Forums > General > FAO Flewy

FAO FLEWY
Previous | 1 | Next

Brake binding issue.

Unrelated to the other thread, the front left caliper on the car is coming on after a mile and a half of driving. Ive noticed over the past fortnight that the brake has been slightly on when coming to a stop but this morning the issue developed. As the brake heats up more force is applied and the car needs to sit for a few minutes until the brake releases at which point it seems to be cooler again.

I've just stripped the caliper and greased the slide mechanism, although some more than normal force was required to get the piston to retract it wasn't totally seized. This solution worked for a few more miles and the caliper started grabbing again.

1) Replacement caliper

2) Intertard suggests a brake line could be at fault or master cylinder/ABS/end of the world etc.

Just wanted a second opinion. Everywhere is shut until the new year but I could get a brake line if that's a potential fault.

It'll probably be the piston sticking in the caliper. Depending what car it is it might be easier to just stick on a refurbed caliper.

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

John said...

It'll probably be the piston sticking in the caliper. Depending what car it is it might be easier to just stick on a refurbed caliper.

The exact route I'm going down, but I can't even order a caliper until Thursday. If a brake line is the issue I can swap that today and carry on as is.

I am clutching at straws in the hope I'm not going to have to find my way home on the train.

I had a sticking calliper on the wife's ka a few years back. Tended to stick as you drove, but was fine after rest -which I'd never seen before.

Cleaned and lubed. No better.

Swapped for another calliper. No better. :?

Realised at this point it was something weird. Found a way into the servo and sprayed it with a wad of wd40. After that it was fine - must have been the servo seal sticking and pulling some vacuum when the pedal wasn't being pressed.

Just tried that Mik.

Also, while stopped I applied the brake as hard as I could then released the pedal. I left the car for several minutes with the engine off for a period of that time and the brake was still stuck on when I tried to pull off. Looks certain it's a sticking piston.

You only need one brake for the car to work. Grease up the pad and disk face so that it doesn't work anymore then it will be fine. Worked well on my mates Polo during our trip from Bournemouth to London.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

You only need one brake for the car to work. Grease up the pad and disk face so that it doesn't work anymore then it will be fine. Worked well on my mates Polo during our trip from Bournemouth to London.

:roll:

Shakes head.

MR Orange Cola,

Check your PM

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Orange Cola said...

Just tried that Mik.

Also, while stopped I applied the brake as hard as I could then released the pedal. I left the car for several minutes with the engine off for a period of that time and the brake was still stuck on when I tried to pull off. Looks certain it's a sticking piston.

I'm guessing that the Pads move freely in the frame?

Most likely a sticking Piston, slightly Pikey way around it temporarily would be to lift caliper free from the frame, gently pump the brake pedal a couple of times so the piston comes out of the caliper a bit, lift the dust seal and squirt some WD40 inside, then carefully press the piston back in, fully home. When doing this open the Bleed nipple so the fluid comes out rather than go back up the pipe. Repeat this a few times, it should free up a bit, if not I can talk you through putting in a refurb kit (Seal, Piston, Dust Boot)

If you don't feel like the rebuild route, obv an exchange caliper will suffice. I'd replace both at the same time.
Carefully inspect the pads from the sticking side for overheating damage, you may need to replace them too.

Call me if you need any further assistance.

Updated December 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM

So you'd replace both front callipers while you're at it? I was hoping to get away with one refurb'd calliper and the original pads - they got hot but haven't over heated.

Edit to add: I thought about getting a seal kit but a replacement calliper is £80 on exchange so won't exactly break the bank.

The pads did move more freely when the brake dust had been rubbed off with a wire brush and the sliders started moving again when when they were cleaned and greased.

Updated December 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I would replace both yes.

I've rebuilt individual calipers sometime apart on the Ae111 and found that after one was done, clearly that one was more efficient than the other. Only became really annoying when braking heavily, the car would pull to the side with the better brake (o/s/f). That and in the wet the good one would reach lock up quicker than the other.

I know most people don't drive a car really hard all the time, and as such would propbably never know anything may be off, but in a sh1t or bust situation I'd rather know the brakes worked evenly rather than potentially altering my course (dependant on road condition) into oncoming traffic etc.

I'd certainly thouroughly check the other side to be sure and at least get a quick brake test on a brake meter to prove its up to scratch.

Edit - If the pads and discs are in serviceable, safe condition I would reuse them.

It would be a good time to replace the brake fluid too, if its last replacement date is unkown or longer than two years. Water in it is the most likely root cause for the corrosion that may be causing the piston to stick in the first place.

Updated December 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Cheers for the info. I followed your advice and picked up two callipers from a scrap yard (I've already nicked parts from the same car) and I've got them fitted. Discs are hardly worn but the new brakes came with almost brand new pads so I kept those and I'll keep the old ones spare.

I've tonnes of new brake fluid so flushed it through for now but it'll be getting a service in about two weeks time so it will all be renewed again.

Thanks again for the advice. Every day is a school day! Always good to know there's someone reliable 8)

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular