saying " dont worry, Its all good"

Oh well.

Jobbo said...

well, If I wanted to get a car over in the UK and register it over here, it would probably cost me around 5000 euros. So it wouldnt be worth it.

Yup. Pushbike it is.

Updated January 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

misfit32 said...

focus69 said...

Alex88 said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

This, unfortunately.

Yes, exactly what I thought. I was kind of hoping to get an answer from Alex88 saying " dont worry, Its all good"

Oh well.

Youngsters here are paying thousands to insure rubbish cars as it is, let alone anything performance. And Sadly, the fact you'd have just moved here won't help in getting it cheaper!

After you've been in the UK for a year, and you're almost 22 then you should be able to find a decent-ish price.

Don't let it stop you shopping round though, there's lots of insurers here and all have different criteria.

Yea, will definitely keep on looking, but I´ve lost hope on finding a decent price...

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular