Forums > General > Dealer tax

DEALER TAX
Previous | 1 | Next

My Mum took her Honda in for a recall and while the car was in for the work the dealer inspected the car and issued a quote to repair the mechanical defects.

1x tyre - tyre on car had 3+mm still on it :roll:
Set of rear brake pads (still had material on them but needed doing anyway)
1x Bulb for the rear number plate
1x Foggy headlamp

The headlamp unit wasn't that much in the total.

£832.

:shock:

Updated December 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Sounds fair

What model? Unless it's NSX or S2000, Honda do fixed price repairs on the common stuff - most are £105 for rear brake pads/shoes fitted. Tyre can't be that expensive, nor the bulb. So what did the headlight unit cost?

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpricerepairs/

Updated December 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM

that is shockingly bad! :shock:

stealers :roll:

--

Nuts on the road

Orange Cola said...

My Mum took her Honda in for a recall and while the car was in for the work the dealer inspected the car and issued a quote to repair the mechanical defects.

You do know that manufacturers create recalls to drum up trade for their dealers right? Sounds far fetched but its true. And it worked.

Updated December 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

She walked away (yesterday) and we managed to find a set of brake pads for £15 so we fitted them in about half an hour.

I'll get a break down of the cost but it was over £250 for the brakes and £24 for the bulb.

£205 for the breaks? Simon (above) mentions fixed price replacement. Dealer tyre prices are always good for a laugh though.

Are you going to name and shame the dealer so that other people can avoid?

Tyre: £90
Brake pads: £257.52 (£129.60 is parts)
Headlamp: £460.57 (£341.31 is parts)
Bulb: £24
Total: £832.09

:lol:

I take it you're going to sort these things for her instead?

The headlamp can probably be removed and dried, then you can probably have a good look at it and see where it's leaking and possibly seal it using a decent silicon sealant?

--

Speed holes.

£24 for a numberplate bulb! :shock: :lol:

--

Speed holes.

Yep, the pads we fitted on the drive for £15.66 and the bulb was 70p. The headlight unit we will get from a scrappy for about £35/£40.

Orange Cola said...

Yep, the pads we fitted on the drive for £15.66 and the bulb was 70p. The headlight unit we will get from a scrappy for about £35/£40.

Good darts, the sad thing is there's always the odd customer (and I mean odd) who will just pay it. A friend has paid £2k in repairs to his 03 Golf diseasal in the last year, the car is worth maybe £1.5k...crazy given I've offered my help many times over.

Orange Cola said...

Tyre: £90
Brake pads: £257.52 (£129.60 is parts)
Headlamp: £460.57 (£341.31 is parts)
Bulb: £24
Total: £832.09

Looks a bit steep really, I guess they'd be charging an hour per side to fit the pads (bit naughty really) and £129.60 for the pads is a joke.
But, given the size of the overheads involved in running a main dealer its no big surprise.

Toyota are wallet raiding wankers too - Not that I've bought any of these parts but have a laugh at this list.

For my 1985 AE86.....

Manual non assisted steering rack - £937 inc vat:shock:
(you couldn't get a simpler rack and pinion if you tried!)

Steering Column - £1097 inc vat:shock:

Steering Column Universal Joint - £147 inc vat

Distributor - £590 inc vat

Throttle Switch - £212 inc vat

MAP Sensor - £220 inc vat

Ignition Coil - £240 inc vat

Ignition Module (sadly needed, only available from Toyota) £250 inc vat.

Weirdly though, 4x dampers for the AE111 were £48 each and a front wing for the ST163 was £110:?

They seem to charge the earth for serviceable items. I'm guess the reason the body work is cheap is because they don't put much through of that type so in the grand scheme of things it's relatively insignificant when you DNA make a load on the normal stuff.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular