Forums > General > Top spec small vs Bigger basic

TOP SPEC SMALL VS BIGGER BASIC
Previous | 123 | Next

Still mulling over the new Beemer options. So, something like a 120d SE with all the bits and bobs, or a 520d with maybe just one or two options. Which would you go for? Think I'm in the bigger basic camp, at least at the moment. Interestng though, and going the other way, an M135i is the same as a basic 520d...

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

ShockDiamonds said...

an M135i is the same as a basic 520d...

Nuff said SD. 8)

McSwede said...

ShockDiamonds said...

an M135i is the same as a basic 520d...

Nuff said SD. 8)

Yeah I know, talk about tempting. Fuel economy though is the prime reason for looking, even after having sworn blind I would never buy another diesel. 'M' claims around 35mpg so probably high 20s in reality. 520 would be high 40s perhaps so would slice our fuel bill in half at least.

--

125d ?

--

Strong Broo Racing

I'm a big believer in the "space is luxury" ethos, especially when you have a youngster and all their gubbins to cart about, and a 520d is hardly poverty spec.

An M135i would be great, though ;)

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

I tend to look at it this way. If you do lots of miles would you rather do it in a small car or large car? I'd rather do 30,000 in a year in a 5 series. If I constantly pottered about town I'd rather use the 1 series.
I'd take the 5 series.

--

For sure

YOu could get a toy filled large car for a lot less than a 520D if you looked away from the Beemer catalogue!

Of your choice, the 1er is hideously ugly, the 5 is a good looking car.

If it is mostly for cruising though, have you tried an E class?

2.0 diesel in something the size of a 5 series. I cant beleive youd have to ask!

Buying a brand new car on the basis of fuel economy is idiotic.

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

Looked at the E-Class but don't like the interior. Is quite square in design and doesn't really feel all that well made. Why is it idiotic Tim? I'd like a new car and I'd like it to be quite frugal :roll:

--

ShockDiamonds said...

Looked at the E-Class but don't like the interior. Is quite square in design and doesn't really feel all that well made. Why is it idiotic Tim? I'd like a new car and I'd like it to be quite frugal :roll:

why not have both top spec and big, buy one that's a few years old. Oh yeah, this is SD, buy one that's a few years old and pay £10k more than its worth.

--

Cheers

Rich

ShockDiamonds said...

What you need is a Timculator :lol:

ShockDiamonds said...

rolly eyes? i cant beleive you need it explained to you.

how many miles do you do a year?

lets say you save £2000 on the increased mpgzzz and cheap tax, but to achieve that you need to spend ££,£££ on buying the car in the first place

its a new car. depreciation, do you want that bit explained too?

So Tims point is, buying a new car on the basis of an mpgzzz saving, when you look at the sum you need to outlay and loose to "acheive" that saving, the whole process should suddenly make no sense

Compared to the sums the car will be costing and loosing in depreciation, the fuel cost saving is tiny in comparison.

You're ignoring the fact that I've decided I want a new car, not a used one. I want to spec my own car. And when it arrives, I want it to be frugal.

--

scotta said...

125d ?

I think it's only available with the M Sport suspension. Haven't driven one but I suspect it may be too hard.

--

ShockDiamonds said...

You're ignoring the fact that I've decided I want a new car, not a used one. I want to spec my own car. And when it arrives, I want it to be frugal.

buy what you want then and stop asking daft questions.

--

Cheers

Rich

What do you actually want?

If it's a 5 series then stick to one within budget. No point down-sizing for the sake of a few toys.

Rich B said...

ShockDiamonds said...

Alternatively you could read the opening post properly :lol:

--

NotoriousREV said...

I'm a big believer in the "space is luxury" ethos, especially when you have a youngster and all their gubbins to cart about, and a 520d is hardly poverty spec.

An M135i would be great, though ;)

Rev is correct. I can't believe that a 2 litre diesel is enough engine for such a big car though. Although I've never driven one so this is just small engine prejudice on my part :lol:.

--

I often drive for a road travel

ShockDiamonds said...

Rich B said...

ShockDiamonds said...

Alternatively you could read the opening post properly :lol:

i think you should tbh. The only car that suits what you've asked for is a 120d SE with lots if options. Otherwise, you may as well buy one that someone else has specced for far less.

--

Cheers

Rich

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular