Forums > evo magazine > 179

Previous | 1 | Next

Nice cover ;-)

Beautiful photos throughout the feature article.
And nice to see the Capri and LP640 again.

had a quick scan and it looks really good

however WTF is that awful cannonball DVD ... warning bells where sounding when they started using that dire marketing term "lifestyle".... one of the worst things I have ever watched, well as much of it as I could tolerate, even Jackass did a better job of covering it

I didn't have any fire to kill it with so this will have to do

Updated December 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM

--

WIBBLE

Why does the One-77 have British plates on the cover and arabic ones inside?

They could have used one of these :lol:

--

Whiskey is my yoga

wtf is that. you'd totally buy one for your granny if you had a one77, just for the comedy value.

It is a Hyundai coupe thing. But considering that Ford is the jilted ex the Aston look is very popular.

--

Whiskey is my yoga

simonrockman said...

Why does the One-77 have British plates on the cover and arabic ones inside?

^this and a slightly different hue as well?

--

Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.

colour correction, or a different camera, or slightly off white balance to make the rest of the photo look alright.

Perhaps british plates to send the subliminal message that it was being driven on british roads? you see veyrons or w/e on the cover of competing magazines with UAE plates, and all they do is drive it really fast down a straight road in the desert. Perhaps they were or trying to avoid this association before people had even opened the magazine.

OR, perhaps it's an insight into the view taken by the publisher/editor/art director on the xenophobic nature of the general populace?

I thought Harry's 'Insider' column was pretty dire. Not badly written, just wrongness from start to finish.

He's been pretty negative about the whole EV movement from the start, which is fine, but he needs to remember that for most people cars are white goods, nothing more. And these people drive a ton of miles.

We, as people who actually enjoy driving, should be championing reducing the need to travel, working from home etc. If less people drove everywhere (like, everywhere), then there would be less of a need to 'target' the driver to try and change buying and use habits.

So no, everyone driving Rangies would NOT help - it would make things even worse, because it is patently obvious that raising tax revenue is NOT the only motivation behind VED / road pricing / whatever.

It's not about tax revenue, it's about minimising the harm to the environment and reducing our exposure to volatile fuel import markets. A magazine that champions driving should be supporting initiatives that keep personal transport as a viable option if you ask me.

Which no one did.

--

El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Sisu said...

They could have used one of these :lol:

The 0-77 looks like a love affair of your picture above and this below

Sorry Aston got it wrong for me.......

FaceFirst said...

I thought Harry's 'Insider' column was pretty dire. Not badly written, just wrongness from start to finish.

He's been pretty negative about the whole EV movement from the start, which is fine, but he needs to remember that for most people cars are white goods, nothing more. And these people drive a ton of miles.

We, as people who actually enjoy driving, should be championing reducing the need to travel, working from home etc. If less people drove everywhere (like, everywhere), then there would be less of a need to 'target' the driver to try and change buying and use habits.

So no, everyone driving Rangies would NOT help - it would make things even worse, because it is patently obvious that raising tax revenue is NOT the only motivation behind VED / road pricing / whatever.

It's not about tax revenue, it's about minimising the harm to the environment and reducing our exposure to volatile fuel import markets. A magazine that champions driving should be supporting initiatives that keep personal transport as a viable option if you ask me.

Which no one did.

+1

The constant Range Rover plugs are really irritating me actually, yes, we know you love them harry but they are 2.5 ton trucks. WTF are they doing getting mentioned in EVO every month??!!

There is a good reason for being negative about EVs. They don't sell. Harry's figure of 0.06% is very telling.

and battery-based vehicle are an awful idea in general. awful economically, awful environmentally, awful emotionally.

lithium is a finite resource, the vast majority of which is controlled by china. last i checked most western governments were trying to limit their fiscal dependancy on the activities of china?

EV's may not quite be the future that they are hyped to be, but lower fuel use is a very a good idea for all sorts of reasons and Harry's £0.02 was very narrow in focus and not just for the Rangie plug.

That EV's don't sell is one thing. Suggesting Rangies as an alternative is a non sequiter to say the least. And suggesting a garage brimming with cars is taking the piss. Sure, that would be nice for the few who actually like cars. But many people can't really afford one car, let alone loads of them. Rio Ferdinand's New Years tweet springs to mind.

And also, here's a thought: Maybe cars like Range Rovers and X5's and their pointless ilk are a major part of the problem. The tiny minority of people who actually NEED a decent 4x4 is vastly overshadowed by people buying these things as status symbols. I bet the environmental impact is actually minimal, but this type of car is the poster boy for the Selfish Motorist. Unlike super cars, big 4x4 are actually used, piling up huge miles, and are totally unnecessary in the most part. I know they drive well, that some of them are quite fuel efficient, and that they are reasonably practical, but... But they are an easy target and we all suffer because of it. I know, I know, personal choice etc. But still...

The main thrust of his argument was that if we all paid more tax through burning more fuel, then everything would be hunky dory. Which, as I'm sure you've spotted, is bollocks. Where does the money come from to buy and run these expensive cars? In Zonda land the effects of the recession might be a minor inconvenience, but in the real world people want to minimise their car costs so they have money to spend on more important stuff.

Also, his constant attacks on the 'green agenda' are in danger of making the whole magazine look like the sort of sneering 'I'm alright Jack' outfit that blights those twats at Top Gear. If he wants to go toe to toe on climate change issues then I'm game. If he wants to use his magazine as a platform for is personal views then that's his prerogative, but I'll be unsubscribing if that is the case.

People who like to drive need to realise that most people who own and use cars would rather not drive. Most people who own and use cars couldn't give a shite about dynamic poise, perfect lines or rev-matched downshifts. They just want to get to work / the shops / school etc. And it is these people who are burning shed-loads of fuel without even thinking about it, some of them in a pointless front-drive jeep-a-like that they bought because they are scared when they overtake a lorry etc.

So when measures to discourage fuel use are introduced, sure, these people pay from their pockets, but people who actually like to drive pay far more in terms of enjoyment, image, choice of vehicles etc etc.

Personally, I think Evo should champion sensible measures that would safeguard the enjoyment of driving for the minority (and we are a minority). To do this, you need to get people off the roads and in to other modes of transport, you need cars that are environmentally viable, and you need to not present the 'enthusiast' as selfish and arrogant.

All IMHO, of course.

--

El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

I think EV's in some form will be the future - DNO's are already making preperations on next future 25year data to make sure we can all charge up without capacity issues.

The governments own numbers seem on the weak side, compared to the number of EV points (some subsidised) which I am currently managing on large scale new residential and comemrcial devleopments.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular