Forums > General > What was the sweet-spot of the 997 range?

WHAT WAS THE SWEET-SPOT OF THE 997 RANGE?
Previous | 12 | Next

Now that we're firmly on to bashing the next new 911, what was the real standout of the 997 range in terms of price v spec v performance? Caveat is that it needs to have four "seats" and be useable everyday... I won't pretend for a second that its going to be used on track regularly or that I'm just too evo to drive anything which isn't rattling my teeth to pieces on a daily basis.

I see that 997 Turbos are now available for sensible money, but am I right in thinking the 997 S was the pick of the range originally? Is the C4S really much more sure-footed and useable all year round in the northern wastelands of Jock-land?

All of the details about these ones have been somewhat lost in the fog of dull car ownership since my boy was born and its hard to keep up with magazine opinion at the best of time, particularly where 911s are concerned.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

The Carrera GTS run out special was probably the best deal as a new buy but I bet they'll hold their value well. I reckon the Carrera S is all the car most people would need.

--

just the tip

GT3, obviously :D

I wouldn't buy any with centre-lock wheels (which rules out most GTSs unfortunately) due to the second recall which has recently been issued for them - they are now described as a service item, with all four hubs needing replacement every 28,000 km or less. Clicky for a PH thread; ignore the fool who claims the centre lock wheels and hubs give more feel :lol::roll:

C2S is the sweet spot, I think, though you don't get the wide body. The boot space on a 4wd version is quite a bit smaller than 2wd, which would be persuasive to me over the extra driven wheels, even in Scotland.

To fulfil my big wing fantasy, the 997 GT3 (non RS) for everyday use would be the perfect compromise. Other than that, I prefer the basic Carerra for their simplicity and "purity".

BTW, I don't agree with the bashing of the newest model. It's slightly better looking than the 997 and sound magnificent.

I was lucky enough to drive a GTS on the road and track a couple of weeks ago and as an all rounder I can't see how the others could better it. Driving it back to back with my C2S the differences are immense.

The steering is heavier than the 997 or 997S which gives it a nice meaty feel. Less road noise in normal running which is much nicer on the motorway. All in all a nice relaxing car to drive in standard mode, just what you want for day to day stuff

Once it's in sport plus mode it becomes really fun. The PDK gear box is spot on, I thought it would be a hindrance on the track but it didn't miss a beat and I was actually faster when I just left it in auto mode. When really pushing you will get some under steer if you too gentle on the brakes but by throwing on the anchors deep into the corner, it corners like its on rails. Oh and the 405bhp is pretty tasty too.

Updated December 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Several tasty options in the pot depending on your budget.

C2S already mentioned (and already snapped up by a couple of forum members) is the "bargain" of the group.

Run-out GTS was reputedly very nicely honed, looked great and had close-to-GT3 power levels.

997.1 GT3 if you can afford it. Get a comfort spec and retro-fit rear seats and belts. Several on PCGB have already done so (to the upset of some purists). Not an option on the later varients as the rear floor section is thinner. Probably the best way to avoid depreciation losses whilst in your hands.

I'd gladly take any of the above, but GT3 would nudge it if I had the cash.

C2S. I'll have mine in Seal Grey please.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

C2S. I'll have mine in Seal Grey please.

this for me too. GT3 tempting but just too hard and impractical for regular use

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

BTW, I don't agree with the bashing of the newest model. It's slightly better looking than the 997 and sound magnificent.

Agreed. The new models never seem that special at first, because they're always being compared (consciously or otherwise) with the most recently-released models of the previous line - evolutions like the GT2/3 RS's. Of course they're not going to seem that special by comparison. As usual though, wait 'til the 991 turbo models, and watch how the new car swallows up and tames the power and opinions will surely change.

P.S. Regarding the "sweet spot" of the 997's, GT3 all day, but as that's not allowed, C2S.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I don't think it is better looking than the 997. It looks fat and a bit too fussy.

--

just the tip

C2S for me too please.

--

BMW Car Magazine

zedleg said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I don't think it is better looking than the 997. It looks fat and a bit too fussy.

Agreed. The back of the 991 looks pretty ugly IMO.

I had a Carrera 4, the drive to the front did not give out get out of jail grip. I'd go for a 2wd if going for another 911. For my helming skills, Scotland hooning a Impreza WRX with Prodrive Performance Pack is far less likely to launch me backwards in to the scenery.

I've seen a couple around here and I think they look gorgeous personally. Perfectly proportioned, less bulbous than previous generations and with a tautness of line.

--

BMW Car Magazine

I bought a C2S. So should you. ;)

Everyone raves about the GTS but I'd imagine they're still around the £55-60k mark at least, and will hold their value. The C2S is all the car you'll ever need and you can buy a lovely example for far less than that. 997.1 Turbo is also a bit of a bargain IMO for the prices they can be had for these days.

It depends to an extent what you're looking for. Turbos are hilariously quick and capable but they're rarely the best-looking 911s to my mind due to the additional fat the wide body and all the additional coolers/rads add, and you lose a fair bit of the noise. Some people will tell you that the base model is always the 911 to go for and that the base Carrera has the sweetest ride and handling due to the smaller wheels. Personally I'd sooner have the S version's additional power and active dampers.

A friend of mine bought a C4S about the same time as I bought my C2S - he reckons you rarely feel the difference that the additional drive makes and he also points out that the boot is smaller to accommodate the 4WD gubbins.

I think the 997 is quite a bit better looking than the 991; the new one seems almost like a caricature of the old models and I don't like the tapered light covers. I also don't like the way the wheels are now closer to the corners; a 911 is supposed to have overhangs.

So, I'll add my vote to the 997 C2S camp. Surprised? You should be...:D

--

Dreaming big, achieving little.

Having driven a variety of 997s (Carrera S, GT3, Turbo, C4s, Carrera, Carrera S convertible :roll:, GTS) on both road and track, I cannot fathom a better sporty all rounder than the GTS mit PDK.

As is oftentimes the case with Porsche, the final development phase brought a really focused, purified driver's car that might not be a GT3 or Turbo beater in terms of raw performance, but a back to basics 911 that includes all the best bits of the range and is just enormous fun to drive whatever the conditions. As long as you made sure to tick the correct boxes on the options list, of course.

Updated December 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

--

Cunt

Having driven both c2s and c4s on the Porsche track at silverstone both with the computers on while on the raggedy of grip I'd have to say I'd take the c2s. The steering is sweeter the balance coming out of corners is better and traction is huge.
Granted with the c4s you could go faster on wet roads but then you will be so far beyond the legal limits it would be silly. The c2s would be more fun at slightly slower speeds in the wet.
C2s is a more rewarding drive IMO. Only buy the c4s if you live in the alps.

--

For sure

Jobbo said...

GT3, obviously :D

I wouldn't buy any with centre-lock wheels (which rules out most GTSs unfortunately) due to the second recall which has recently been issued for them - they are now described as a service item, with all four hubs needing replacement every 28,000 km or less.

WTF :shock:

28,000km is naff all. The first generation 997 GT3s still had normal wheel bolts & hubs, right?

Wonder if the Carrera GT has been hit with the same thing that they're considered as a service item now.

Centre locks are completely pointless on a road car anyway. It's a pointless re-invention of the wheel nut/bolt on a road car. On a race car, they're still relevant.

Marv is correct - and a 997.1 GT3 did indeed still have 5 normal wheelnuts.

Surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss about the centre locks, to be honest. The inconvenience of having to use a torque multiplier to tighten them up was bad enough, let alone the fact that they seem to keep failing prematurely.

If we're talking my money with my current circumstances, I'd go for a C2S for all the reasons that have been listed.

If I win £100,00 I'd have a GT3 (non RS)

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular