Forums > Moaning forum > Re-decorating houses

RE-DECORATING HOUSES
Previous | 1 | Next

After much procrastination I've decided to finally remove the horrific abomination that is Woodchip Wallpaper from the hallway (We've only been in the house 2 years...)

This stuff is evil, it refuses to come off the wall and when it does it takes half the wall with it, meaning I now have to endure the hell of DIY stores to buy the kit needed to knock the plaster off and replace it/patch it if at all possible.

Clearly I'm DIW despite having all the correct tools (Heavy duty razor scraper, steamer, great vocabulary for swearing etc etc)

Probably have another thread up in a few days grumping about the amount of dust and mess this is going to cause....

--

New exhaust valves and pipework fitted

Evil stuff. We ended up having the old plaster knocked off and plasterboard put up, to get rid of it.

Barry said...

Evil stuff. We ended up having the old plaster knocked off and plasterboard put up, to get rid of it.

Correct solution

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Solution is to completely cover the hallway walls with flat TV screens - the larger the screens, the fewer needed.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Just knock the house down and build another ;).

Otherwise, the answer is above.

--

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day and tomorrow don't look good either.

pilouil said...

Solution is to completely cover the hallway walls with flat TV screens - the larger the screens, the fewer needed.

Frameless, With a full 1:1 res rendition of woodchip wallpaper, yes?

Our whole house was covered in the shvt. 6 years later it only remains in the kitchen which is getting hit next year.

We will probably move when done :?

Score it, soak it and hack away with scraper for eternity :D

Most of the ground floor of our house had Artex on the walls when we moved in ! You can't get that stuff off, we ended up getting everything re-plastered.

--

It's not a Golf

pilouil said...

:lol:

The correct solution is to pay someone else do well. whatever's needed really

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

50kg of mortar mix and 25kg of topcoat plaster is currently sitting in my car and there are brick bolster chisels, club hammers, safety glasses, gloves, new lithium ion powered 18v drill, respirator masks, trowels of varying descriptions, plastering hawk, paint stripper and things i've bought today but cannot remember are awaiting their first usage.

Just need to go to toolstation and buy a spiral plaster mixer and i'm ready to go!

--

Sounds like the ideal way to recover from open heart surgery :)

Dinny_G said...

The correct solution is to pay someone else do well. whatever's needed really

Despite doing almost all my own decoration previously, when it came to my hallway which was fully woodchipped, I did the above.

It was just too much to face.

--

Large format print & graphics

Walls are pretty much shot and as the woodchip comes off the patch job gets biggerer and biggerer as areas of plaster just fall off...... add the patches that have already been badly done by the previous owners...... turning into one of those jobs you wish you'd never started.

On the plus side, using the steamer appears to be stabilising the plaster by driving some water into it so the minerals can re-bond it and i have a 5 litre tub of pva to water down and slap on liberally (might even need 2 or 3 coatings to save what I can.

Failing that, house at the end of the road houses a professional plasterer, I could piss off George Osborne and ask if he'll do a cash job on the hallway if it all goes terminally tits up :shock:

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular