Forums > General > Is anyone going to buy a Toyota GT86?

IS ANYONE GOING TO BUY A TOYOTA GT86?
Previous | 1234 | Next

Reading through the forum's car plans for this year and couldn't help noticing that the GT86 isn't on anyones wish list. Is the M135i stealing sales with its appealing mix of practicality and performance for only £4k more? Are Toyota selling many at all and if so are they to the under 30s and this forum is full of old farts?

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

I want one.

But unfortunately, im a broke university student.
And then theres that dillema:
If I had the 25.000 to get the gt86, would I really get it?

I could maybe get an old 911, an elise, cayman.

So.Many. Choices.

Nope - I'd rather put that money towards a proper one.

Oh if only I knew someone who coud build such a monster...

;)

--

Bunta's Tofu

I'm starting to see quite a few here in the US but at £16k it's not surprising. In comparison a 135i (no M here yet) is £25k so in a totally different bracket. I think they look good, grey seems to be the most popular colour.

they're quite popular here in Oz. A fellow I work with is trading his 335i for a GT86 when he gets to the front of the waiting list apparently. He's 24 or something.

If I had the money, I'd be buying something used. Like the US, the m135i is in another bracket entirely ($49k vs $90-$100k)

phut said...

they're quite popular here in Oz. A fellow I work with is trading his 335i for a GT86 when he gets to the front of the waiting list apparently. He's 24 or something.

If I had the money, I'd be buying something used. Like the US, the m135i is in another bracket entirely ($49k vs $90-$100k)

NZ much the same - seen quite a few about in Auckland, but they're $42k, when that money won't even get you in a 116i.

Interestingly, it's priced more competitively against the rest of Toyota's range too - cheaper than the base Prius, about the same as a well-specced Corolla/Auris.

94 on Autotrader, all looking like dealer stock / demos, starting at £22.3k. Shouldn't take too long to dip under £20k.

The first new car in years I'd consider buying, however with the seat in my driving position the rear seats are redundant, no space whatsoever, that killed it instantly for me. :(

Shame as seen a few on the road now and they look good.

If I was spending that sort of cash then the M135 would totally take it. Less than 200bhp, sub 8 secs to 60 and an ugly rear Vs 300+bhp, sub 5 seconds to 60 and an ugly front for basically the same money. No brainer IMO.

--

Cheers

Rich

I'd rather have a second hand Cayman or Z4 Coupe.

--

Speed holes.

Whilst the mags rave about it you may as well buy a second hand mx5 and something practical, don't really get why anyone would want a sports car that's slower than a Clio

--

Cheers Ben

I've seen a few on the road now, including one BRZ whose looks I slightly preferred. All driven by blokes aged ~50+. Weird demographic.

Jobbo said...

I've seen a few on the road now, including one BRZ whose looks I slightly preferred. All driven by blokes aged ~50+. Weird demographic.

I've only seen one on the road, also driven by a 40+ bloke. Who you think would be able to afford to run a 2nd hand Cayman, etc. Toyota's intended demographic can't afford to run a Cayman, 911, etc so I don't see these as being valid alternatives in this context.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Will this end up appealing to the same group post people that bought the (categorically different and entirely awful) Paseo?

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Call me when they're 5k and have an engine.

JL said...

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

--

Nuts on the road

No. It is never going to be on my radar even second hand when for similar momey you can get faster and more enticing machinery.

No doubt it is the last thing in drifting according to Tiff but I dont have the NEC at my disposal so would rather have a TT quattro.

Marv said...

I'd rather have a second hand Cayman or Z4 Coupe.

this, or the M135i

focus69 said...

JL said...

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

X eleventy

--

Out of step with the forum.

It's too expensive but I guess the 135i is making a lot of cars expensive in comparison.

Also, I don't think I could live with the fact that standard turbot hatches could embarrassed it in the straight no matter how much fun it provides round the corners.

As for the looks, I like them way more than fugly.

There are quite a few round where I live. In fact, neighbour just took delivery of a nice red one. Might ask for p-ride.

Rich B said...

If I was spending that sort of cash then the M135 would totally take it. Less than 200bhp, sub 8 secs to 60 and an ugly rear Vs 300+bhp, sub 5 seconds to 60 and an ugly front for basically the same money. No brainer IMO.

Have to agree with this chap.

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular