Forums > evo magazine > Cancelling Subscription

CANCELLING SUBSCRIPTION
Previous | 1 | Next

Been a subscriber for a long time now, the writing and photography has always, and still is, 1st class. The problem is the cars. Always enjoy reading features about supercars,even if i'll never afford one, but there seems to be very few manufacturers actually making affordable, practical,five star evo cars anymore.And by affordable i mean sub £20k.Hot hatches ( which is what i'm really getting at) have become way too expensive,too fast,and no way near a 5 star car.The choice seems to be a clio cup (boot to small and cramped in the back) or megane (too small in the back and too expensive). I'm not one of these people who's stuck in the past, i just find that more often than not, more and more new cars that are launched leave me feeling cold. Anyone else feel the same?

Yep I agree mate. When a Suzuki Swift Sport seems to be one of the better sorted cars out there, you know something is going awry with new cars. It might get better but I doubt it, the direction of the industry is towards more fuel efficiency and alternative fuels. New car prices are excessive, the GT86 has some appeal but the price is silly - but much the same as the comparable fast hatches. And the car generally is inching towards standardisation within each class. I'm saving for a Caterham now. Other than that, only the Clio really interests me. Just too much sameness across the Evo articles these days, but in fairness they don't have that much material to work with it seems.

Cool Story.

see my thread

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=49223

Zorrosmart, i can't seem to make that link work. The Swift is a cracking car, but just a tad too small, and does it really need tyres that massive? Surely with all the traction control/stability/etc etc someone can fit some 185 tyres on and have some real fun? I really think that if someone like me is starting to think that there's no point buying new cars, then the car industry has got more problems than just the recession. I like the gt86, but am struggling to think how it is so much more expensive than say, an mx5? I really like the clio, but as i already mentioned, a bit small,and, as like all the other hot hatches, a 'spirited' drive ends up in three figures before you've barely got out of third gear.

the "track day " Land Rover nearly tipped me over the edge towards cancelling but i think it was an early April fool.

Apparently we can advertise a car for sale for free - i've not got the magazine here anyone know how you can do this?
cheers

--

Evo forum - for the best SUV coverage going

I agree, if someone was to come out with a modern interpretation of a 306 GTI-6 right now, id be more than happy. All you need is 1100 KG, 140-150 BHP per ton, power to weight and some lift off oversteer! simpplz

All modern cars are two overengined, over tyred and overgizmo'd. Thats why some of us are keeping our classics like our 205 GTIss

The Clio 200 and M3 have been done to death in EVO, but I guess its because the fun to drive competition is scarce...

ltjonmclane said...

Zorrosmart, i can't seem to make that link work. The Swift is a cracking car, but just a tad too small, and does it really need tyres that massive? Surely with all the traction control/stability/etc etc someone can fit some 185 tyres on and have some real fun? I really think that if someone like me is starting to think that there's no point buying new cars, then the car industry has got more problems than just the recession. I like the gt86, but am struggling to think how it is so much more expensive than say, an mx5? I really like the clio, but as i already mentioned, a bit small,and, as like all the other hot hatches, a 'spirited' drive ends up in three figures before you've barely got out of third gear.

Your right ability to have fun over say saftey is a issue with new cars. Take for example the old Ford Ka very the New Ford Ka for enjoyment.... if only the old Ka had been given a decent engine it would have been difficult to knock in its day.

I wouldnt go for the GT86 in its current form, a turbo or force induction model will come out and the 'plumb line' depreciation that usually comes with japan cars will happen on the n/a model as people go to upgrade.

The link which you found was to demostrate how hot hatches in the last 15years have changed, in those days you usually only had mechnical grip to keep you in straight line..... large tyres and electrical aids are maybe not he answer for what the niche look for.

Cancelled my susbricption for similar reasons. I could never afford most of the cars featured, but as turbos, paddles and synthesised sound take hold, I'm not really interested in them either. Driven a few new, fast motors and they all leave me cold. By the time they're warming up, you're deep into the realms of irresponsibility, unless you do all your driving in north Wales, mid-week, which sadly, I don't.

To be honest I regret taking this stand, as no-one noticed except me and I'm missing out on top journalism and great features on the old stuff that I find interesting. I suggest you stick with the mag and try and own some of the cars you love that Evo introduced you to

I will cancel one of my subscriptions to EVO as well this is ridiculous.

Cheers

Steve

So this is a thread on a motoring magazine forum for people that have gone off cars?

Interesting, but why bother? :) Just get a new hobby and move on.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

In response to Zorro:
"Your right ability to have fun over say saftey is a issue with new cars. Take for example the old Ford Ka very the New Ford Ka for enjoyment.... if only the old Ka had been given a decent engine it would have been difficult to knock in its day."

I've got a SportKa with the 1.6. Yes the engine may be ancient but with a decent amount of torque and brilliant ride/handling balance, every drive is brilliant. Its only my second ever car (after having the 1.3 Ka, but also learning in a 03 Corsa, so I have some understanding what a rubbish cars feels like to drive) so I know that even though it feels like a rocket ship to me, it might be too slow for others. However, its great to feel the front tyres working, using the brilliant gear shift and embarrassing turbo diesel repmobiles when coming off roundabouts.

I suspect the 'ancient' engine referred to was the 1.3 (ISTR it made its debut in the Anglia), and your 1.6 SportKa is in fact a (rare and oft-overlooked) incarnation of an original Ka with a decent motor.

Samoht said...

I suspect the 'ancient' engine referred to was the 1.3 (ISTR it made its debut in the Anglia), and your 1.6 SportKa is in fact a (rare and oft-overlooked) incarnation of an original Ka with a decent motor.

Indeed that was my reference, sorry i drove a streetka with the 1.6 as was left bit flat.... i have not driven a Sportka 1.6 and maybe the engine is better suited.... but should ford have put in the puma 1.7?

The 1.3 of the original KA was ancient! If only ford had back in 1996 taken the risk of fitting the Yamaha 1.25zetec it would have made (in my opinion) a super city car.

But I recall at the time Ford were worried it would take away sales from the uncle festa.

you you pack of sad sacks.

if you want to read about affordable cars go buy what car.

:P

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular