Forums > General > £5-7k car for the Mrs?

£5-7K CAR FOR THE MRS?
Previous | 1234 | Next

Criteria:
- 5 doors
- space for 3 year old in car seat and (tall, wriggling, claustrophobic, impatient) 8 year old in back
- big enough to cope with motorway journeys
- max age 2006 / 60k miles
- annual mileage is under 10k and often short journeys so diesel not needed
- average real world ;) mpg >30
- not an Audi
- not overtly Mumsy or suffering from "I've lost all hope and I'm driving a Zafira" syndrome

Golf was the obvious choice. Except teh internetz has so many horror stories about mk5 Golf engines (petrol and diesel) I'm not sure.

I'd like a 1 Series but the lack of space is an issue. 3 Series Touring liked but again space is not great for the size of car.

Focus disliked due to poor quality experiences in the past.

Are there any obvios amazing evo choices I'm overlooking?

I'm going to proceed on the basis that your Mrs is a woman.

1. Make sure it's a colour she likes.
2. Make sure she chooses it herself.

HTH.

5 door fiesta? Great fun to drive with really good 1.25 petrol engine!

You can get some decent ones for 5-7 k on autotrader

[link]http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211164261751/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/quantity-of-doors/5/price-from/5000/price-to/7000/model/fiesta/make/ford/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/70/radius/1500/postcode/hx61nu?logcode=p[link]

Updated December 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Having examined this very sector recently:

Audi A3 - dull, can go expensively wrong

BMW 1er - too small to truly be a family car if you need a pram, might be ok with slightly older kids as long as they're not tall

Ford Focus - dull and cheap interior

Seat Leon - dull and cheap interior, plus VAG reliability/expense concerns

Vauxhall Astra - Looks good but very poor driving experience and cheap interior

Skoda Octavia - Your Mrs will complain it's "too big" and won't like the badge

Honda Civic - We hated our one, the interior just didn't wear well with kids and it was expensive to keep using the main dealer and had lots of annoying issues

Toyota Auris - zzzzzzzzzz

Mazda 3 - dull looking but a nice steer and decent interior, IMHO

Hyundai i30/Kia Cee'd - worthy but dull

Anything French - is French

It's a particularly dull and boring sector when you think about it.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Mazda 6 MPS?

--

Hungry Hungry Hippos at the Ritz champion 2012.

edfiasco said...

Mazda 6 MPS?

Same engine and 4wd but in a bigger child swallowing CX-7?

Peterlplp said...

edfiasco said...

Mazda 6 MPS?

Evonomics in action, excellent! I do like them though.

Thanks to JL and Rev... you seem to have forgotten about the Bravo and 147?

__CA__ said...

Peterlplp said...

edfiasco said...

Mazda 6 MPS?

There's a difference between forgot and ignored. 147GTA would be acceptable.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Passat estate is easily big enough to swallow kids & their gubbins.

Although ours has just had a knackered electronic handbrake, needs a whole new caliper @ £200-ish for the sake of a seized gear in the unnecessary extra mechanism. Bunch of arse.

--

It's not a Golf

Have a go in the Octavia vRS, we never considered a Skoda until I had an 11 plate 1.4TSi as a rental for about 2 months and although it was a fairly base spec car it was enough for me to not totally ignore Skoda when it came to buying.

Carl.

Slight bit of evonomics but what about this

Updated December 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

--

Strong Broo Racing

Petrol E90 3 Series

--

Cheers,
Mike

Dr Carlos said...

Have a go in the Octavia vRS, we never considered a Skoda until I had an 11 plate 1.4TSi as a rental for about 2 months and although it was a fairly base spec car it was enough for me to not totally ignore Skoda when it came to buying.

Carl.

Every time I have a ride in an Octavia diesel taxi I am impressed with the ride quality. Every women i have talked to about Skodas has a real issue with the brand.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

Dr Carlos said...

Carl.

Every time I have a ride in an Octavia diesel taxi I am impressed with the ride quality. Every women i have talked to about Skodas has a real issue with the brand.

Suggested a Fabia Monte Carlo to Mrs A and got "I'm not driving a fvcking Skoda - you can get one if you like but I'm not!" Skoda ain't made a sh1te car for decades I just don't get it! I thought this looked a decent motor !

--

Strong Broo Racing

__CA__ said...

Peterlplp said...

edfiasco said...

Mazda 6 MPS?

Having recently looked at CX-7s they seem to start at £7k and £8 for a 40k miler. That one in the ad is overpriced.

You don't really say what size of car you are after, Golf sized is implied??

Spend £6 on something with a big rear seat area (Signum maybe?) and the rest on getting a DVD and PS3 fitted which will make any journey a joy. The Signum is not exciting but the petrol 2.0 Turbo or 2.2i are reliable and fast enough, the rear is enormous and I managed 90k in 2 years with no major disasters.

Or get the CX7 and a tablet! :)

JL said...

HTH.

1. Grey
2. Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5 door manual

Looks like a pudding on wheels but is a head over heart purchase... I wanted a SR180 with 295 lb ft :shock: but it doesn't make any sense for the type of driving she does, it would never warm up properly.

I had an Auris as a courtesy car and it was horrific, the dash was light years behind and the engine had no discernibe power.

My wife got outdragged in a transit tipper. :lol:

She came back and said "we are never getting something that slow, it is useless!" :D Gradually upping the power from her 1.1 Uno has worked. :D

__CA__ said...

JL said...

HTH.

1. Grey
2. Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5 door manual

Looks like a pudding on wheels but is a head over heart purchase... I wanted a SR180 with 295 lb ft :shock: but it doesn't make any sense for the type of driving she does, it would never warm up properly.

The 2.2 180 engine is nice for a Derv and stacks of power too, made the Corolla Verso T180 a fun drive, but the D-CAT has a DPF and short journeys wouldn't do it any favours.

Petrol is the right choice.

Carl.

With the £5k to £7k budget there is alot of nice stuff out there.

If it was my money i would find best of this

Only in 280 in UK
180ps
0-60mph in 6'ss
147mph
Good Build Quaility

Not a Golf, Not Mini & Not a Renault

It is a Mitsubishi Colt though.

--

just the tip

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular