Forums > General > OT - Hifi Question

OT - HIFI QUESTION
Previous | 123456 | Next

I'm considering upgrading my AV receiver. I've currently got a Denon -d.h.t-500SD which includes Denon 5.1 surround speakers Clicky

My telly only has two hdmi inputs which is a PITA so that and the fact that the DVD player has packed in on my current receiver I'm looking at possibly getting a new unit.

Questions

Currently I've got a passive sub which I'd like to keep as the speakers sound pretty good. However amp wise I haven't seen any that have a passive sub output only an active output. Is this the norm?

Additionally I've I used the hdmi inputs on a new amp will this throughput audio in 5.1/DTS?

S

Updated December 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

--

Strong Broo Racing

Apparently the letters d h and t together according to the forum make a censored word :?:

--

Strong Broo Racing

scotta said...

Questions

Currently I've got a passive sub which I'd like to keep as the speakers sound pretty good. However amp wise I haven't seen any that have a passive sub output only an active output. Is this the norm?

Additionally I've I used the hdmi inputs on a new amp will this throughput audio in 5.1/DTS?

S

It's only the all-in-one packages that are designed to power their own passive subs. I haven't come across an AV receiver with a powered sub output. The new AVR will certainly switch all your HDMI sources and obviously retain 5.1 etc.

What about using your existing satelite speakers and buying a new AVR and active sub? You could then upgrade the satelites at a later date.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

scotta said...

My telly only has two hdmi inputs which is a PITA

Get an auto switching 3-to1 HDMI cable. Sorted

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

mattcambs said...

scotta said...

Questions

S

It's only the all-in-one packages that are designed to power their own passive subs. I haven't come across an AV receiver with a powered sub output. The new AVR will certainly switch all your HDMI sources and obviously retain 5.1 etc.

What about using your existing satelite speakers and buying a new AVR and active sub? You could then upgrade the satelites at a later date.

Or ditch the sub and wheel these back out of retirement!

Don't think that's an option tho due to the grief I got about these being too big for the living room previously - hence the arrival of the Denon and the disappearance of my separates. :evil:

The sub just now has all the wiring hidden behind the skirting boards which I did when we replaced the flooring. It sits at the back of the room opposite the adjoining wall to next door (were semi detached) If I replaced it with an active one I'd need to relocate it next to the telly which is next to the adjoining wall. For noise reasons i wanted to avoid that. To run an RCA to the existing location is too much work. I could use my spare trusty old kenwood amp to run the sub I suppose. Doubt I'd get the nod for that tho.

--

Strong Broo Racing

exiges said...

scotta said...

My telly only has two hdmi inputs which is a PITA

Get an auto switching 3-to1 HDMI cable. Sorted

Sceptical on the quality of these. I'd like to not have to arse about swapping the optical cable when I want to change the surround between devices also (which I currently have to do)

--

Strong Broo Racing

Definitely wheel out the Wharfedales!!! Although, tbh, it looks like you're out of options due to she who must be obeyed :cry:

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

scotta said...

Or ditch the sub and wheel these back out of retirement!

A pair of these still provide my living room audio (music + tv). We've had several talks about replacing them as they are ancient now, but still sound awsumely FG.

High quality, full range stereo pair FTW!

Who needs the bother of all this 5.1 bollox. Save that for the cinema.

mik, those Tannoys look spendid. I remember reading reviews for them back in the 90s.

ETA: is that a valve amp I spy in the top right of the photo?

Updated December 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Library pic as opposed to my own Matt.

They are superb - crisp as the crispiest crisp, and responsive down to a rumbling 25hz. Driven by an equally superb NAD 3240PE amp.

I'll be gutted when either of those items dies as it will spell the end of them both :(

Those hexagonal Tannoys have the tweeter in the centre of the woofer don't they? Like Kefs? Always liked them, though they do look very 80s now Mik :lol:

I'm debating whether a pair of Spendor SA1s or Harbeth P3ESRs is worth £900-1500 to me, or whether I'll just get a cheap pair of Dali Zensor 1s to replace my flood-damaged Spendor S5es. It's impossible to audition them all in the same place :x

mattcambs said...

High quality, full range stereo pair FTW!

Who needs the bother of all this 5.1 bollox. Save that for the cinema.

mik, those Tannoys look spendid. I remember reading reviews for them back in the 90s.

ETA: is that a valve amp I spy in the top right of the photo?

I think you miss the point of a half decent active sub. Your amp (and speakers) will have an hard time trying to deliver the all the frequencies in a film, so have it work from 80hz and upwards and an active sub work below that and the whole sound will benefit. Integrate and match the sub's levels to the speakers and you won't even know where the lower frequencies are coming from.

Jobbo said...

Those hexagonal Tannoys have the tweeter in the centre of the woofer don't they? Like Kefs? Always liked them, though they do look very 80s now Mik

Yes, and yes :)

I bet if I took the drives out, sprayed them gloss white and stuck the drives back in, they would look 2013-as-4uck 8)

mattcambs said...

Definitely wheel out the Wharfedales!!! Although, tbh, it looks like you're out of options due to she who must be obeyed :cry:

This.

Annoyingly I have sitting up stairs those wharfedales (which are the bedroom radio speakers) a cracking Mordunt short centre (in the cuboard doing fvck all) and a set of Mission's that I previously used as surrounds(also in said cupboard)

I can just imagine the face if I suggested wheeling them all back out!

--

Strong Broo Racing

Yamaha, Arcam and Cyrus make the best pro-logic on the market bar none. Yamaha the best value, but they also do v high end. Don't wheel the Warfdales out for gods sake. They have been designing speakers in their sleep for the last 25 years. Seek out some great Missions on Fleabay (76 & 75 series from 10-15 years ago are still fantastic, I have some 752's £800 15 years ago, still hold their own against new high end stuff) or some Kefs - very clean detailed sound, but lighter bass than the Missions, no prob if you have a sub. RE the sub questions, I'm not up to speed on these. Many years ago I worked for Nottingham Hi-Fi centre, one of the best audio dealers in the land. Call Jerry or Andy there, what they don't know about hi-fi isn't worth knowing. Also, What Hi-Fi is a great reference guide, and they're usually on the money.

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

And speed camera is correct. Bass frequencies are none directional. Set it at the same levels and the sub can go anywhere, and you'll not know from where it's coming.

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk

Robby1977 said...

And speed camera is correct. Bass frequencies are none directional. Set it at the same levels and the sub can go anywhere, and you'll not know from where it's coming.

Yep - that's why I've got the sub on the other side of the room. I don't want to relocate it due to noise transfer through next door.

Yamaha - totally agree I've got a Yamaha receiver that I've had for over 15 years that's never missed a beat.

--

Strong Broo Racing

That's what I have, about the same age, a DSP-E492 receiver partnered with some newer Arcam stuff, for the L/R channels through the Missions. Is great, takes some time to set up the levels IMO, but want for nothing more, sounds incredible.
I would ideally like a sub, but not in a detached house, and they dislike my current noise enough already. Miserable old toilets!

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk

Robby1977 said...

That's what I have, about the same age, a DSP-E492 receiver partnered with some newer Arcam stuff, for the L/R channels through the Missions. Is great, takes some time to set up the levels IMO, but want for nothing more, sounds incredible.
I would ideally like a sub, but not in a detached house, and they dislike my current noise enough already. Miserable old toilets!

Yep mines is the dsp-rv592rds same as this

I've also got a Yamaha Minidisc player up the loft!

ETA - here's my spare kenwood that's a cracking little amp also!

Updated December 31, 2012 at 1:43 AM

--

Strong Broo Racing

Ahhhhh, very nice! Sounds like it's either the next model up from mine or a generation newer.

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk

Previous | 123456 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular