Forums > General > evonomics tv stylee

EVONOMICS TV STYLEE
Previous | 12 | Next

Well, after deliberating since my last tv post, I was all set on buying a Samsung 6800, but in true evonomic styleee, I ended up buying today a 46" Sony HX853. No doubt it's the wrong one, but as it's. won every award going, it'll do.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Good buy! What next?

EDIT: and do you have a suitable hallway to hang it in?

Updated January 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Gwaredds trailer has a very generous hallway

Cheers

Steve

I'm after a new TV at the minute, for my eyes a Panasonic Plasma is still hard to beat. LCD / LED still make my eyes hurt too, don't know why.

Gwaredd said...

Well, after deliberating since my last tv post, I was all set on buying a Samsung 6800, but in true evonomic styleee, I ended up buying today a 46" Sony HX853. No doubt it's the wrong one, but as it's. won every award going, it'll do.

I have been deliberating about buying one of these but my 3 year old is still of that age where touching the TV screen, sticking stickers on it, etc is very much part of daily life... I think I'll wait. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

No, I don't mind at all mate. I paid £1229 from the Sony centre up the road & that included a Sony sound bar (essential on any flat TV) 7 Blu-ray films of varying quality, the complete 50th anniversary box set of Bond films on Blu-ray & a 5 year parts & labour warranty, so not a bad deal.

I know it's now available online for £1149 or so for just the TV if you have the above extras, but buying it from a shop gives me piece of mind, plus I could see it running on SD, HD & Blu-ray, & I could take it away there & then.

So far I've not tinkered at all, as I only unpacked it all last night (was busy knocking through to the hallway, natch) but so far I'm really impressed. At the moment, I'm only running the Virgin Media box through the SCART lead as the unit we have at the mo has no HDMI, but with the X-Reality Pro processing engine, this helps smooth out SD telly brilliantly. This also goes for compressed media that we watch a lot of, so was the main reason we chose this set.

Well, that & the fact it looks the tits with the monolithic/slab of black gorilla glass design.

The Xbox is running through HDMI though (set at 1080p?) & that looks awesome. Even the wife popped her head round the door & said 'wow!'

Still lots of playtime & tinkering, cabinet & Blu-ray player buying to do, but at least I don't feel like I'm the last person on the planet to trade up from a CRT anymore! :lol:

I also await Mark_B52's derision of my choice & why I didn't buy the KDL46HX923 instead ;)

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

I thought your budget was £1K and no more?

EDIT: Nice purchase anyway :D

Updated January 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I thought your budget was £1K and no more?

EDIT: Nice purchase anyway :D

Indeed it was, hence the 'evonomics' header ;)

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Should have bought this

Your link text

I bought the ex-demo 55" from the same place and it was perfect.

If I was after a 46" I would jump on this.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Gwaredd said...

at least I don't feel like I'm the last person on the planet to trade up from a CRT anymore! :lol:

You're not... :D

--

tevonomics.

Mark BT52 said...

Should have bought this

Your link text

It was this TV from you link that got me looking at Sony TVs at all! Despite it being a backlit LED set, it just didn't get the great reviews that the newer 853 gets & the remarks that you can see faint 'seams' at the pictures edge put me off, so for a few hundred more the 853 seemed a no brainer. Close decision though!

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Gwaredd said...

At the moment, I'm only running the Virgin Media box through the SCART lead as the unit we have at the mo has no HDMI

:lol: Get an HD box even if you don't get a Tivo; they're standard now even for the basic package IIRC.

Gwaredd said...

Mark BT52 said...

Should have bought this

Your link text

It was this TV from you link that got me looking at Sony TVs at all! Despite it being a backlit LED set, it just didn't get the great reviews that the newer 853 gets & the remarks that you can see faint 'seams' at the pictures edge put me off, so for a few hundred more the 853 seemed a no brainer. Close decision though!

Yep, the crease thing was a worry for me. But it was a short term production issue and only affected the early ones. Luckily ours doesn't have it.

The reviews for the 923 were a bit variable it's true. It really depends on whether you are a fan of the local dimming or not. Also I find that the Sonys are quite a lot more setup sensitive than the Samsungs.

Eg, I prefer Smooth/Film1 in the Motion Smoothing settings which many people displike for the so-called hyper-real soap opera effect it gives to film, as it compensates for the archaic 24fps restriction.

Similarly, unless you choose the correct settings for backlight dimming you don't get the full effect, and I notice that in the reviews they immediately chose film mode, which bizarrely limits the local backlighting function to the point that it is not worth having.

Anyway, the 853 is still a great set and appears to have better screen uniformity than the Samsungs generally.

Make sure you go into the main settings menu from the blue button, go to display -> settings and choose 'full' rather than auto for the screen size.
You'll notice that quite a lot of the broadcast image (or Blu-ray) is cut off normally by how how far inwards the channel logos are moved.

Remember it has the HD Freeview channels and you could connect an external USB drive as it has a built in PVR function.

Apparently they are going to replace the 923 with a 953 eventually.

Updated January 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Jobbo said...

Gwaredd said...

At the moment, I'm only running the Virgin Media box through the SCART lead as the unit we have at the mo has no HDMI

:lol: Get an HD box even if you don't get a Tivo; they're standard now even for the basic package IIRC.

I know, I phoned them this morning for a new one, but as our old one doesn't have HDMI, I have to use the SCART for now.

Cheers for the info Mark. No doubt I will need to ask you some more questions in the future, like how to access the game mode that seems hidden.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

I don't generally use game modes, I prefer to keep the processing and suffer the small lag, but I don't do online stuff.

I'd guess it is in Picture as one of the first options where Standard, Custom, Film are.

--

Do any of these Freeview HD TVs with USB recording have dual channels (record two at once, or record one watch another), or do you need a separate Freeview HD PVR for that? Thus rendering the Freeview HD capability of the TV redundant (as well as all other functionality overlaps you may or may not ever use - facebook, wireless streaming to/from phone etc.).

Following initial suggetsions from a mate I've started looking at this, this and this.

--

I just wish they had consoles set up in these places - I want to test how games play on them and various high seas movies via a usb stick - I dont watch tv and have no need of sky tv or that sort of thing.

--

Bunta's Tofu

JonMad said...

Do any of these Freeview HD TVs with USB recording have dual channels (record two at once, or record one watch another), or do you need a separate Freeview HD PVR for that? Thus rendering the Freeview HD capability of the TV redundant (as well as all other functionality overlaps you may or may not ever use - facebook, wireless streaming to/from phone etc.).

Following initial suggetsions from a mate I've started looking at this, this and this.

Jon, can't comment on whether any of those are worthwhile, but this atleast covers the STB and Bluray in one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231569992/Product.aspx

Or if you do go with more than one box may as well have Youview:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231789083/Product.aspx

Updated January 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Should have bought THIS

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular